Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 16-01-2022, 11:35 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
I don't think that there's anything wrong with criticising a poor performance or poor elements of a performance, it's the lack of perspective that's the issue; it's always "shit","crap", "terrible" "can't remember a worse performance" etc etc.

What he's suffering from at the moment is that we've signed a number of new & exciting players in a number of positions, and by comparison a long standing "steady eddie" right back is quite dull and an easy target for those that need a scapegoat.
Agree with all of that but I genuinely can’t remember him ever playing worse. Could easily have cost us three goals on top of the equaliser which he made a mistake for.

He’s still a club legend though.
Old 16-01-2022, 11:41 AM

ddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineddfunk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just seen the goal again.

He was fantastic in the build up to that goal.

Similarly, his sharp reactions were vital in the build up to Mateta's goal vs Norwich.

The guy gives his all going after every single ball.

Over 38 games in a season he'll sometimes have off days, and sometimes come up against better players. He's no spring chicken. Give him a break.

Brighton were playing very close attention to Olise, panicking after reviewing recent performances, cutting out Ward's main outlets to play the ball too.
Old 16-01-2022, 11:53 AM

Sewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He deserves to be a legend for continually outperforming his abilities. To have played as many Premier League games as he has is utterly remarkable for a player I have never thought is of top-flight quality.
Old 16-01-2022, 12:33 PM
----------

dazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewell's lob View Post
He deserves to be a legend for continually outperforming his abilities. To have played as many Premier League games as he has is utterly remarkable for a player I have never thought is of top-flight quality.
Does that not tell you more about your judgement of him than it does about his ability or quality?
Old 16-01-2022, 02:07 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazaki View Post
Does that not tell you more about your judgement of him than it does about his ability or quality?
No, I think it is testament to Ward's remarkable mental strength. He plays at the very very top of his ability level in the vast majority of games.
Old 16-01-2022, 02:18 PM
----------

dazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedazaki : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
No, I think it is testament to Ward's remarkable mental strength. He plays at the very very top of his ability level in the vast majority of games.
He's played over 200 Premier League games yet people still say he's never been a top flight quality player. That's ridiculous. How do people really think that a championship level player can have that sort of career based solely on mental fortitude??
Old 16-01-2022, 02:37 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Well overdue a song.
Old 16-01-2022, 02:40 PM

Johnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is hereJohnsonpen Sam the man is here
If he hadn't played we would not have scored
Old 16-01-2022, 02:42 PM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Given what he’s given to this club and this current team, he has tonnes of credit in the bank.

He’s allowed an iffy game now and again.
Old 16-01-2022, 02:46 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewell's lob View Post
If you think he is continually outperforming his abilities, it's fairly clear you under-estimate his abilities.
Old 16-01-2022, 02:50 PM

East-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nothing but 100% respect and admiration for this man. He has served our club magnificently for years.
People slagging him off should be ashamed. Not saying you can’t have a view on his performances or ability, but always show respect.
Old 16-01-2022, 03:03 PM
21 years for 5137 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Given what he’s given to this club and this current team, he has tonnes of credit in the bank.

He’s allowed an iffy game now and again.
Absolutely and I for one regret my post that he was awful. It was an over the top reaction. Frustration had crept in post game.
I've always liked the bloke and still do.

Apologies Joel.
Old 16-01-2022, 04:11 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazaki View Post
He's played over 200 Premier League games yet people still say he's never been a top flight quality player. That's ridiculous. How do people really think that a championship level player can have that sort of career based solely on mental fortitude??
You can be supremely talented but never produce it on match days because of nerves or fear.

Professional football is littered with stories of supremely talented players going off the rails because of attitude, arrogance or lifestyle issues.

I don't think anyone is saying Ward is not a Premier League player, I think they are explaining why he is.

Even if in my case very clumsily.

Basically to be a PL player you need an aggregate of physical and mental qualities. Ward scores a high enough aggregate score to be a PL level player, but because his aggregate is made up with an outsized mental rating.
Old 16-01-2022, 06:38 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o View Post
Absolutely and I for one regret my post that he was awful. It was an over the top reaction. Frustration had crept in post game.

Apologies Joel.
It happens after a game
Fair play for fronting up later
Old 16-01-2022, 08:36 PM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
City away this season was a Wardy masterclass - probably the best ever performance from a Palace full back
Old 16-01-2022, 08:50 PM

mean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o View Post

Apologies Joel.
Really? Football like all sport is a performance business, you are judged week in week out. A drop in that level of performance deserves acknowledgement, you aren’t just judged on previous years efforts credit in the bank. I have great respect for Joel and his contribution to Palace for many many years, doesn’t mean he’s above criticism when standards drop, come on. And it’s not just one game.
Old 16-01-2022, 09:20 PM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
City away this season was a Wardy masterclass - probably the best ever performance from a Palace full back
This. He usually performs against the top teams. He should and will play next Sunday
Old 16-01-2022, 09:31 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wardy is a Palace Legend we probably wouldn't be in the Premier League without his goaline clearance!

Brilliant signing amazing how a few under par performances produce an overreaction from some to it.

I'm looking forward to going to his Testimonial at the end of the season!

Not many players played for Palace for so long at this level?!

Last edited by SussexRed&Blue; 16-01-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Old 16-01-2022, 09:45 PM

ironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineironeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean View Post
Really? Football like all sport is a performance business, you are judged week in week out. A drop in that level of performance deserves acknowledgement, you aren’t just judged on previous years efforts credit in the bank. I have great respect for Joel and his contribution to Palace for many many years, doesn’t mean he’s above criticism when standards drop, come on. And it’s not just one game.
There’s criticism and there’s criticism. No problem with suggestions he was out of position, slow to react etc, it’s when some (not you) call him “awful”, “pathetic”, “sh*t” after all he’s done for us is which I find unacceptable.