View Single Post
Old 18-04-2021, 01:31 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
20 April 1991 saw the 'rematch' against Everton, only a couple of weeks after our ZDS Trophy triumph.

It was a scrappy and ill-tempered game which ended goalless, as mentioned earlier in the thread the goals had started to dry up for us at home and this made only two goals in our last four home matches - unusually, these had been played consecutively with no away league game to break them up.

The main memory from this game was of course Martin Keown's 'revenge mission'. He had been left battered and bruised from the ZDS game and had evidently decided that someone was going to pay. That person was Eric Young and the moment came fairly late on at the Whitehorse end. I can still clearly recall it from my vantage point on the Holmesdale, as Young went up for a header near the corner of the penalty area Keown jumped alongside and thrust his elbow hard into Young's face. The referee had a clear view of it and it was a red card all day long. I suppose Keown must have felt that it was worth it. As far as I can recall Young was forced off due to the extent of his injuries. I wonder how big a deal the papers made of that assault at the time.