Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 27-11-2021, 03:47 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN1 View Post
Yes running Win 11 pro upgrade on a Dell Optiplex i5 that had no compatibility at all except for TPM 1.2 that I had to enable in the BIOS (but not sure even if that was required). So far it just looks like a nice redecorating job and although quite visually pleasing I haven't noticed any difference in speed. Start up is a little quicker but that could be expected with a new set of boot files. I haven't really dug into any new features yet but the layout seem improved.

I tried the reg edit hack but didn't work for me and got the upgrade done by deleting the appropriate compatibility checker .dll file from the downloaded image file. It works well but the Windows still knows that the PC is not wholly compatible and things like Windows Insider are not available as the PC is flagged up as not suitable for beta testing of advance features and programs.

So far I wouldn't rush to get Win 11 but it is free and I have deleted the old Win 10 backup files on my PC so I must be fairly happy with it?

Thanks for the feedback, my middle-of-the-road Lenovo is prompting me to update, I keep pressing ignore. So your feedback is valuable to me. I reckon I'll wait until the next set of updates before I jump on board.

Funny innit, used to want to be one of the first to get a new upgrade. Took a while to learn the lessons from those hasty decisions. Now I think most like to wait and see.
Old 27-11-2021, 03:52 AM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
When open and visible on task bar, right click, pin to taskbar.

To have them on the start menu, right click a desktop shortcut and select in to start.
Sorry, I was talking about a little menu to the left of the system tray that you could pull up all your desktop icons. I've got my most used programs already pinned to the taskbar.
Old 27-11-2021, 04:00 AM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
Thanks for the feedback, my middle-of-the-road Lenovo is prompting me to update, I keep pressing ignore. So your feedback is valuable to me. I reckon I'll wait until the next set of updates before I jump on board.

Funny innit, used to want to be one of the first to get a new upgrade. Took a while to learn the lessons from those hasty decisions. Now I think most like to wait and see.
I don't think you're missing out on anything especially as Win 10 has support for another 4 years or so. There isn't anything about Win11 that is bowling me over but it does appear fresher and works okay so I'm keeping it. It seems Win 11 isn't setting the world alight in its uptake figures so hopefully they will relax the entrance exam for for older PCs to be eligible? My PC is in no way compatible but upgraded easily once I found the right workaround method and Win 11 knows it is not compatible but happily runs on it with almost no loss of features. So Microsoft just give up on the compatibility requirements and let everyone in!
Old 27-11-2021, 04:05 AM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Butter View Post
Sorry, I was talking about a little menu to the left of the system tray that you could pull up all your desktop icons. I've got my most used programs already pinned to the taskbar.
When you click on the Microsoft four squares on the taskbar and bring up the start items and previous files list box Pinning them to that group of icons?
Right clicking an icon then 'Pin to Start' puts it in the start group shown but the grouping scrolls so it will appear at the bottom of the list and you have to scroll down to see it or 'drag on drop' to re-arrange the icon in the start group.

Last edited by LN1; 27-11-2021 at 04:17 AM.
Old 27-11-2021, 08:55 AM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
That menu is a real drag. It's got stuff in the Recommended section that is pretty useless to me, I mean I've never opened the xBox Game Bar. The Start Menu was actually useful in Windows XP, worked in Windows 7 and just got worse from there. I used the show desktop icons menu to have a bunch of temporary files that I would be working on in an easy to locate place, and easy to change. (I don't have any icons actually showing on my desktop.)
Old 01-12-2021, 07:56 PM

palacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Has anyone used this way to upgrade non compatible pcs

Old 01-12-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palacelad197o View Post
Has anyone used this way to upgrade non compatible pcs

I didn't use quite that method but it's about removing or altering the compatability checking file which normally can't be just deleted. He edited some properties and the way I did it was to make a copy without the offending ,appraisers.dll file.in it.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:27 PM

palacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I found this and it seems a lot clearer
Still undecided on what to do