Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 09-04-2021, 03:41 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Tokyo Ska Treasures
Old 09-04-2021, 04:34 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Yep, superb old skool stuff.
There was a fairly decent Britfunk article in the Guardian last week: To view the link you have to Register or Login

One of the comments made me want to set fire to the internet and send Alan Rusbridger the bill though:

Quote:
It's a local scene, a bit naff (as these things tend to be).

Very little of the music has stood up well - and to be the scene which caused funky brass sections to be liberally scattered all over 80s mainstream is not much of a legacy (unless I've missed the critical re-evaluation of the Style Council). But that was how music worked when it was scarce - you went to see the acts that were around, and there was always excitement around a building scene, and every club DJ or radio presenter who had access to the latest tracks (particularly if they from the US) built a following, so its the sort of thing which is memorable to those involved, even if the music was insubstantial.
Wanker.

Anyway, current listening is Mr Fingers - Cerebral Hemispheres.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:48 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
There was a fairly decent Britfunk article in the Guardian last week: To view the link you have to Register or Login

One of the comments made me want to set fire to the internet and send Alan Rusbridger the bill though:

Wanker.

Anyway, current listening is Mr Fingers - Cerebral Hemispheres.
Is he the bloke that wrote an article for the Grauniad on the top ten Britfunk tunes about 6 years ago? The Iist was so obviously misinformed and contained glaring omissions and was written from a contemptuous and snobby viewpoint?

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:11 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Is he the bloke that wrote an article for the Grauniad on the top ten Britfunk tunes about 6 years ago? The Iist was so obviously misinformed and contained glaring omissions and was written from a contemptuous and snobby viewpoint?
The comment was from a reader; the recent article itself was by Alex Petridis who seems all right, generally.

This looks like the piece you're talking about: To view the link you have to Register or Login. I'm no expert but it is an odd list.

Now onto:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

and

To view the link you have to Register or Login

from Favorite Recordings, whose French and Caribbean compilations are also excellent.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:30 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Actually, I think there has been a critical evaluation of The Style Council, probably by people who didn't want to like them in the first place.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:38 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's View Post
Actually, I think there has been a critical evaluation of The Style Council, probably by people who didn't want to like them in the first place.
Not that my opinion counts but I've always preferred them to The Jam or Weller's solo output.

Speaking of such things, Hifi Sean*'s remixes of Fire Island & Loleatta Holloway's "Shout to the Top" are tremendous: To view the link you have to Register or Login

*aka him off of the Soup Dragons
Old 09-04-2021, 05:49 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Cake- Fashion Nugget
Old 09-04-2021, 06:44 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Not that my opinion counts but I've always preferred them to The Jam or Weller's solo output.

Speaking of such things, Hifi Sean*'s remixes of Fire Island & Loleatta Holloway's "Shout to the Top" are tremendous: To view the link you have to Register or Login

*aka him off of the Soup Dragons
Agree with this. Liked the Jam loved the Style Council but his solo stuff left me cold

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 11-04-2021, 08:35 AM
Thinking

Bintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is here
Started the day listening to Fairport Convention, Who Knows Where the Time Goes?

Now for the 100th time since I bought the album in 1969.
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

Having one of those days. Home alone and I can play what I want.
Love it

May try some Incredible Spring Band later.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:37 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Tinariwen again, this time it's the Aman Iman album.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:55 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Ultravox- Vienna
Quincy Jones- The Dude
Taylor Swift- Folklore
Old 13-04-2021, 06:44 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Samantha Crain - Bloomsday

This song's really got stuck in my head. Partly because it's great, but also because it contains the words...

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine,

I just cannot for the life of me remember which song originally included those lyrics or who sang them. So far I've resisted the urge to Google it, not sure how much longer I'll be able to though
Old 13-04-2021, 07:31 PM

legaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is here
Phil & Dave Alvin 'World's In A Bad Condition' from 'Lost Time'

Reminds me why The Blasters were such a breath of fresh air back in the day
Old 14-04-2021, 05:57 PM

Taylor Swift- Evermore
Ultravox- Rage In Eden
Bon Iver- For Emma Forever Ago
Makoto Matsushita- First Light
Old 15-04-2021, 05:35 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
I tried both of those Taylor Swift albums you’ve mentioned on this page, which as WCB would put it, millennial guardian hipsters hype up.

Just found myself bored, couldn’t make it through either one. But more thoughtful than her earlier catalogue, I guess.
Old 15-04-2021, 06:15 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I enjoy Time Radio between 7 and 8 PM as they play soul I haven’t heard for years.
Old 19-04-2021, 06:02 PM

Bryan Ferry - Let’s Stick Together
Old 19-04-2021, 06:12 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Those Ferry solo / cover albums from the 70s are sooooo much better than Bowie managed with "Pinups".
Old 19-04-2021, 07:26 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Those Ferry solo / cover albums from the 70s are sooooo much better than Bowie managed with "Pinups".
Yes. Recently bought the live at the Albert Hall album. Great fun.
Old 20-04-2021, 09:15 AM
Mutant Algorithm

Shoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is here
Virginmarys. Definitely one of those bands who should be massive but just haven't hit people's radars yet.