Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter
 
CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 19-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Hedgehog's Avatar
Hedgehog Hedgehog is offline
The Spiky One
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Valencia, California, USA
Age: 65
Posts: 65,462
Rep Power: 21474856
Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Moving Desttop Icons

I keep some Microsoft Office files on my desktop for quick daily access.

They are kept on the right side of my screen, while Apps etc. are kept on the left.

Just recently after opening, say a Word file, working on it and then closing it, it vanishes from the desktop. By doing a right click on the desk top and picking Refresh the Word file reappears but over on the left. I have to drag it back to its location on the right.

And yes, I do have Auto Align Icons turned off, and Align to grid turned on.

No big deal, just annoying. Google has been no help, and Microsoft seem fixated on the Auto Align Icon setting, which is NOT the cause.

Any ideas?

Sorry about the thread title misspelling. (Desktop)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19-04-2021, 06:48 PM
LN1's Avatar
LN1 LN1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: East Mudlands
Posts: 1,750
Rep Power: 21474844
LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Does it still do if you right click on the Icon and click 'Open' ?

This page may explain some reasons for the moving:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

And this is the Icon manager mentioned if all else fails:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Hedgehog's Avatar
Hedgehog Hedgehog is offline
The Spiky One
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Valencia, California, USA
Age: 65
Posts: 65,462
Rep Power: 21474856
Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN1 View Post
Does it still do if you right click on the Icon and click 'Open' ?

This page may explain some reasons for the moving:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

And this is the Icon manager mentioned if all else fails:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Thanks LN1, I'll take a look.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-04-2021, 04:36 PM
James's Avatar
James James is offline
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: orbiting the Sun at 18.5 miles/sec with no helmet.
Posts: 39,753
Rep Power: 21474859
James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
This is not of any direct help, but I use a little programme called 'To view the link you have to Register or Login' available To view the link you have to Register or Login.

I have quite a busy, but well organised, desktop - so it is a pain when on occasions my PC forgets where all the icons are supposed to be and lines them up on the left in a bunch. It doesn't happen often (in fact, I can't remember the last time it did) - but it's nice to know that if and when it does happen again, I can restore my desktop at the click of a mouse.

This little application allows you to save more than one desktop, for example if you need a particular layout for doing a particular job.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-04-2021, 04:47 PM
A Wooden Fish On Wheels's Avatar
A Wooden Fish On Wheels A Wooden Fish On Wheels is offline
Fay Wray
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: See are too
Posts: 41,708
Rep Power: 21474858
A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
...it is a pain when on occasions my PC forgets where all the icons are supposed to be and lines them up on the left in a bunch. It doesn't happen often (in fact, I can't remember the last time it did) - but it's nice to know that if and when it does happen again, I can restore my desktop at the click of a mouse.

This little application allows you to save more than one desktop, for example if you need a particular layout for doing a particular job.
I have my work laptop displaying in various configurations: plugged into dual monitors, a single monitor, a single monitor and the laptop screen, or sometimes just the laptop screen on its own. The carefully laid out and neatly arranged icons go all over the place each time, as the screen sizes and resolution and number of screens, primary, secondary, tertiary screens change etc.

I will have a look at the utility that you use. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-04-2021, 05:00 PM
Hedgehog's Avatar
Hedgehog Hedgehog is offline
The Spiky One
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Valencia, California, USA
Age: 65
Posts: 65,462
Rep Power: 21474856
Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
This is not of any direct help, but I use a little programme called 'To view the link you have to Register or Login' available To view the link you have to Register or Login.

I have quite a busy, but well organised, desktop - so it is a pain when on occasions my PC forgets where all the icons are supposed to be and lines them up on the left in a bunch. It doesn't happen often (in fact, I can't remember the last time it did) - but it's nice to know that if and when it does happen again, I can restore my desktop at the click of a mouse.

This little application allows you to save more than one desktop, for example if you need a particular layout for doing a particular job.
Thanks James. I'll take a look.

LN1's link also talks of an App that sounds like it does a similar job.

I'm beginning to think it maybe related to opening a Marjong game I have on my desktop that changes the screen resolution when you open it, and then returns to the normal resolution when you close it. LN1's link also talks about this being a cause.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-04-2021, 10:26 PM
A Wooden Fish On Wheels's Avatar
A Wooden Fish On Wheels A Wooden Fish On Wheels is offline
Fay Wray
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: See are too
Posts: 41,708
Rep Power: 21474858
A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I'm beginning to think it maybe related to opening a Marjong game I have on my desktop that changes the screen resolution when you open it, and then returns to the normal resolution when you close it. LN1's link also talks about this being a cause.
Perhaps the Mahjong app is moving tiles about on your desktop as well as in the game?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-04-2021, 10:51 PM
Hedgehog's Avatar
Hedgehog Hedgehog is offline
The Spiky One
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Valencia, California, USA
Age: 65
Posts: 65,462
Rep Power: 21474856
Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
Perhaps the Mahjong app is moving tiles about on your desktop as well as in the game?

Boom boom...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22-04-2021, 11:38 PM
Blind_Eagle's Avatar
Blind_Eagle Blind_Eagle is online now
Dis-Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: The Royalty Fishery
Age: 61
Posts: 37,924
Rep Power: 21474859
Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
Perhaps the Mahjong app is moving tiles about on your desktop as well as in the game?
__________________
Well swivel on this one, because Crystal Palace sell 34 different designs of hat and cap. Thirty-f*cking-four?!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-04-2021, 12:54 AM
Hedgehog's Avatar
Hedgehog Hedgehog is offline
The Spiky One
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Valencia, California, USA
Age: 65
Posts: 65,462
Rep Power: 21474856
Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Don't sit there smiling... you're a Mod aren't you?

Can you fix my error in the Thread title?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26-04-2021, 02:11 PM
A Wooden Fish On Wheels's Avatar
A Wooden Fish On Wheels A Wooden Fish On Wheels is offline
Fay Wray
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: See are too
Posts: 41,708
Rep Power: 21474858
A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Don't sit there smiling... you're a Mod aren't you?

Can you fix my error in the Thread title?
I think you'll find that B_E 'retired' from moderation duties some time ago.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26-04-2021, 03:29 PM
Hedgehog's Avatar
Hedgehog Hedgehog is offline
The Spiky One
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Valencia, California, USA
Age: 65
Posts: 65,462
Rep Power: 21474856
Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
I think you'll find that B_E 'retired' from moderation duties some time ago.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Damn... and no James either (who posted on this thread).

As for an update on my problem. It is intermittent, but did just happen again this morning. Seems to me file specific...

I've just learned to live with it now.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.