Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 AM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Throughput?

Hello, has anyone heard of 'throughput'' affecting broadband speeds? In short 30meg goes into the router but only 13meg comes out.
Plusnet have sent 3 engineers so far, which the last one said is now pointless as it needs to be corrected by the ISP.
Does anyone know what they have to do? A replacement router doesn't seem to be the solution as I got them to send a replacement to rule that out.

Last edited by Terrace Bickle; 01-06-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Depends if they are measuring throughput at your modem or a hop away inside your internal network i.e. a PC or mobile device.

That said, if they are saying your ISP needs to resolve it, it sounds like they are measuring throughput at your modem and then it's based on things like contention ratio (number of users on the exchange) or the quality of the hardware between your modern and the exchange. The copper could be shit/damaged, the cab could be shit/damaged etc etc.

In short 'throughput' is actual speed rather than theoretical speed, which is why it's always helpful to know which part of the network they are referring to. You mostly get internal throughput issues when you are using ISP-routers as they are so gash and generally not able to handle the number of concurrent connections. For example I've got 14x connections on my router and Virgin's Superb cannot manage that smallish number.

Last edited by Brett; 01-06-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:38 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Thanks for the reply. There were a number of issues that the first two engineers corrected. Incorrect connections on the fibre port, a new master socket and the initial line we were connected to was 40m longer than the BT plans. The third engineer checked everything and even installed a new physical line from the telegraph pole to our property. He checked the cable to the socket and there is no fault there either. When he plugged directly into the socket there was 30meg, introducing the router was like applying a handbrake and the speed won't go above 13meg. I know that the routers Plusnet supply are shit, but it seems it is caused by something else, possibly a software fault?

I've been asked to switch it off for a hour or so overnight, so perhaps they are hoping it resets itself or something similar.

I just wondered if anyone had experienced the same.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:52 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Sounds like the firmware on the router has gone to shit. Are you checking the speed directly from the router ie on a computer connected via an ethernet cable?

Not sure with ADSL lines whether you can go into modem mode and then re-check the speed? Hopefully the engineer already did that.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:14 PM
You looking at me?

Yes, speed is being checked via an ethernet cable. It's odd that 2 routers (although the ones Plusnet use are dogshit) have failed. They made some mention of a user profile I have, so maybe that updates the router once it's in use, and acts like a handbrake on the speed. It's certainly a strange one, I think I've already cost them more than they will get from my contract once compensation for the fault is paid.

The engineer confirmed it is when the modems are introduced that the fault occurs, speed to the master socket is fine.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:47 AM
You looking at me?

Just had a call from Plusnet and it seems they are throwing their hands in the air and giving up! Allowing me to exit my contract. I find it bizarre that a company of this size has seemingly so little knowledge of the equipment they provide.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle View Post
Just had a call from Plusnet and it seems they are throwing their hands in the air and giving up! Allowing me to exit my contract. I find it bizarre that a company of this size has seemingly so little knowledge of the equipment they provide.
I spent years dealing with many telecoms companies, this normal behaviour. There may be a tech team somewhere but they will be too busy to deal with customers but more often the tech side is contracted out leaving only cable pullers on site.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:05 AM
You looking at me?

Would going to another ISP solve the issue? I think that it's down to the cheap old BT hub routers provided (not the reliable ones). I just don't want to have to start this faults process over again. I could probably say to Plusnet that I only be charged 1/2 until they solve the issue.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:17 AM
You looking at me?

Now reimbursing me once I've bought a 2nd hand BT Smarthub, which is fair enough.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Binned by Muderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle View Post
Would going to another ISP solve the issue? I think that it's down to the cheap old BT hub routers provided (not the reliable ones). I just don't want to have to start this faults process over again. I could probably say to Plusnet that I only be charged 1/2 until they solve the issue.
ADSL is a bit of a minefield. Unless you can seriously upgrade your package preferably to fibre to the premise, you could be in the same boat.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:05 PM
You looking at me?

It is fibre though. Although we don't have fibre cables to the property. The engineers tested everything though and 30meg comes out of the master socket. Hopefully a superior router will work.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:06 PM
You looking at me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
ADSL is a bit of a minefield. Unless you can seriously upgrade your package preferably to fibre to the premise, you could be in the same boat.
Yep, my fears and your prediction came to fruition. I've swapped to another provider's service and the result is the same, a rock solid 13meg. Though I've taken Plusnet to the Ombudsman and won compensation as someone should know the answer to this fault.

What I don't understand is that the last Openreach engineer checked everything. The line to the telegraph pole then the line through the house, to the new master socket. He tested 19meg from the master socket (which I'd be happy with) , but the introduction of any router drops it to 13meg!

The engineer said that a router shouldn't affect it that much. I've tried 3 different albeit budget routers, all with the same results. Is it the standard of router provided by ISPs that's causing the issue? All these results are tests through an ethernet cable so it's not interference that's the issue.