Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 04-04-2021, 07:45 AM

Swoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Easter 1969

It being Easter takes my mind back some fifty two years, to one of the best seasons in our history. We were in a good position in the league and had two tough matches for our Easter programme, but they were at home and I couldnít wait. Good Friday started sunny but with that chill you get with a spring morning. I was up and out to Wallington station early, couldnít afford to miss the train especially with it being a Sunday service and an 11.00 kick off. As I got off at Selhurst there seemed to be more people than usual and I worried that I might be late. Fortunately it was because the crowd was well over 40k that day, against a very good Middlesbrough side who were up there with us. The game itself was a bit of a stalemate with both sides happy with a draw rather than risk defeat. The good thing I thought on the train home was that I only had about twenty six hours to wait before I would be back watching us take on Pompey.
When I got into the ground on Saturday I remember seeing the ITV camera trucks, so knew we would be on the telly later! The game relatively easy for us,Cliff Jackson scored if I remember correctly but the highlight of the game was Steve Kemberís turn and volley from about fifteen yards into the back of the net at the Holmesdale end. The crowd of about 30k went home happywith a 3-1 win, and as I spend the journey home working out how many points we need etc.What I didnít realise that i would never see my beloved team play on consecutive days ever again.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:54 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
This was just before I started going to the Palace, but I still remember in the early 70s, teams playing on the Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday (or maybe Tuesday ?).
So many games, in those days, on terrible pitches and with much smaller squads, yet all you hear now, is teams, with huge squads, playing on Billiard tables, moaning because they have to (sometimes) play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:43 AM

Garfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoonara View Post
It being Easter takes my mind back some fifty two years, to one of the best seasons in our history. We were in a good position in the league and had two tough matches for our Easter programme, but they were at home and I couldnít wait. Good Friday started sunny but with that chill you get with a spring morning. I was up and out to Wallington station early, couldnít afford to miss the train especially with it being a Sunday service and an 11.00 kick off. As I got off at Selhurst there seemed to be more people than usual and I worried that I might be late. Fortunately it was because the crowd was well over 40k that day, against a very good Middlesbrough side who were up there with us. The game itself was a bit of a stalemate with both sides happy with a draw rather than risk defeat. The good thing I thought on the train home was that I only had about twenty six hours to wait before I would be back watching us take on Pompey.
When I got into the ground on Saturday I remember seeing the ITV camera trucks, so knew we would be on the telly later! The game relatively easy for us,Cliff Jackson scored if I remember correctly but the highlight of the game was Steve Kemberís turn and volley from about fifteen yards into the back of the net at the Holmesdale end. The crowd of about 30k went home happywith a 3-1 win, and as I spend the journey home working out how many points we need etc.What I didnít realise that i would never see my beloved team play on consecutive days ever again.
My first game at Palace. In the afternoon I then watched Spurs vs Coventry.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:07 AM

Lindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Remember the game well but thought the atmosphere with 40K in the ground was flat - maybe the early kick was a factor. In those days you just rocked up at any ground and watched the game. Went to most London grounds on that basis whether Palace were playing or not!
Old 05-04-2021, 05:09 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Remember both games. Thought there seemed to be a lot of nervous tension for the Boro game, or maybe that was just me. anyway as has been said a point favoured both teams . Well remember Kembers goal ,was standing under the AW roof that day, just the roof evrything else grass and crash bars were still there.

The Fulham game soon.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:08 AM
Born in South London

gcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My abiding memory of the Portsmouth game was the penalty scored by John Sewell. We missed several penalties that season with most of the forwards failing. Sewell took a big divot as his boot hit the ground and sent the keeper the wrong way. I was convinced that the keeper tried to save the divot and missed the ball.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:23 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwhite View Post
My abiding memory of the Portsmouth game was the penalty scored by John Sewell. We missed several penalties that season with most of the forwards failing. Sewell took a big divot as his boot hit the ground and sent the keeper the wrong way. I was convinced that the keeper tried to save the divot and missed the ball.
If I remember correctly did'nt it bounce about three times before it went in ?
Old 06-04-2021, 06:16 PM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The draw at home Middlesbrough was. In the end was a good result. Next day Charlton helped us out by beating them at the Valley 2-0 then they got two draws like we did and finished third.j
Old 06-04-2021, 06:22 PM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Middlesbrough were the team l feared at that time, they lost their last three games and finished fourth. But what a great season that was. !
Old 07-04-2021, 08:22 PM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
If I remember correctly did'nt it bounce about three times before it went in ?
Bit blurry but it looked a bit of a ground shot More treasured memories from my first season

To view the link you have to Register or Login
"Thatís the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."
Old 07-04-2021, 09:16 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
I remember being in the Arthur for the Middlesbrough game and it being fairly warm for early April. I'm sure the roof was on prior to then but being able to stand under a 'covered end' was the main reason I was there on that day. A tense game but we got the result we needed and the pressure was off to some extent against Portsmouth the following day and I was back on the Holmesdale.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 07-04-2021, 09:29 PM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
I remember being in the Arthur for the Middlesbrough game and it being fairly warm for early April. I'm sure the roof was on prior to then but being able to stand under a 'covered end' was the main reason I was there on that day.

None of your fancy dan foreign named opposition players then
"Thatís the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."

Last edited by Pikie Punisher; 07-04-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:06 AM

Bring back the candy stripe.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:50 PM

Carlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Bring back the candy stripe.
Yes loved that kit - not sure it would be the same in modern materials
Old 12-04-2021, 04:41 PM

Lama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwhite View Post
And it wasn't fluke. He adopted the same tactic when he took a penalty at Old Trafford later that year. It must have taken ages to perfect it.
Old 13-04-2021, 11:55 AM

I saw both games . Good job at Old Trafford that John followed up and scored as Stepney knocked the ball out.