Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 09-05-2021, 09:29 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
What about the democratic rights of those who voted in a democratic once in a generation referendum that chose to stay with the UK?
Scotland voted on the assumption that government wouldn't be daft enough to facilitate the leaving of the EU. Scotland is pro EU, and so consequently, Brexit is a game changer for them, hence the need to look at independence again.

Quote:
Each time you have a Scottish election, are the separatists going to hold the UK and half its own people to ransom when it does not get what it wants with a referendum?
Depends on what is contained in the SNP manifesto, and if the electorate vote for it. Its called a democratic right. On this occasion, it is blatantly obvious that the Scottish people want to have one. Those against, as before are perfectly entitled to campaign against independence, and they have in my view, enough ammunition to prevent it.

Quote:
I would say you have had your referendum and the people have chosen to stay and you cannot be doing this every 5 minutes.
Every five minutes is a bit extreme Les agreed, but a seven year plus gap is reasonable, especially under post Brexit circumstances.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:33 AM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
The argument of how often it should be is surely up to the Scottish people, and no one else. People have general elections every few years which can lead to seismic changes.

There has been huge changes in the last seven years and the vote for pro independence parties is clearly enough to warrant a referendum.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:36 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge View Post
I am saying yes to the democratic right for indyref2. Period.

I am also questioning how or what is it is based on?

The argument SNP won a majority is a reason?

Plus how many times do we need to do it? Once a generation? Once every time SNP gets a majority?

I for one do not want Scotland to leave UK, but I also donít want the Scots not to have an debate or right to vote on it which I think is fair and democratic and every option should be presented to the people so they know the good and bad of leaving and donít get screwed over thanks to some self centred individuals who have their own agenda
Yes given the way our democracy works 49% of votes were placed on the two parties who had an indyref2 in their manifestos. As I have already stated, seeing as the SNP won 62 of the 73 constituency seats up here that would equate to a majority of 448 (552 seats) in Westminster!! I think that is justification for an indyref2 no?

That does not mean Scotland goes Independent in anyway whatsoever and all the arguments raised here and elsewhere that argue the folly of going independent get raised and countered in the build up to the vote and then the Scottish people decide. It is called democracy.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 09-05-2021, 09:48 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipw View Post
We may be on different wave lengths - and this isn't an anti Scottish thing as I have as much scottish blood as English, my daughter spent 5 years at a Scottish uni and I generally love the place. I just don't believe the democratic position is as clear as being made out (sturgeon just claiming a landslide win on the Marr show when she hasn't eve n got a majority??) and, no, even if it was 50.1% I don't think that justifies an irreversible referendum.

I might have different view if it was 100% guaranteed that the EU would very quickly readmit Scotland, it was clear to all voters that taxes would have to rise substantially to balance the books and polls indicated that [60]% in favour, i.e. not just a moment in time when the polls are marginally in favour of independence.
With respect you need to understand the electoral system up here to realise how different it is to the UK general elections.

Be in no doubt that getting a 47.7% share of the vote and falling just one short of a majority in an electoral system designed to make a majority an almost impossibility (I am in favour of this BTW) is a fantastic result for the SNP.

It is why I stated their result would equate to a 448 majority in Westminster. I just do not understand how anyone faced with these facts argues against the will of the Scottish people being honoured. We after all agree that the Tories have a democratic right to govern even though they had a 43.6% share of the vote.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:53 AM

legaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
With respect you need to understand the electoral system up here to realise how different it is to the UK general elections.

Be in no doubt that getting a 47.7% share of the vote and falling just one short of a majority in an electoral system designed to make a majority an almost impossibility (I am in favour of this BTW) is a fantastic result for the SNP.

It is why I stated their result would equate to a 448 majority in Westminster. I just do not understand how anyone faced with these facts argues against the will of the Scottish people being honoured. We after all agree that the Tories have a democratic right to govern even though they had a 43.6% share of the vote.
There is a difference between a right to govern......and claiming a figure of unfer 50% as a mandate for a vote for constitutional change...after all remainers in the UK were 49%...
Old 09-05-2021, 10:04 AM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagle2 View Post
There is a difference between a right to govern......and claiming a figure of unfer 50% as a mandate for a vote for constitutional change...after all remainers in the UK were 49%...
Thats the point i’m badly trying to make
Old 09-05-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagle2 View Post
Because it is how democracy works. Both the Greens and the SNP made manifesto commitments for indyref2 and they are choosing to stick by it.

This is an argument for holding indyref2 not an argument for Independence itself. Democracy surely dictates that Johnson should respect the will of the Scottish people.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:31 AM

French Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Because it is how democracy works. Both the Greens and the SNP made manifesto commitments for indyref2 and they are choosing to stick by it.

This is an argument for holding indyref2 not an argument for Independence itself. Democracy surely dictates that Johnson should respect the will of the Scottish people.
So, in your opinion Exiled, will the Scots vote for independence ?
#46 Allez Vale
Old 09-05-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Eagle View Post
So, in your opinion Exiled, will the Scots vote for independence ?
God knows it hangs in the balance and if it happens the vote is at least two years away.

I await Little Al to pop along and say Scotland will not vote for independence 🙂

Old 09-05-2021, 10:47 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
God knows it hangs in the balance and if it happens the vote is at least two years away.

I await Little Al to pop along and say Scotland will not vote for independence 🙂
Here I am, and no they won't.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:48 AM

French Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is here
Okydoky lads .
#46 Allez Vale
Old 09-05-2021, 10:52 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by spt1978 View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Unless I am missing something, the Scottish government own figures point towards a net fiscal deficit of 9.5% in 2019.
I read 24% for last year in a recent independent study. Austerity on steroids will be coming by the look of it.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:01 AM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
I read 24% for last year in a recent independent study. Austerity on steroids will be coming by the look of it.
24% probably includes money spent fighting covid I assume.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:05 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by spt1978 View Post
24% probably includes money spent fighting covid I assume.
Yes compared to 14% in the UK. Going to need years of high growth and tax increases plus possibly cuts for all of us. Not a good time for Scotland to lose NatWest.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
Here I am, and no they won't.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yes compared to 14% in the UK. Going to need years of high growth and tax increases plus possibly cuts for all of us. Not a good time for Scotland to lose NatWest.
NatWest is not that big anymore anyway, pre the GFC It had one of the largest balance sheets in the world, this has now been shrunk considerably as they de-risked. This is probably good for Scotland as any government is effectively back-stopping banks headquarters within their area. Wonder where is leaves people who have mortgages with English banks, no idea of the implications of having a cross border mortgage. Minor I assume but for banks having to chase bad debts through a foreign court feels like a pain in the ass. Mortgages are not really that profitable to be setting up need operations and walking a new banking regulator through everything.

Government ownership is down from 82% to 62% since the last referendum.

Last edited by spt1978; 09-05-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:43 AM

Still £800bn of assets though and the hq complex near Edinburgh airport was huge last time I went past on the bus from the airport to the Gyle. A lot of big jobs at risk.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Anything from Milan?

Quote:
Still £800bn of assets though and the hq complex near Edinburgh airport was huge last time I went past on the bus from the airport to the Gyle. A lot of big jobs at risk.
Indeed, Still have the big office, they are actually moving a lot of jobs from London to Edinburgh. Or they were pre covid.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:41 PM

legaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is here
Quote:

If 49% voted for pro indy parties,presumably 51% didn't,which rather undermines the majority will of the people argument
Old 09-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I see the argument for another referendum. But surely a super majority and an agreement to stick with the result for a generation has to be agreed, if so?