Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 26-02-2021, 07:39 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
You have got to be trolling or you must be one of those musicians that just like saying The Beatles were overrated as it then appears you know something others don’t.

Of course everyone is free and totally correct to say they much prefer listening to The Stones, Bowie or the bloody Smurfs than The Beatles. That’s totally valid. Music taste is subjective and all in the ear of the beholder. I’m not even talking about record sales, even though The Beatles top that chart too.

But if we are talking solely about music as an art from and trying to gage song writing ability, recording techniques and influence their music had on the world and generations of people, then there’s only one winner and it ain’t the Smurfs, Level 42 or whatever grabs your fancy.
I think you are trying to claim certainty or victory where there can be none. It’s like arguing that a strawberry is the most important fruit. You probably couldn’t get an answer on how you judge what the most important fruit is, let alone agree on which is best. And you would have to ask why bother?

Just be satisfied that the Beatles are likely in most of the western world’s top ten answers to that question (certainly if they are over 40) and always number 1 in your house Maybe not so much if they are 13 though. I do think that it’s amazing quite how big the impact was when they were only together for 10 years (1960-70). They certainly burnt brightly.
Old 26-02-2021, 07:52 AM

Location: Hiding behind Maidstoned who's hiding behind Biggus
garronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Cliff Richard’s still going, what’s your point?

You may find the Stones music more appealing to listen to - fair enough; but even after their 60 years they never got close to writing the catalogue of diverse, creative, innovative and ground breaking music The Beatles did in their 8 years. Go and tell any musician that the Stones wrote better songs and watch them fall about laughing.
Ohh shadupa ya face
Old 26-02-2021, 08:10 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by garronrav View Post
Probably because the first 3 made more material than The Kinks, they've done some great stuff but it would probably fit on one or two albums
The Who, Stones and Beatles all made better albums than the Kinks and could still put out a double album of singles.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 26-02-2021, 08:15 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Absolute nonsense

I love The Kinks and Bowie too, but no one came close to equalling the Beatles in sheer volume of quality songs written. It’s not even a debate. The Stones hung onto their coat tails.

On the White Album: yes, could’ve shaved it down by about ten tracks but in a way, the scattergun approach of different tastes, sounds and ideas kind of makes it unique and therefore a great album. You’ve got to remember that they’d been out to Rishikesh, meditating with the Maharishi. They had loads of time on their hands, coupled with the act of meditation that gave the old creative juices a spring clean, and they had a songwriting explosion. The album always seems to me like a slide show of what you did on your holidays.
I saw a video blog recently where the guy cut down the White Album to just two sides. Maybe Classic Album Review but I will post a link if I find it again.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 26-02-2021, 08:24 AM

garronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
I saw a video blog recently where the guy cut down the White Album to just two sides. Maybe Classic Album Review but I will post a link if I find it again.
The same happened when my Mum and Dad had a party,
Cleaning up the following day they discovered that someone had pinched one half of the album and they were left with just the other half and the album sleeve
Old 26-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I think the White Album is probably my favourite Beatles album, it's got the best songs. The blue hits album is pretty decent as well. None of their albums are perfect, they're not exactly an album band, imo. Maybe because they were too soon onto the whole album thing, dunno.
Old 26-02-2021, 10:01 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by garronrav View Post
Ohh shadupa ya face

Joe Dolce! Now you’re talking.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 26-02-2021, 11:42 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
Well quite so its NOT hype its just other people opinions you disagree with. Its funny you struggle with this as its not complex. However i will defend your right to not agree with my opinion on hype.
It’s not a disagreement, you’re just objectively wrong I posted the definition there for you. Of course there is, and has been “intensive publicity or promotion” of one of the most popular albums by the most popular band of all time. Quite why you’re trying to split hairs over this, I do not understand.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 26-02-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 26-02-2021, 12:01 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I think the White Album is probably my favourite Beatles album, it's got the best songs. The blue hits album is pretty decent as well. None of their albums are perfect, they're not exactly an album band, imo. Maybe because they were too soon onto the whole album thing, dunno.
You are much better at this sort of nonsense than Maidstoned is.
Old 26-02-2021, 01:08 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
It’s not a disagreement, you’re just objectively wrong I posted the definition there for you. Of course there is, and has been “intensive publicity or promotion” of one of the most popular albums by the most popular band of all time. Quite why you’re trying to split hairs over this, I do not understand.
in what way am i objectively wrong...? as for trying to split hairs suggest you comprehend the difference between hype and opinion. Something you have failed to do.

if you had said it was overrated i wouldn't have had to pick you up on it. LOL

SaulAlinsky
Old 26-02-2021, 01:54 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
I have to admit that my favourite versions of many Beatles songs are cover versions.
With a Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker
Across the Universe - Laibach
It's All Too Much - Steve Hillage
Old 26-02-2021, 02:49 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Jim Jones Revue - Get Back

SaulAlinsky
Old 26-02-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I have to admit that my favourite versions of many Beatles songs are cover versions.
Across the Universe - Laibach
It's All Too Much - Steve Hillage
Was U2 Helter Skelter a cover version?
Old 26-02-2021, 03:16 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
The Long and Winding Road *is* a Beatles song rather than by Wings, Hedgers.
Doh! Yes you are right of course.

To make matters worse, I think I was thinking of "Band on the Run"!

Senile dementia is coming on by the looks of it!

(Although I did mean TLAWR for my Desert Island Disc appearance)
Old 26-02-2021, 03:23 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
in what way am i objectively wrong...? as for trying to split hairs suggest you comprehend the difference between hype and opinion. Something you have failed to do.

if you had said it was overrated i wouldn't have had to pick you up on it. LOL
They’re not mutually exclusive. Public opinion is what creates hype.

Countless people enjoy the Beatles - Their work garners “publicity and promotion.” Ergo, one of their most popular albums, and many people’s favourite, the White Album, has hype around it. More hype than I believe is merited, therefore I “never got it.”

What a pointless ‘debate.’ Feel free to retort and disagree with the dictionary again, but I’ll have to bow out of this one.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 26-02-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 26-02-2021, 03:29 PM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Superb record, and much better than the Beatles own recording, I agree
Old 26-02-2021, 03:35 PM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
And don't we all just wish that Macca could fecking Let It Be.
Nice line ... but not really. I like him being active and around rather be hidden away.
Old 26-02-2021, 03:41 PM

One thing with The Beatles ... I grew up in the late sixties/early seventies. I don't remember The Beatles ever being 'cool' in the way that Marc Bolan/David Bowie or even the older Kinks/Stones or other British bands were. I tend to think of them as songwriters rather than performers or an act.

If you take a world view, the fact is songs like Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine, When I"m Sixty Four, Lucy In the Sky, Hey Jude, Let It Be can be heard sung all over the world by different people with different cultures. That's surely one of the proofs of a good song. I'm not sure any other songwriters can match them for that sort of global and inter-generational appeal.
Old 26-02-2021, 03:47 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Superb record, and much better than the Beatles own recording, I agree
The Music Forum is (generally) a far nicer place than other parts of the BBS but I think this is a ruddy terrible record with Joe Cocker channeling his inner Uncle Peter.
Old 26-02-2021, 04:14 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
You are much better at this sort of nonsense than Maidstoned is.
I should hope.so, he's in the business.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.