Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 15-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Goodbye baseball!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
I went to this game, I can only assume it must have been during the school holidays. Eric beating Thorstvedt to the ball seemed like a miracle as we seemed to struggle scoring past him. He was like a pre Schmeichel... Well Schmeichel I guess.
Old 15-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Fading into memory.

E.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Recall it was a freezing cold night for that Spurs game and wearing a heavy duty overcoat, as I took my place on the Whitehorse terrace. Also think I’m right in saying Simon Osbourn started for us – not sure if this was his first start or even appearance for the first team. Either way was keen to see how he did, as was seen as a great prospect around that time.
Where I can't be seen, I don't wanna be free
Old 15-04-2021, 01:04 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
PALACE 1 Young
SPURS 0

Att: 26,285

Palace: Martyn Humphrey Bodin Pardew Young Thorn Salako Bright Wright McGoldrick Subs: Collymore (Salako) Osborn (Bright)

Spurs: Thorsvedt Hughton Van den Hauwe Polston Mabbutt Gascoigne Howells Moncur Nayim Lineker Walsh Subs: Robson (Gascoigne) Polston (for Moncur)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 15-04-2021, 01:17 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
PALACE 1 Young
SPURS 0

Att: 26,285

Palace: Martyn Humphrey Bodin Pardew Young Thorn Salako Bright Wright McGoldrick Subs: Collymore (Salako) Osborn (Bright)
Anyone recall whether this was Bod's 1st league start of the season? I just noticed his name for the 1st time.
Old 15-04-2021, 01:22 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
A game I've never forgotten. Not so much for the match itself, but what it meant. At the final whistle we'd heard Leeds had lost 2-0 at QPR, which meant with just four games to go, we were 7pts clear of both Leeds and Man U. European qualification was virtually ours.

Unusually for me i sat in the Old Stand for this one. It was the Sunday after Spurs superb win at the first FA Cup semi final to be played at Wembley, against Arsenal. Gascoigne had scored the kind of free kick that had me and my mates (all neutrals) watching on TV, jumping about the room in sheer excitement of what we'd just seen.

The good thing was, the euphoric victory left Spurs a little low in energy come this match, and it was quite a comfortable 1-0 if i recall. But my main memory is the glow of happiness i felt at the final whistle. My brother and me had vowed that if we got to Europe, we would definitely go to the first away game wherever it sent us. The excitement, that i'd finally see my Palace team in European competition just felt great. This just felt like the pivotal win as the papers alluded to and perhaps we would mathematically clinch it against Everton on the Saturday.

The following day, UEFA met in London to discuss Liverpool's application to rescind their European ban that still had two further years to go. To everybody's absolute shock and horror, UEFA chairman Lennart Johansson announced that the ban had been overturned and Liverpool were reinstated to European competition with immediate effect. I can't actually recall when I heard the news (maybe the Advertiser), but come Saturday's game at home to Everton everyone knew and the atmosphere was just one of real hurt and sorrow. The players played like they had the stuffing knocked out of them and a normally reticent Steve Coppell went beserk, calling out the FA for not working in Palace's best interests. I'll write more about it in the Everton report.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 15-04-2021, 01:49 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I thought the UEFA thing was some time around now. At this stage Liverpool did still have the league title in their sights of course.

The rest of the league table is quite an interesting read. Despite their dire run Spurs were still eighth - but only four points above Sheffield United in 16th in a massively congested mid-table. The Blades' great escape was now all but complete - having looked absolutely dead and buried at Christmas they now only stood a mathematical chance of relegation on goal difference. Derby look all but down and things were also starting to look grim for Sunderland unless they could win their game in hand.

Worth noting that all of the modern day 'big six' are also in the top nine of this league table. Back then of course Leeds were also considered a big club albeit re-acclimatising to the top division, so the only real party poopers were us and good old Wimbledon in seventh.

Finally, you have to go all the way down to Sheffield United in 16th to find a team which had scored fewer goals than us at home, backing up the point I made a week or two back about our lacks of goals outside of Wright and Bright being our downfall. If 'downfall' is the right word for a team which finished third!
Old 15-04-2021, 03:37 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Anyone recall whether this was Bod's 1st league start of the season?
Yes, it was his debut.
Old 15-04-2021, 03:46 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
I was at this one and I remember for Eric's winning goal, he went up for a challenge with the Spurs keeper (can't recall his name, Norweigan guy ?) who dropped the ball and Ninja tapped into an empty net. I was at the other end, but even from where I was, it seemed a clear foul on the keeper and I was astonished (but delighted) the goal stood.
I don't think Venables was very happy about it !
Old 15-04-2021, 03:56 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Yes, it was his debut.
Cheers Elwiss
Old 18-04-2021, 01:31 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
20 April 1991 saw the 'rematch' against Everton, only a couple of weeks after our ZDS Trophy triumph.

It was a scrappy and ill-tempered game which ended goalless, as mentioned earlier in the thread the goals had started to dry up for us at home and this made only two goals in our last four home matches - unusually, these had been played consecutively with no away league game to break them up.

The main memory from this game was of course Martin Keown's 'revenge mission'. He had been left battered and bruised from the ZDS game and had evidently decided that someone was going to pay. That person was Eric Young and the moment came fairly late on at the Whitehorse end. I can still clearly recall it from my vantage point on the Holmesdale, as Young went up for a header near the corner of the penalty area Keown jumped alongside and thrust his elbow hard into Young's face. The referee had a clear view of it and it was a red card all day long. I suppose Keown must have felt that it was worth it. As far as I can recall Young was forced off due to the extent of his injuries. I wonder how big a deal the papers made of that assault at the time.
Old 18-04-2021, 05:51 PM

PALACE 0
EVERTON 0

Att: 16,439

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Bodin. Pardew. Young Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Thompson. Wright. McGoldrick. Subs: Osborn (for Pardew). Collymore (for McGoldrick)

Such was the anger over the Eric Young assault, unusually, the club put out a statement in the following home programme and didn’t pull any punches. I doubt you would ever see something like that today.

- John Peel
Old 18-04-2021, 08:09 PM

Even 30 years down the line, it still rankles. The game was bad tempered as you might’ve guessed after the ZDS, but the atmosphere was flat. An end of season that should’ve seen a fantastic reward and celebration for the club’s most successful league campaign, ended in bitterness and that horrible feeling that we’d been cheated.

The FA that was supposed to represent the best interests of all their clubs, basically ignored Palace and made sure Liverpool’s further two year ban ended. Even then they could’ve made the decision out of fairness for Liverpool to begin in Europe the season after next, but didn’t. They also could’ve lobbied UEFA for an extra qualification place, which would’ve been fair as a country that no longer existed, East Germany, got four places. There was talk of a play off between us and one of the lower ranked UEFA cup qualifiers, but never materialised as the FA weren’t interested so it was never an option.

Coppell, as you can see from the reports, was absolutely furious. The football world couldn’t care less. I’m sure most have seen it, but last year I made a short documentary about this whole event and here it is incase you missed it and would like to see it.

- John Peel
Old 18-04-2021, 09:25 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Spurs game - 17th April

In classic Palace two-bob style of that era, the club thought it would be a good idea to dig out the cardboard-shaped trophy (vaguely looking like the FA Cup) covered in tin foil that had done the rounds for our FA Cup run the year before. Someone got their felt tip pens out and did 'ZDS' in red and blue and glued it to the tin foil cup, gave it to the mascot in the parrot costume (apparently it was an eagle) who then paraded it round the ground pre-match.

It was cringe-inducing in the extreme and our fans applauded whilst praying he didn;t go to the away fan. The parrot, with no hint of shame, showed it to the Spurs fans, fresh from their qualification for the final of THE Cup, who promptly gave the parrot a well-deserved shower of abuse and w anker signs.

Ahhh Palace, always classy! Ha ha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 18-04-2021, 09:27 PM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Embarrassed to say that the Spurs game was the first time I ever went to Selhurst station. I always did Norwood or Thornton Heath but for some reason I decided to do Selhurst and managed to get lost between there and the ground! Oops!

Obviously it didn't do me any long term harm as a few years later I bought a flat right by that station.

Old 18-04-2021, 09:30 PM

Everton - April 20th

Very strange game in that the end of season video gave that an extended run of 'highlights' and the only thing of note apart from Keown's attempted murder was the fact that we had two sunny spell and two full on hail storms all in the one match. Looks even weirder on the highlights as it flits between the weather extremes all in the 2 or 3 minute segment and you wonder what the hell's going on

Old 18-04-2021, 09:34 PM

That assault by Keown was actually sickening. and by that, I mean, the cracking sound that Ninja made as he landed made the ground utterly silent for a second or two. I honestly thought he was dead. Strangest thing I've ever seen in a match - genuinely scared me for a few seconds.

At the very least I assumed Eric must have broken his leg or even his back. So relieved when he hobbled off with the physio.

Keown obviously got abuse but even with 10 men, we couldn't find a way past them.

It did mean we had the rather impressive stat versus four of the Big 5 with 4 clean sheets from 4 home games, with just Man Utd to come.

Also made it 3 clean sheets in a week at home. Quite rare to have three home games in a week and even rarer to not concede a single goal.

Old 19-04-2021, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
That assault by Keown was actually sickening. and by that, I mean, the cracking sound that Ninja made as he landed made the ground utterly silent for a second or two. I honestly thought he was dead. Strangest thing I've ever seen in a match - genuinely scared me for a few seconds.

At the very least I assumed Eric must have broken his leg or even his back. So relieved when he hobbled off with the physio.

Keown obviously got abuse but even with 10 men, we couldn't find a way past them.

It did mean we had the rather impressive stat versus four of the Big 5 with 4 clean sheets from 4 home games, with just Man Utd to come.

Also made it 3 clean sheets in a week at home. Quite rare to have three home games in a week and even rarer to not concede a single goal.

You know, I don’t think that fact has occurred to me since that very season. That is a truly amazing achievement in itself. In comparison, so far this season we have conceded 12 goals at home against the ‘big 6’, with Man C and Arsenal still to come.

- John Peel
Old 19-04-2021, 05:28 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
It needs to be pointed out that if the big 6 are booted out of domestic football that surely their records would have to be expunged.

I think this means we won the title in 1990-91
Old 19-04-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
It needs to be pointed out that if the big 6 are booted out of domestic football that surely their records would have to be expunged.

Good point, it probably also means that we won the Champions League in 1992. Arsenal put up a really poor showing that year as I recall and I'm sure we could have done better. Confident we could have turned over Barcelona in the final, thus depriving them of their first ever European Cup and starting the rot which these days sees them as a part-time club in the Spanish fifth tier.

The final was a dour game with defences on top but our direct style troubled Koeman and co throughout. The decisive moment came in the 76th minute, Andy Gray latching on to Bright's knockdown to fire home from 15 yards for a 1-0 win.
Old 19-04-2021, 06:42 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post