Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 13-01-2021, 08:54 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Apple Watch

Can someone explain to me the difference between the cellular one and non.
Looking to buy my Mrs one, sheís not a massive tech junkie so will use it for running and other odds and sods.

Would welcome if itís worth the extra £100?
Old 13-01-2021, 09:14 PM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Nothing good ever comes from buying Apple
Old 13-01-2021, 09:16 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I don't know, but I assume it is like the iPad which has the same choices.

I've got the non cellular iPad, but it basically is not an issue as long as you can get WiFi...

I'm looking at the Apple watch for myself, so would be interested in the difference.
Old 13-01-2021, 09:16 PM

KingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not say
Cellular one would means it can use data and make phone calls without being attached to your phone. Requires a sim connection though which would be a monthly fee. It would use the same phone number as her iPhone, which means whoever she’s got her phone with would need to be on a carrier that supports Apple Watch esims
Old 13-01-2021, 09:22 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsleY View Post
Cellular one would means it can use data and make phone calls without being attached to your phone. Requires a sim connection though which would be a monthly fee. It would use the same phone number as her iPhone, which means whoever sheís got her phone with would need to be on a carrier that supports Apple Watch esims
Can you tether it to your iPhone so you can use data from your mobile contract?
I guess thatís the key. I doubt sheíll be going anywhere without her phone.
Old 14-01-2021, 06:53 AM
Erect Member

NO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
Can you tether it to your iPhone so you can use data from your mobile contract?
I guess thatís the key. I doubt sheíll be going anywhere without her phone.
Yes if non cellular version then as long as the iPhone is with you there is no difference between the two. The cellular version is only any good if you expect to use it without carrying your phone around. I.e going out for a run you can leave your phone at home but still receive emails and calls with the cellular version but you canít if you have the non cellular version.
Old 14-01-2021, 07:05 AM

Dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Can someone explain to me the difference between the cellular one and non.
Looking to buy my Mrs one, she’s not a massive tech junkie so will use it for running and other odds and sods.

Would welcome if it’s worth the extra £100?
Don’t pay the extra 100

Only benefit is not needing phone in your hand or pocket when you run

Last edited by Dedders; 14-01-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 14-01-2021, 07:26 AM

Location: Penge and now it's got slightly trendy I tell people I live in Penge.
Justy C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJusty C : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Agreed, donít go for the cellular one. The watch syncs with your iPhone, I can leave my phone downstairs but Iíll get calls / texts / notifications on my watch when Iím upstairs, it has a good range.

Only thing Iíd suggest is to check that her iPhone is compatible with the Apple Watch in case she has quite an old version of the iPhone.

Theyíre very good by the way, good shout for a present.
Old 14-01-2021, 08:41 AM
Danger Zone

Thanks all
Old 14-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Danger Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1FAN View Post
Yes if non cellular version then as long as the iPhone is with you there is no difference between the two. The cellular version is only any good if you expect to use it without carrying your phone around. I.e going out for a run you can leave your phone at home but still receive emails and calls with the cellular version but you canít if you have the non cellular version.
But it still tracks all your steps/data etc?
Old 14-01-2021, 12:28 PM
Erect Member

NO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
But it still tracks all your steps/data etc?
Yes
Old 14-01-2021, 12:55 PM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
Nothing good ever comes from buying Apple
Would you Adam and Eve it!
Old 14-01-2021, 01:00 PM
Danger Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1FAN View Post
Yes
Thanks
Old 14-01-2021, 04:54 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
I went with Cellular as i like the idea of not having a bulky iPhone strapped to my arm when running.

It also means i can track my run, listen to music and take calls (if necessary) all from my wrist.

*Vodafone wanted £7 a month extra, though.
Old 14-01-2021, 08:04 PM

KingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not sayKingsleY knows the things you wanted that you could not say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
I went with Cellular as i like the idea of not having a bulky iPhone strapped to my arm when running.

It also means i can track my run, listen to music and take calls (if necessary) all from my wrist.

*Vodafone wanted £7 a month extra, though.
Can do all of that other than take phone calls with the normal version. Although you have to choose the music in advance to store on the watch. Not too much of an issue for me as I donít change it once I start running anyway.

Gps steps etc all track perfectly without cellular or iPhone tether
Old 14-01-2021, 08:13 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsleY View Post
Can do all of that other than take phone calls with the normal version. Although you have to choose the music in advance to store on the watch. Not too much of an issue for me as I donít change it once I start running anyway.

Gps steps etc all track perfectly without cellular or iPhone tether
Not with Spotify you cant.
Old 15-01-2021, 08:16 AM
Danger Zone

Ok so if you have Apple Music for example, have a non cellular phone and go for a run. Does that mean if you don’t have your phone with you, you can’t listen to Apple Music?
Old 15-01-2021, 08:54 AM
XXVII

RUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Ok so if you have Apple Music for example, have a non cellular phone and go for a run. Does that mean if you don’t have your phone with you, you can’t listen to Apple Music?
I’m sure Apple Music is ok as there is an Apple Music app for the watch, but I don’t think there is one for Spotify so you have to have your phone with you to listen to Spotify music.

I went for the cellular and think it’s great.
Old 15-01-2021, 09:07 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Quote:
You can install the Spotify app on the watch, it's just that you can't stream music to it without Cellular (if you dont have a phone nearby). Spotify wont let you store music for offline listening on the watch either. So if you havw the GPS watch only, you need the phone nearby to stream music.

However, Apple Music allows you to store up to 2GB of music on the watch (500 songs). If you use Apple music you can download music to the watch and you can listen to it without the phone nearby.

I agree with Russell, celluar is great.

Last edited by Joe85; 15-01-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 15-01-2021, 09:15 AM
Danger Zone

Ok thanks all useful.

if you have cellular do you have to buy a separate data plan?