View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 06:37 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Interesting to read those articles. Although the ZDS final was obviously a less prestigious game than either the League Cup or FA Cup, there was still something of a buzz around Croydon in the week leading up to the game and as mentioned the more open sale of tickets meant most people had the opportunity to be there. We certainly turned up in greater numbers than Everton, who were more indifferent to the tournament as seasoned members of the 'big five' at the time - only a few years previously they had briefly been the dominant force in the game with two league wins, an FA Cup and a Cup Winners' Cup in the space of four seasons. Although they had gone off the boil a bit since then they were big spenders in an attempt to recapture those glories.

I remember approaching the game with a feeling of confidence, I saw us as Everton's equals and if we were on our game there was no reason to fear them at all. It was a different feeling to the FA Cup final a year previously - that was much more about the occasion and soaking up the experience, this time the focus was very much on winning a game of football.

Also love Coppell's quotes, particularly 'we are not thugs and I hope Sunday will prove it'...I will check back in later with my recollections of the game itself but for now suffice to say that we left our mark on one or two Everton players!