Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 27-02-2021, 02:20 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
The Beatles played their best stuff live before they really hit big and all the screaming started. They hated it as they couldn’t hear themselves play. Ringo couldn’t even hear the other three sometimes because of the primitive amps in those days. He had to just watch the other three’s body movements to keep in time. As such, their musicianship suffered and couldn’t wait to stop touring by the end and stick in the studio where they could really explore and express themselves.

Apparently, in Hamburg where they played for long periods honing their craft before fame hit, they were as close to a punk band as you could get on stage, in sound and attitude. By the time they got back to Liverpool, the locals were shocked at how good and tight a band they had become. Brian Epstein soon discovered them and cleaned them up as he attempted to make them less scruffy and more ‘professional looking’.

When I talk about The Beatles being the best, I’m not talking about them as a live band as such but more about the craft of songwriting and the brilliance of so many ground breaking and inspiring studio singles and albums. They pushed boundaries time and time again, and after the initial first few albums, obsessively searched for new sounds and ideas. Unlike most bands that hit a sound that works and cling obsessively to that their whole career (cough cough The Stones post Brian Jones).

From Rubber Soul onwards, a Beatle album would be a journey of different tastes, sounds and rhythm. You would never know what the next song would throw up. You’d have ‘Here there and everywhere’, which sounded like a 1940’s ballroom ballad, on the same album as ‘Tomorrow never knows’, a hypnotic, Indian/acid inspired track that wouldn’t sound out of place at a rave today. Do they still have raves today?

When it comes to musicians with their specific instruments, I think they would all agree, individually, they were no way the best by a long chalk. But as a unit, that’s where the magic happened. In saying that, Paul became quite a shit-hot bassist and was probably the most musical all rounder of the lot. George was the best guitarist. He really worked obsessively on his guitar craft. John was a decent rhythm guitarist but not amazing. Played with great energy though and in his writing would explore some unusual chording and chord progression that gave an evocative and eerie backdrop to many of his songs.

Ringo was just totally a unique drummer and played in a very unorthodox self taught fashion. He certainly wasn’t the best drummer around but do not underestimate how good he actually was. Brilliant at keeping time - like a human metronome, and many a decent drummer I’ve known in my time do rate him highly. His genius was in the studio when he had the ability and taste to play exactly what was required to best complement the great tunes John, Paul and laterally, George, were offering. There was no ego there like some drummers. He did as much or as little as the song required. That’s quite an art in itself.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 27-02-2021, 08:47 AM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Beatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
The Beatles played their best stuff live before they really hit big and all the screaming started. They hated it as they couldn’t hear themselves play. Ringo couldn’t even hear the other three sometimes because of the primitive amps in those days. He had to just watch the other three’s body movements to keep in time. As such, their musicianship suffered and couldn’t wait to stop touring by the end and stick in the studio where they could really explore and express themselves.

Apparently, in Hamburg where they played for long periods honing their craft before fame hit, they were as close to a punk band as you could get on stage, in sound and attitude. By the time they got back to Liverpool, the locals were shocked at how good and tight a band they had become. Brian Epstein soon discovered them and cleaned them up as he attempted to make them less scruffy and more ‘professional looking’.

When I talk about The Beatles being the best, I’m not talking about them as a live band as such but more about the craft of songwriting and the brilliance of so many ground breaking and inspiring studio singles and albums. They pushed boundaries time and time again, and after the initial first few albums, obsessively searched for new sounds and ideas. Unlike most bands that hit a sound that works and cling obsessively to that their whole career (cough cough The Stones post Brian Jones).

From Rubber Soul onwards, a Beatle album would be a journey of different tastes, sounds and rhythm. You would never know what the next song would throw up. You’d have ‘Here there and everywhere’, which sounded like a 1940’s ballroom ballad, on the same album as ‘Tomorrow never knows’, a hypnotic, Indian/acid inspired track that wouldn’t sound out of place at a rave today. Do they still have raves today?

When it comes to musicians with their specific instruments, I think they would all agree, individually, they were no way the best by a long chalk. But as a unit, that’s where the magic happened. In saying that, Paul became quite a shit-hot bassist and was probably the most musical all rounder of the lot. George was the best guitarist. He really worked obsessively on his guitar craft. John was a decent rhythm guitarist but not amazing. Played with great energy though and in his writing would explore some unusual chording and chord progression that gave an evocative and eerie backdrop to many of his songs.

Ringo was just totally a unique drummer and played in a very unorthodox self taught fashion. He certainly wasn’t the best drummer around but do not underestimate how good he actually was. Brilliant at keeping time - like a human metronome, and many a decent drummer I’ve known in my time do rate him highly. His genius was in the studio when he had the ability and taste to play exactly what was required to best complement the great tunes John, Paul and laterally, George, were offering. There was no ego there like some drummers. He did as much or as little as the song required. That’s quite an art in itself.
A superb post showing a great insight into what the BEATLES were all about. Shea stadium concert was the most obvious example where they couldn't hear themselves above the screaming of the fans. However, they moved away from the goldfish bowl of these mega concerts and into the studios so effortlessly.

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySwY7...eature=related
Old 27-02-2021, 08:55 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

If you watch that Eight Days a week documentary there's an amazing performance of "I Saw her Standing There" on that first American tour. Genuinely thrilling. Not if you're Maidstoned of course.
Old 27-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Beatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
If you watch that Eight Days a week documentary there's an amazing performance of "I Saw her Standing There" on that first American tour. Genuinely thrilling. Not if you're Maidstoned of course.
I Saw Her Standing There was another great song written by Paul McCartney!

I was bought that DVD "Eight Days A Week" a few years ago and I still haven't played it - but I will now. I am told that it gives a real taste of BEATLEMANIA and is as close as anyone can get to being at a BEATLES concert without actually being there. One of my biggest regrets was never being able to go to one of their concerts, as I really didn't have any money to spend on such things as a kid.

I did win tickets to an exclusive Paul McCartney performance in London and that was very special, with only a couple of hundred fans there. I also saw Wings several times and went to the Royal Albert Hall Concert For George with my wife, which of course had Paul and Ringo and other assembled pop greats on stage.

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySwY7...eature=related
Old 27-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I’ve heard a Napalm Death show is as close as you can get to the full on BEATLEMANIA experience nowadays.
Old 27-02-2021, 12:32 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I’ve heard a Napalm Death show is as close as you can get to the full on BEATLEMANIA experience nowadays.
Just googled that lot, I like a raucous guitar band but I do think the lead singer should try a Strepsil or a Fishermans Friend (if he's into that sort of thing).
Old 27-02-2021, 12:36 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Craig Brown’s book on the Beatles from last year was terrific even if you don’t like the band (cf his Princess Margaret tome).
Old 27-02-2021, 07:08 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
lets be honest Jimi owned Sgt Pepper within a wekof it being released

SaulAlinsky
Old 27-02-2021, 07:11 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
lets be honest Jimi owned Sgt Pepper within a wekof it being released
I think my dear old mum bought it on the day it was released so she is therefore better than him, despite never having played with the Isley Brothers.
Old 27-02-2021, 09:47 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
BEATLEMANIA...grown men loving a boy band of the 60s and excusing their homoerotic behaviour with pseudo musical insight.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 27-02-2021, 09:50 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
BEATLEMANIA...grown men loving a boy band of the 60s and excusing their homoerotic behaviour with pseudo musical insight.
Not really. I just like them.

You're the one saying that homoerotica needs excusing. I wonder why.
Old 28-02-2021, 07:12 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think you need to ask yourself why it bothers you so much that you feel the need to scream ‘overrated’ at every opportunity.

The fact a band 50 years after their final studio album, still remain relevant and out sell many of today’s acts, kind of leads you to surmise that they probably aren’t overrated.

Books are still written about them ad nauseam, historians debate their impact on our culture, music writers explore the genius of their music and there’s even a masters degree on the subject. But more importantly, each generation after the next seem to have just as many discovering and falling in love with their music, inspiring many a person to pursue music as a hobby and more.

And this is your definition of ‘overrated’.

No one’s forcing you to listen to them. Just accept that there is something a bit special about them that for whatever reason you don’t get, and carry on listening to Level 42, Cliff Richard, Orville the Duck and whatever else it is that floats your boat.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 28-02-2021, 07:37 AM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
Not really. I just like them.

You're the one saying that homoerotica needs excusing. I wonder why.
Maidstoned #notgayjustcurious
Old 28-02-2021, 08:39 AM
one love

AJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is hereAJ8 Sam the man is here
Recently discovered Jimmy Page played the lead on Joe Cocker’s With A Little Help From My Friends, got to be one the best covers of all time...
Old 28-02-2021, 08:48 AM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
Quote:
It's hard to imagine The Beatles as a 'boy band of the 60s'. Most 'boy bands' have songs written for them. The Beatles were one of the first groups to write their own songs.
Old 28-02-2021, 08:53 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ8 View Post
Recently discovered Jimmy Page played the lead on Joe Cocker’s With A Little Help From My Friends, got to be one the best covers of all time...
Twist and Shout wasn’t too bad a cover.

Jimmy Page appeared on a lot of tracks while working as a session musician.
Old 28-02-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ8 View Post
I don't like Joe Cocker's version. Too overwrought.

I do love Fats Domino's cover of Lady Madonna. It sounds like a Fats Domino song which I suppose is why it was written.
Old 28-02-2021, 09:19 AM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Twist and Shout wasn’t too bad a cover.

Jimmy Page appeared on a lot of tracks while working as a session musician.
Including the excellently named "Diggin' My Potatoes" by Heinz and the Wild Boys which also featured Chas Hodges and Ritchie Blackmore.
Old 28-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Including the excellently named "Diggin' My Potatoes" by Heinz and the Wild Boys which also featured Chas Hodges and Ritchie Blackmore.
More like Heinz and the Mildly Vexed Boys. Big Bill Bronzy or Lonnie Donegan for that one.
Old 28-02-2021, 06:08 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
More like Heinz and the Mildly Vexed Boys. Big Bill Bronzy or Lonnie Donegan for that one.
"Broonzy".