Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 25-11-2021, 10:28 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
Actually, that reminds me, never ever call a freecall UK number from your all-inclusive (Australian) plan.... Vodafone charged me 62 bucks for the last lot 5 weeks back. The usual number 001144-1912187777 is included in standard plans.

That really peed me off actually. Going to change provider over that, as those freecall UK 800 number anomalies are hidden in the fine print and the baaarrrssttaarddds wouldn't give me a credit when I phoned to complain.
You got my interest there. I just took a look at my last 2 phone bills and I see no evidence that I got charged for my call to the UK to talk to the DWP.

Odd.
Old 26-11-2021, 12:15 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
I am now 3 months in to having stopped work. There have been a few clearing up issues and I still have one sale and some tax/reporting issues to sort but to all intents and purposes I am free.

So far I don't miss work whatsoever. Walking across Spain was a brilliant way to put down a marker for future physical fitness and mental calmness.

Living in a flat is highly manageable and much simpler than being in a Victorian lump. Being in a quiet leafy street next door to Greenwich Park and Blackheath makes for outdoor pleasure and wide vistas.

Sadly recovering from surgery is shit, but if it is a glimpse of being frail and in constant pain in future very old age, then it is a great incentive to get out and experience life in all its shapes and forms now while your body still allows.

I am definitely calmer, my moods swing less and my patience with others far greater.

I guess the main change has been that of changing from a mentality of acquisition and growth of income to one of downsizing and expenditure reduction.

I said two years off work and then review it and I still can't see myself going back to work before then. Can't wait to hit the road again.
Old 26-11-2021, 12:20 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
I am now 3 months in to having stopped work. There have been a few clearing up issues and I still have one sale and some tax/reporting issues to sort but to all intents and purposes I am free.

So far I don't miss work whatsoever. Walking across Spain was a brilliant way to put down a marker for future physical fitness and mental calmness.

Living in a flat is highly manageable and much simpler than being in a Victorian lump. Being in a quiet leafy street next door to Greenwich Park and Blackheath makes for outdoor pleasure and wide vistas.

Sadly recovering from surgery is shit, but if it is a glimpse of being frail and in constant pain in future very old age, then it is a great incentive to get out and experience life in all its shapes and forms now while your body still allows.

I am definitely calmer, my moods swing less and my patience with others far greater.

I guess the main change has been that of changing from a mentality of acquisition and growth of income to one of downsizing and expenditure reduction.

I said two years off work and then review it and I still can't see myself going back to work before then. Can't wait to hit the road again.
That is great news John. Keep it up.

My own experience is it took me 18 month to two years to finally let work go. Now 3 going on 4 years in I find it inconceivable that I would want to go to work anywhere, even on a volunteer or part-time basis. The idea of having to be somewhere at a specific time on their terms and not mine sends shivers down my spine.
Old 26-11-2021, 12:28 AM
Natus Londini ad austrum

Aquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAquila_17 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm semi-retired now so I'm only working to make sure I have some money in the bank after the financial shock of getting divorced 5 years ago, so I've just formulated my (latest) 3 year plan... and currently have 1011 days until I retire

By that time, I'll have clocked up just over half a century of working life!
Old 26-11-2021, 12:28 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:

Great stuff John. And it looks like I was wrong about the delights of Charlton borders.

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 26-11-2021, 01:57 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Great to read, good times ahead eh?

Totally concur re the statement that the main adjustment was the mentality change reacquisition to one of downsizing and reducing expenses. Takes a bit of getting used to that one. I'm still not fully adjusted yet. Hate spending savings.

Might start selling plants out the front of my gaffe yet, has a lot of passing foot traffic and apartments around here, Millenials love their indoor plants. I keep coming up with ideas like that.
Old 26-11-2021, 02:16 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Yep. It least it adds to the pot for fun spending.

Savings all a bit fecked since banks got to do what they bloody well liked post 2008.

There used to be a time when you got put a sum away in a savings account and just forget about it for a few years / even add to it. The interest they offer now seems negligable. All ways to save and earn a little that is worthwhile now seem to contain some element of risk.

Even when there is a sharp uptick of central bank interest rates, this only seems to be passed on to customers as a cost.

It's scummy how banks have been allowed to get away with that little nugget.

I looked at depositing 25 grand in a 3 month fixed deposit. It calculated that I would earn about 150 quid. That's about 2.4% per annum. That is with central rates at 4%.

I guess that is universal.

I remember a time in the 80s and early 90s when he Tory mantra was save, save, save.
It was seen as the righteous thing to do and a central core principal. That seems to have been abandoned in the last 25 years. It's all about property gains, speculation, and getting your funds in offshore accounts.

One could conclude that they couldn't actually give less of a feck.

Thus, what I am saying is - we all approach our retirement years way of the small pots of money we have accumulated, fearful of spending it, and looking for inventive ways to earn a little extra.

Maybe we will be competing with youngsters packing bags in supermarkets. Although self-pay auto machines has probably put paid to that.

We could do what my dad did, and spend 5 years placing millions of little screws into plastic holders, and getting paid by the box. Until the arthritis sets in at least. Maybe we can make sneakers for the Chinese and Indians in our dotage.

Old 26-11-2021, 02:44 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Bank returns and gilts are indeed negligble, other investments are potentially more profitable but obviously carry more risk.

Market dips never really bothered me when I was working but might now.
Old 26-11-2021, 04:17 AM

In all serious, I wonder whether the adage of just putting it into Premium Bonds is now the most sensible advice. For smaller level investors.

30 years back, working in the investment dept of Guradian Royal, my big boss nearly had a stroke when he learnt that some twonk (not in the investment dept) had advised a potential client with a fair sum to put it into Premium Bonds.

I woud suggest the twonk is not so twonkish these days. And if the big boss were still alive, I'd like to hear what his dissuading/persuading argument would be to a very risk averse investor with a smallish lump sum.

Old 26-11-2021, 04:31 AM

I don't flutter on these things. Been burnt a couple of times. I took a tiny risk on some emergency market ISA two decades back. Not only was the fund among the worst performing in its sector, but also the fund manager responsible was the only one in that small firm that loss clients money in that period. i.e. I picked the the fund where the manager was dismissed for poor performance.

I don't believe I have ever moved money between currencies and came out on top either.

How do you invest right now and avoid potential slumps? You have markets heavily skewed to tech companies that have done well during the pandemic and the future of green energy. Rumours come out of China about the stability of certain very big companies - one in particular threatens/threatened to bring the collective world economy down with it. Here in Chile, the markets/copper price and peso vs the dollar are up and down like a sex workers panties- Those close to pension age saw their pension pots in 'the safe' govt stocks drop 15-20% overnight as the central bank raised interest rates to curb inflation.

What do you go for - Bitcoins, a punt in a property fund in markets where properties have seen overpriced for decades and banks are starting to restrict credit options.

I think I woud be more interested in taking a small punt on a personally managed portfolio - and treating it as a hobby.

Old 26-11-2021, 05:57 AM

Peter you should start an investment thread.
Old 26-11-2021, 06:25 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I don't flutter on these things. Been burnt a couple of times. I took a tiny risk on some emergency market ISA two decades back. Not only was the fund among the worst performing in its sector, but also the fund manager responsible was the only one in that small firm that loss clients money in that period. i.e. I picked the the fund where the manager was dismissed for poor performance.

I don't believe I have ever moved money between currencies and came out on top either.

How do you invest right now and avoid potential slumps? You have markets heavily skewed to tech companies that have done well during the pandemic and the future of green energy. Rumours come out of China about the stability of certain very big companies - one in particular threatens/threatened to bring the collective world economy down with it. Here in Chile, the markets/copper price and peso vs the dollar are up and down like a sex workers panties- Those close to pension age saw their pension pots in 'the safe' govt stocks drop 15-20% overnight as the central bank raised interest rates to curb inflation.

What do you go for - Bitcoins, a punt in a property fund in markets where properties have seen overpriced for decades and banks are starting to restrict credit options.

I think I woud be more interested in taking a small punt on a personally managed portfolio - and treating it as a hobby.
Here and I guessing other places, they reckon what you do once you hit retirement is have 3 years worth of Cash as immediately available funds. So basically 3 years in as high an immediately available account as possible and the rest in Balanced returns... Which in our case is Superannuation medium risk.

Once my wife reached government pension age in 33 months, we won't have to touch our savings at all, for everyday living that is....with the UK government pension and top up etc.

Looking back on lessons learnt from the past, I'm going to hang on to the family home for as long as possible before I do downsize now. I think that will bring us the biggest return.

By lessons learned, if my still alive father hadn't moved from the family home in Forest Hill back in the mid 70's to Milton Keynes...that Forest Hill house would be worth at least 800,000 GBP now. Didn't have to move, it was pure white flight. He's hardly got anything left now as he has downsized a few times and now in a 1 bedroom place back in Milton Keynes, after stints in Prestatyn and Rhyl.
Old 26-11-2021, 07:02 AM
The Spiky One

From what I can tell, the only way to invest money these days to make money is to lock it up for 4 or 5 years and throw away the key... forget about it.

If you can do this, you can still come out ahead, otherwise you are pretty much paying institutions to hold your money for you rather than earning a pittance in interest.

Or invest 100% in stocks and ride the roller coaster. Not for the feint of heart or short term investor.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
One of the old boys who’s a regular in my local took great delight in telling us his state pension was increasing because he was about to turn 80. He then showed us the letter..

To view the link you have to Register or Login

25p a week.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:02 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Luxury.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
One of the old boys who’s a regular in my local took great delight in telling us his state pension was increasing because he was about to turn 80. He then showed us the letter..

25p a week.
I hope he bought you all a drink
Old 02-12-2021, 11:44 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Should help with the heating bills
Old 02-12-2021, 11:52 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post

25p a week.
Workshy scrounger should be grateful.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:31 PM

Herr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
10 months in and living the dream but do miss the buzz of Friday afternoon, gradually winding down then switch off around half 3, quick shower and off to the pub
Old 02-12-2021, 02:50 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidster View Post
Workshy scrounger should be grateful.

He still works as he couldn’t afford to even go to the pub on his state pension.