Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 26-02-2021, 11:09 PM
77/78 Admiral Away Torso

Del Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is hereDel Fenner Sam the man is here
Whitehorse Terrace days

Anyone here who was a Whitehorse regular before Bloye sold us down the river?

I enjoyed it for the frisson of being mixed in with the away fans. My first match was 1978 v Brighton (3-1) and I found the Seaweed tears to be delicious.
Old 26-02-2021, 11:56 PM

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
I went there for my first few games and then the whole of 72/73 season in the old Division Two. After that I moved to the Arthur.
Old 27-02-2021, 12:00 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
That was the terrace I used to stand on when I first started going in 1980 (thanks to my neighbour - thank you Dave!), but only for a couple of years before moving to the AW enclosure. Used to stand right at the front. After the AW enclosure I had a ST in the new (lower half) AW seats - row 18 - before moving to the Lower Holmesdale when that was built.

The Old (New) Stand is the only one I've never frequented. In fact I think the only Palace game I watched from there was the FA Youth Cup Final 1st leg against ManUre in 92.
Old 27-02-2021, 01:11 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Fenner View Post
Anyone here who was a Whitehorse regular before Bloye sold us down the river?

I enjoyed it for the frisson of being mixed in with the away fans. My first match was 1978 v Brighton (3-1) and I found the Seaweed tears to be delicious.
I got taken to Palace at quite a young age, Old Stand, New Stand, New Stand Enclosure to start with between 1970 to 1973, just a few games, usually featuring West Ham or Stoke - but by about the spring of 1974, I got the Palace supporting bug, even though we slipping quickly through Division Two on the way to three memorable seasons in Division Three (74-77).

Many of my earliest Palace memories are from sitting with my feet through the barriers sitting on the Whitehorse wall, which only kids of certain age or size could do, as otherwise you would get stuck!

Concrete is never great to sit on in winter and could freeze various parts of the body, which sometimes you wouldn’t realise as the football was usually quite absorbing, the humour of nearly all the fans is partly what attracted me, I don’t think anyone was taking the results seriously, Palace were losing more often than not in the 73/74 season, but it never got nasty, I’m not sure how fans of today would react, but then Big Mal was also a huge part of following Palace back then, most fans loved him, some older ones not so much, but then they could take the mickey without being nasty back then and that summed up Palace back in the 70s for me.

Of course, the Whitehorse was also the ‘away end’ so plenty of times you would be right in the middle of the visiting fans, shoulder to shoulder, toe to toe, so to speak. It never seemed to really kick off, just individual scuffles sometimes, but this was a good few years before segregation and fences.

By the start of the 76/77 season, I had migrated to the Old Stand enclosure, right behind the Palace dug out, by the tunnel, which in those days was still on the half way line.

Somehow I managed to miss standing right in the middle of Millwall, Charlton or Brighton fans, I seem to remember one game in Division Three, against Halifax, who probably only had a coach load of fans, especially for a midweek game, but the gate was well over 25,000, apparently thousands of Millwall fans had turned up to cheer Halifax on from the Whitehorse as they needed a result to help their promotion bid. Luckily that was one night I chose to stand on the Holmesdsle, which I didn’t often do back then. I think it was the game where Peter Taylor blasted a penalty about 10 ft over the bar, just before our FA Cup semi-final, which kind of blew our promotion up and by the Saturday the Cup run was over too!

Great days though, I don’t really think you could recreate the atmosphere now if you tried, in some ways, fans are more vocal (although definitely not in the modern Whitehorse Stand!) - but I don’t think the humour is quite the same, people don’t always seem to see the funny side of just how poor Palace can be sometimes!
Old 27-02-2021, 01:15 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I only recall ever standing up there one time.

Pre-season Kent Cup v Charlton for some reason.

Twas an odd feeling!

All I remember was Tony Burns getting injured in the warm up, and Nicky Chatterton having to play in goal... I think!
Old 27-02-2021, 01:25 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
The Whitehorse was the first place I stood on when I first went in 77/78 season when I was 5. Well, I didn’t stand....my dad sat me on one of the red and blue painted barriers so I could see. Was also there for the great night the following season against Burnley.

Wasn’t it shared with away fans sometimes? Maybe they were in the tier above? I’ve got memories of Forest at home, hearing a Nottingham accent behind me, being rather too vocal. Also recall it kicking off big time with Bristol Rovers fans as we left the ground from the edge of the pitch, and my mum and dad shielding me as there was a sudden stampede to get at Rovers. Never forget; saw a young man smash his head up against a concrete wall. I was only 6. Thought it was all very exciting. I guess these days I would’ve gone into year long therapy to try and deal with the trauma.

Loved the look of Selhurst then before Bloye sold us down the river. Looked more symmetrical and just adored the red and blue panels at the top of the facade of the Arthur. It was all so iconic. It was ironic that the terrace was pulled down for probably the worst season I can remember supporting the club - 80/81 relegation season. The bare stand with just a cheap bit of wood panel fencing with just a few hundred fans stood in front, reflected the depression that had hit the club suddenly after such heady and exciting times.

I never get the hate for Noades that still remains to this day, when surely the previous incumbent deserves the derision. In fact, the decision he made to sell that land to Sainsbury’s, is still holding our club back 40 years later.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 27-02-2021, 01:27 AM
Laths

laths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Got punched in the face by a fellow palace supporter after coming through the turnstiles with about 50 Preston supporters on a evening game back in the 3rd division days in the 70,s .
A load of palace ran down the slope towards the turnstiles and attacked the Preston, I was in the wrong place and said when I got hit “ I’m palace mate” errr sorry mate was his reply and continued on his merry way.
A great end and easy to get refreshments with the kiosks at the back of the upper level. Loved it when the Whitehorse surrounded the away supporters when the numbers weren’t too large .
Old 27-02-2021, 06:42 AM

M3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Whitehorse Whitehorse do your job......
Old 27-02-2021, 06:59 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
I remember a night game when we played Cardiff. Went with my dad (RIP) They were throwing coins. I genuinely didn't know they were trying to hurt people. I just thought these Welsh people must be fantastically wealthy to literally throw money away. I must have scooped up in excess of 27p. Great night.
Old 27-02-2021, 07:08 AM

Spiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was a regular throughout 60s and 70s. Was there for Burnley in 1979.
Old 27-02-2021, 07:10 AM

Mr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is here
Dad took me there in 69 for my first match. Carried a stool in the ground so I could see and was hooked from he first day. Always remember the Chelsea matches because of how many Chelsea were in the Whitehorse. Paying 12 1/2p to get in.
My everlasting memories of specific games are the Don Rogers goal, the 5-0 Man Utd, Yogi Bears’ goals and Hinshelwood (Doris) scoring against Liverpool under lights (cup game I think) we lost 3-2.
Old 27-02-2021, 07:25 AM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
I remember in our Division Three days in 1975-6 looking from the Holmesdale and seeing how many away fans clubs brought.

With honourable exceptions it was barely a few hundred normally with the likes of Chesterfield, Bury, Huddersfield. Peterborough always brought a load and looked quite feisty but outside of Charlton and Brighton, I think Plymouth brought the most fans and made a change to see a mass of green and white than the usual colours.
Old 27-02-2021, 07:48 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
I got taken to Palace at quite a young age, Old Stand, New Stand, New Stand Enclosure to start with between 1970 to 1973, just a few games, usually featuring West Ham or Stoke - but by about the spring of 1974, I got the Palace supporting bug, even though we slipping quickly through Division Two on the way to three memorable seasons in Division Three (74-77).

Many of my earliest Palace memories are from sitting with my feet through the barriers sitting on the Whitehorse wall, which only kids of certain age or size could do, as otherwise you would get stuck!

Concrete is never great to sit on in winter and could freeze various parts of the body, which sometimes you wouldn’t realise as the football was usually quite absorbing, the humour of nearly all the fans is partly what attracted me, I don’t think anyone was taking the results seriously, Palace were losing more often than not in the 73/74 season, but it never got nasty, I’m not sure how fans of today would react, but then Big Mal was also a huge part of following Palace back then, most fans loved him, some older ones not so much, but then they could take the mickey without being nasty back then and that summed up Palace back in the 70s for me.

Of course, the Whitehorse was also the ‘away end’ so plenty of times you would be right in the middle of the visiting fans, shoulder to shoulder, toe to toe, so to speak. It never seemed to really kick off, just individual scuffles sometimes, but this was a good few years before segregation and fences.

By the start of the 76/77 season, I had migrated to the Old Stand enclosure, right behind the Palace dug out, by the tunnel, which in those days was still on the half way line.

Somehow I managed to miss standing right in the middle of Millwall, Charlton or Brighton fans, I seem to remember one game in Division Three, against Halifax, who probably only had a coach load of fans, especially for a midweek game, but the gate was well over 25,000, apparently thousands of Millwall fans had turned up to cheer Halifax on from the Whitehorse as they needed a result to help their promotion bid. Luckily that was one night I chose to stand on the Holmesdsle, which I didn’t often do back then. I think it was the game where Peter Taylor blasted a penalty about 10 ft over the bar, just before our FA Cup semi-final, which kind of blew our promotion up and by the Saturday the Cup run was over too!

Great days though, I don’t really think you could recreate the atmosphere now if you tried, in some ways, fans are more vocal (although definitely not in the modern Whitehorse Stand!) - but I don’t think the humour is quite the same, people don’t always seem to see the funny side of just how poor Palace can be sometimes!
That Halifax game. Are you sure it wasn’t Chesterfield? The wallers came into the Holmesdale as well that night but saw the terrace was full and then moved to the side towards the Park Lane.
Old 27-02-2021, 08:01 AM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Some of my earliest palace memories were standing on the holmesdale and spotting the palace crew on the top tier of the Whitehorse. Then eagerly waiting for the away crew to come through to meet the welcoming committee. A few stick in my mind , forest came through and it went off straight away going too and fro with no backing down and no police.
Another time we were in the Whitehorse against Pompey standing at the bottom and there was a group of palace fans there , about 5/6 in total , when they were approached by a Pompey fan with long hair who offered them out .when they agreed he dissapeared then returned with about 100 others
Fair play to the palace boys they stood there and luckily the police spotted it and moved them on.

Edit , the holmesdale always chanted “ Whitehorse, do your job” when the away crew arrived.
Old 27-02-2021, 08:23 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Possibly 62/63 season although more likely 63/64 when I went more regularly. I always stood on the Holmesdale but if we were attacking the Whitehorse End in the second half I might have a wander round at half-time.

That was the first time I saw any trouble at Palace. There would be a few travelling fans and a bit of banter, but as time passed it became more a small group intent on walking round from the Holmesdale and goading the away fans.

I just recall the big patch of land behind the Whitehorse and ending up on the new terrace when Man United took over the Holmesdale in our first game in the old First Division.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 28-02-2021, 10:32 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
First ever game I was on The Whitehorse in 1966. Approaching from Thornton Heath end through two large corrugated iron gates (roughly where the club shop is now), up the slope towards the turnstiles, buy a programme the other side and then carry on to the top of the terracing.

It changed in the summer of 1969 when two tier terracing was built with toilet blocks along the top (one a 'Ladies Powder Room' if I recall correctly). Then of course (until 69/70) you could walk all the way round to the Holmesdale.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:03 AM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
I always went into the ground at the Whitehorse end and sometimes via the broken fence to save a few pennies. Used to walk around the ground and watch us if we attacked Holmesdale in the second half.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:12 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Think I only ever been on the Whitehouse twice. My first game versus wolves, 69/70 I think. First season in the 1st Division 2 all draw. Then a cup game v Chelsea, grant Watts played.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:20 AM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Think I only ever been on the Whitehouse twice.
Freudian slip?
Old 01-03-2021, 11:53 AM

burgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Whitehorse, Whitehorse do your job.