Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Grey Haired

geoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
30 year agos today - Blundell Park -Tuesday 8th April 1975

Seeing the thread on 15 years ago, had me thinking back another 15 years to Tuesday APril 8th 1975, and the infamous 2-1 defeat to Grimsby at Blundell Park in a Div 3 match, where Palace took a one goal lead, then 2 palace players were sent off in separate incidents (one was Alan Whittle I think the other I can't rememebr, and Grimsby had Mike Czuzcman sent off - can never forget his name even if its unprnounceable!.

I can also remember it being quite hostile in the ground towards the Palace fans, and it also snowed during the game. IT was a hell of a long journey home. Palace had 4 away games that April then we then lost away to Chesterfield 2-1 on the Saturday, we then had the match at Tranmere on Monday 21st postponed although the supporters coach I was on got all the way to Prenton Park at about 5.30 to find small sign saying match off, and then lost 3-0 to Walsall at Fellows Park on the Friday APril 25th, a match infamous for a smoke cartridge being lobbed on to the pitch.
Then when Tranmere was rearranged for Wed 7th May we lost 2-0 to an already relegated Tranmere although Ken Sansom and DAvid Kemp made thier debuts, the crowd was tiny as well only about 2500 I think.

Last edited by geoffh; 08-04-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:06 AM
Green man

OldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Geoff, I remember both these games. We were certainly both on the same coach for the Tranmere game. The driver chose to go a scenic route (i.e. not motorway) and the police were turned other coaches back at Newport Pagnell.

The Grimsby game was horrendous. Went to get some fish and chips before the game and got a bash round the head and my scarf nicked. Loads of "atmosphere" inside the ground. Got back to SP early on Wednesday morning and the local constabulary searched me and my mate thinking us to be burglars. Mind you, to be fair to them, when they found out we were not, they gave both of us a lift home, saving a 2 mile walk.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:01 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Re: 30 year agos today - Blundell Park

Quote:
Originally posted by geoffh

Then when Tranmere was rearranged for Wed 7th May we lost 2-0 to an already relegated Tranmere although Ken Sansom and DAvid Kemp made thier debuts, the crowd was tiny as well only about 2500 I think. [/B]
I didn't make the Grimsby game but was at the others you mentioned.Remember Tranmere being very hostile.the crowd was only 2,000 but I'd say a thousand of those were the local herberts.We had a so called special train from Euston but due to lack of interest we were only given one or two carriages.At Lime Street we had a special bus laid on to take us through the Mersey tunnel to Birkenhead.We got to the ground quite early and were able to have a few cold ones in the local boozer.All I remember about the game was it was Sansoms debut and we played with no interest at all. Our supporters were very quiet and there was a constant air of menace.Outside afterwards, the pleasant northern gentry practiced their brick throwing at the Palace bus.
Back in Liverpool we had two hours to kill as our train wasn't going until half eleven. Small gangs were roaming around sniffing for cockneys and me and a mate soon got sussed. Didn't fancy the odds of about ten to two so we took off like the clappers.Usually fellows give up chasing after a few hundred yards but on this occasion I had to use all my cross country skills to keep ahead of the bastards.Finally a taxi drove along side me and the one friendly scouser out that night told me to jump in.He gave me a tour of the town, didn't charge me and dropped me right at the station in time for the train. Luckily my mate got away as well, but there was a few bruised Palace fans on the train.
To complete a lousy night and season, on arriving at Euston we had to make the long walk to Victoria Station to pick up the all nighter to East Croydon.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 PM

ammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for you
I love this thread.
Old 18-04-2005, 02:18 PM

DrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happy
Sure I was at that Grimsby game, but I thought it was 0-3 rather than 1-2 defeat? Perhaps I'm thinking of another match.
Palace used to get trouble that season at various away grounds so I'm told (was not old enough to get to every game then). Guess it was because we'd dropped straight through Div 2, still had the great Malcolm Allison and were generally considered 'big time Charlies' by the locals.
Old 18-04-2005, 06:50 PM

Detroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Quote:
Originally posted by ammiller
I love this thread.

why its old guys recalling defeats and wasted coach journeys........

yawn.
Old 18-04-2005, 06:53 PM

Detroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screenDetroit has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Quote:
Originally posted by DrRock
Sure I was at that Grimsby game, but I thought it was 0-3 rather than 1-2 defeat? Perhaps I'm thinking of another match.
Palace used to get trouble that season at various away grounds so I'm told (was not old enough to get to every game then). Guess it was because we'd dropped straight through Div 2, still had the great Malcolm Allison and were generally considered 'big time Charlies' by the locals.

We beat them at home 3 0 and they wore our kit( what a laugh cheering them out to dicover they were Grimsby Town and a pigeon got clobbered by the ball while in midair from our goalkeepers kick.
was on tele as well.

them there were the days.
Old 19-04-2005, 02:47 AM

ammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally posted by Detroit
We beat them at home 3 0 and they wore our kit( what a laugh cheering them out to dicover they were Grimsby Town and a pigeon got clobbered by the ball while in midair from our goalkeepers kick.
was on tele as well.

them there were the days.
That match was 2-1.
The Big Match were supposed to be covering another London teams game (QPR?) but it was postponed late on so when they came to Selhurst, it was decided that Grimsby's kit clashed - which is why they changed into our spare kit (not even sure it was our away kit - maybe our 3rd kit?).
Their goalkeeper that day was 19 year-old Nigel Batch. No idea why I remember that.
Old 19-04-2005, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ammiller
That match was 2-1.
The Big Match were supposed to be covering another London teams game (QPR?) but it was postponed late on so when they came to Selhurst, it was decided that Grimsby's kit clashed - which is why they changed into our spare kit (not even sure it was our away kit - maybe our 3rd kit?).
Their goalkeeper that day was 19 year-old Nigel Batch. No idea why I remember that.

oh was it 2 1 darn i always thought it was 3 0 lol I was there. Still I was at hundreds of games so i guess they merge in the memory.
Old 18-12-2007, 09:29 PM
55 years and counting...

Chobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It was definitely 2-1 to Grimsby. I was on a school trip in Lincoln and a few of us went over to Grimsby for the game. It certainly was a hostile atmosphere ~ the only time in 42 years of following the Palace that I almost got involved in a punch up.
Old 19-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Chobham Eagle
the only time in 42 years of following the Palace that I almost got involved in a punch up.
Christ, are you invisible or something?

Taken a slap on two occasions at Palace and I tend to act like a saint!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 19-12-2007, 05:45 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Have to say, I thought the double sending-off game at Grimsby (with the snow) was a 3-0 defeat as well, but concede that geoffh is normally correct on matters of this sort. Was this game the one where they opened the gates between the home end and the enclosure at half-time and it all kicked off?

I do remember getting back late and walking home to Old Coulsdon, getting home about 5.

I also remember the Walsall game (despite being horribly pi$$ed) but cannot remember the original postponed game at Tranmere. Was I on the same coach as you geoffh?

Which was the year where we played Grimsby away on the Tuesday and Tranmere away on the Friday - or am I dreaming all that?
Old 19-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Grey Haired

geoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Cad, deffo 2-1 at Grimsby, yes come to think of it it did all start in second half. I think there was only the one official coach for Tranmere when postponed so I think you probably were on the same coach, that was on the Monday, 21st APril, then we had Walsall away onthe Friday night which was lost 3-0, memorable for my missing the coach from selhurst by 10 minutes and my old man who had given me a lift from school chasing coach and catching it up just the north side of Vauxhall Brdige, wern't there some flares thrown at Walsall, which I think would have been last match of season, but for Tranmere rearrangemnt on wed May 7th. I think Grimsby away was followed on the saturday by defeat at Chesterfield 2-1 again I think. That season was memorable because I think Palace scored in every home game (only 1 home defeat 4-1 to Chesterfield and no 0-0s) somethinh that I don't think has happened very often. Anorak off now and back to the ovaltine. PS I think the 3-0 home win over Nigel Batch's Grimsby at Selhurst was 76/77, too many matches not enough brain cells.

Last edited by geoffh; 19-12-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 19-12-2007, 10:54 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Geoffh, you can't remember Grimsby on a Tuesday, Tranmere on a Friday around about the same time, or have I got my games/days mixed up.

Only ask because I remember getting off the coach at Selhurst after the first midweek game (thought its was Grimsby) and getting a cab with Gerry. The Asian cab driver asked where we had been. When we told him, he said "where's Grimsby?" When we told him it was just south of Hull and we went there for a football match - not to play but to watch - he was beside himself. When we said there was about 200 like us who went he nearly crashed the car. He really didn't believe us.

We then said: "We're going to Tranmere on Friday."

"Tranmere? Where's that"

When we said it was near Liverpool and another 200 or so were going to that game as well, he felt that reality had been suspended.

I don't know whether he thought we were mad or inveterate liars, but I do remember he refused to accept any payment for the fare.

Can't remember flares at Walsall - except those I was probably wearing
Do remember the pies you had to pierce the bottom of to drain off the hot fat before they were edible.

Last edited by cad; 19-12-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 20-12-2007, 03:31 AM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by cad
Do remember the pies you had to pierce the bottom of to drain off the hot fat before they were edible.
Dont get me started about Walsall.

Friday night, lost 3 v 1.

Wide open, from the crotch to the knee.

Its got a bit of Labrador shit in it too.
Old 20-12-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by biggus mickus

Oh, go on. You know you want to.
Old 20-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham and Penge
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by biggus mickus

Remember it well. Went up and stayed with my bruv (RIP) who was living in Sutton Coldfield. Got on the bus in Walsall with a bus conductor who was, to say the least, unhygienic. Passed an ad hoarding for some Walsall brew, which said something like 'I've been around the world, but nothing compares to Walsall'. Waiting outside the ground for my bruv's bruv-in-law to arrive on coach #1, lad walks into ground with football boots over his shoulder. I said to bruv 'I bet he's playing'. He was. He scored. We lost.

Why was it a Friday night game, BTW?
Old 20-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham and Penge
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
And BTW, how many of you have been to a wedding reception at Blundell Park?

Apart from norwood_girl and Hilltop Meggie, obviously
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Over the hill.

Hilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHilltop Meggie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: 30 year agos today - Blundell Park

Quote:
Originally posted by geoffh
Seeing the thread on 15 years ago, had me thinking back another 15 years to Tuesday APril 8th 1975, and the infamous 2-1 defeat to Grimsby at Blundell Park in a Div 3 match, where Palace took a one goal lead, then 2 palace players were sent off in separate incidents (one was Alan Whittle I think the other I can't rememebr, and Grimsby had Mike Czuzcman sent off - can never forget his name even if its unprnounceable!.

Pronounced 'Churchman' and what a twonk, I remember him returning to GTFC around '80/1 after a spell away, first with Scunny then in the States. My friend, who worked at the club saying "Lock up your daughters, Churchy is back" she married him. They have four great kids - despite the paternal genes! Divorced now. His Christian name is actually Mychaljo.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Grey Haired

Quote:
Originally posted by cad
Geoffh, you can't remember Grimsby on a Tuesday, Tranmere on a Friday around about the same time, or have I got my games/days mixed up.

Only ask because I remember getting off the coach at Selhurst after the first midweek game (thought its was Grimsby) and getting a cab with Gerry. The Asian cab driver asked where we had been. When we told him, he said "where's Grimsby?" When we told him it was just south of Hull and we went there for a football match - not to play but to watch - he was beside himself. When we said there was about 200 like us who went he nearly crashed the car. He really didn't believe us.

We then said: "We're going to Tranmere on Friday."

"Tranmere? Where's that"

When we said it was near Liverpool and another 200 or so were going to that game as well, he felt that reality had been suspended.

I don't know whether he thought we were mad or inveterate liars, but I do remember he refused to accept any payment for the fare.

Neil, yes, new year new brain! I think you are right, the Grimsby, Tranmere dream double was at start of 76/77 season, Tranmere had got relegated at end 74/75 so we did not play them in 75/76 season, did we win at Grimsby 1-0 by then lose at Tranmere 1-0