Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 07-12-2020, 07:43 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
I am toying with the idea of getting a semi acoustic guitar as most of my playing is done unplugged. Has anyone on here got, or played, a Gretsch G5410t or G5420t? From what I have seen online they have very similar specs, the 5410 is slightly slimmer and has a satin finish as opposed to the 5420ís glossy finish.

Some of the reviews I have read make a point of praising the 5410ís unplugged sound, I have seen a suggestion that the satin finish might make a difference to the sound.

Am I correct in thinking that a hollow body should sound better unplugged than a centre block? I will of course go into a shop to try the different options but thought it worth asking for opinion on here.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:04 AM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Semi acoustics definitely sound better in the bedroom unplugged than a solid body but you wouldn't want to play one when someone other than you is listening - a person speaking in a normal voice is as loud. Even full hollow body electrics (which definitely make more noise) really need plugging in, though I guess they're ok at a pinch. If you're going to play unplugged, buy a proper acoustic.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 08-12-2020, 07:08 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
What’s the reason for playing unplugged?

I’ve got a couple of these: VOX AP2AC amPlug 2 AC30 Guitar/Bass Headphone Amplifier To view the link you have to Register or Login

It’s another useful little toy to be able to play electric without waking up the kids/annoying Mrs Tomo
Old 08-12-2020, 11:28 AM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I haven't yet. You useless bastards haven't come up with any suggestions. Leaning towards a Vox.
I use a red truck these days and love it, but that might be more basic than you need/want.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:16 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
Semi acoustics definitely sound better in the bedroom unplugged than a solid body but you wouldn't want to play one when someone other than you is listening - a person speaking in a normal voice is as loud. Even full hollow body electrics (which definitely make more noise) really need plugging in, though I guess they're ok at a pinch. If you're going to play unplugged, buy a proper acoustic.
Yes, the common sense thing would be to get an acoustic, I imagine that I could get a better sounding acoustic for half the price of the Gretsch g5410t. On the other hand if I go for the Gretsch then I get what is supposed to be a decent acoustic as well as a good second electric (I already have a Telcaster).

I have lusted after a Gretsch semi acoustic since I went to my first Cramps gig in the eighties, though that probably had a lot to do with the fact that Poison Ivy was playing it.

Last edited by Smoz; 08-12-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:20 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Whatís the reason for playing unplugged?

Iíve got a couple of these: VOX AP2AC amPlug 2 AC30 Guitar/Bass Headphone Amplifier To view the link you have to Register or Login

Itís another useful little toy to be able to play electric without waking up the kids/annoying Mrs Tomo
I have a couple of Vox headphone amps, which are great for what they are. I also have a Blackstar Fly 3 mini practise amp, which is also good for what it is (a three watt bedroom practise amp). However most of the time I prefer to just pick up my Telecaster and noodle around without setting anything up.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:17 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's View Post
I use a red truck these days and love it, but that might be more basic than you need/want.
Thanks, Tim. Will check it out.
Old 28-12-2020, 10:08 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Iíve even used mine through a tiny battery run amp that you plug directly into the guitar and have use headphones for, so pretty much anything.

Iím sure better guitarists may think differently, but I think as any amateur guitarist who plays alone, itís the best tool you can get.

You can change the tempo and different styles as a backing track (maybe 12 different options), so if you learn a song you can usually find something that will go behind it well enough to make it sound like you know what youíre doing!

Thank you for the suggestion, Santa turned up trumps and it has been keeping me amused for hours.

If I take my hands off the guitar I get a mains hum even when using the headphones. Is this normal?

As an aside those cheeky scamps at GAK have it their sale for £165 reduced from £199. Santa got it from them for £159 before Christmas.
Old 28-12-2020, 12:50 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Funnily enough I was going to post last night to see if anyone had got it.
It is a lot of fun to use isn’t it.

Ermmm not sure actually.
Old 28-12-2020, 06:48 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidster View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, Santa turned up trumps and it has been keeping me amused for hours.

If I take my hands off the guitar I get a mains hum even when using the headphones. Is this normal?

As an aside those cheeky scamps at GAK have it their sale for £165 reduced from £199. Santa got it from them for £159 before Christmas.
Mine has a "hum" like a neighbour's lawn mower - annoying but not disqualifying. I haven't managed to isolate it yet. Obviously if everything runs through batteries (a la Tomo), there will be no hum at all.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 28-12-2020, 07:56 PM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
Mine has a "hum" like a neighbour's lawn mower - annoying but not disqualifying. I haven't managed to isolate it yet. Obviously if everything runs through batteries (a la Tomo), there will be no hum at all.
Itís only a two pin plug so Iím guessing itís an earthing issue. Still a lot of fun.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:38 PM

Smithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
During this lock down my son has bought all the various parts and built his own strat (his first time).

He's now losing his bottle a little bit on doing the electronics. Has anyone got any recommendations of someone that would be interested in doing them ? Not too far from Croydon would be good.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:50 PM
one love

AJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ8 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers-Jones View Post
During this lock down my son has bought all the various parts and built his own strat (his first time).

He's now losing his bottle a little bit on doing the electronics. Has anyone got any recommendations of someone that would be interested in doing them ? Not too far from Croydon would be good.
David Kennett is my go to man for set ups and other work, heís based in Sutton and I canít recommend him enough. He has been on the Repair Shop a couple of times and builds custom guitars , knows his stuff...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 02-02-2021, 09:58 PM
Correctamundo !

Another Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers-Jones View Post

Jon at Feline Guitars in Croydon is a bloody master of anything 6 string related -

Old 02-02-2021, 10:02 PM

Smithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks guys 👍
Old 04-02-2021, 11:02 PM

Just to let you know Feline guitars sorted me... thanks again
Old 18-02-2021, 06:21 AM
CANDUB

Lockdown fever was alleviated yesterday. Bought from Holland ( fine ) , delivered by UPS ( not so fine ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5AD95AD7-DE4C-4DB6-A9EB-ADFE006EF7A7.jpeg (1,015.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 18-02-2021, 06:32 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Ooh, you got a Jag.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 18-02-2021, 06:43 AM
CANDUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Ooh, you got a Jag.
Two Jags, if you include the Squier which introduced me to the world of short scale.
Old 18-02-2021, 06:59 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidster View Post
Two Jags, if you include the Squier which introduced me to the world of short scale.
I dont.

Back in the early sixties my brother in law had a Jaguar, used to play the circuit round the South and was a regular in The Gun. One day he gets a call from an acquaintance "Hi mate, been told you play a Fender Jaguar? Well listen we have an act on at the Fairfield tonight and he plays one too, trouble is that his has been lost on luggage on his flight from the US. We really need to source one for his gig tonight, would you mind lending it to him...we will give you some tickets?"

BiL agrees, hands over the guitar at the stage door and sits down to watch Buddy Guy play the **** out of his Jaguar.

Goes back stage to retrieve the guitar, meets the.main man who grabs it and then signs the back of it to say thank you. BiL is not happy and gets it repeated.....years later, after kicking himself for years over his stupidity, he finds himself at Buddy Guys club in Chicago. He has a chat to the management (who turns out to be Buddys daughter) tells them this story. Within days he gets a signed photo from the man and a letter telling him not to erase this signature.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.