Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Soul Survivor

Caisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Try and listen to some of these....

150 GREAT JAZZ TRACKS FROM THE GOLDMINE, CANVEY ISLAND.(1973-1984)In no particular order..................
1.MILESTONES-MILES DAVIS

2.MILESTONES-MARK MURPHY

3.SIDEWINDER-LEE MORGAN

4.LANSANA'S PRIESTESS-DONALD BYRD

5.I BELIEVE IN LOVE-PAT LONGO

6.HARLEM RIVER DRIVE-BOBBI HUMPHREY

7.DEM TAMBOURINES-DON WILKERSON

8.SAUSALITO-GROVER WASHINGTON JNR

9.SANDALIA DELA-DUKE PEARSON

10.HE LOVES YOU -SEAWIND

11.INNER CIRCLES-PACIFIC EARDRUM

12.TAKE ME TO ARUANDA-ASTRUD GILBERTO

13.MAS QUE NADA-SERGIO MENDES

14.BOSS TRES BIEN-QUARTETTE TRES BIEN

15.LITTLE SAMBA-GEORGIE FAME

16.DOWN ST.THOMAS WAY-MARK MURPHY

17.DON'T BE BLUE-JACKIE AND ROY

18.EL BOBO-WEBSTER LEWIS

19.NEW YORK AFTERNOON-RICHIE COLE / EDDIE JEFFERSON

20.I'LL BET YOU THOUGHT I'D NEVER FIND YOU-JON HENDRICKS

21.PISTACHIO-JIMMY COBB

22.JAZZ FREAK-PAULETTE REAVES

23.LOVE FOR SALE-TRUDIE PITTS

24.FROM THE BEGINNING-BARBARA CARROL

25.STARRSONG-PAT BRITT

26.CANT HIDE LOVE-JIMMY SMITH

27.SOUL FUSION-MILT JACKSON

28.SAMBA DE FLORA-AIRTO MOREIRA

29.MARDI GRAS-LONNIE LISTON SMITH

30.LOVE IS NOT ENOUGH-DAVID SANBORN

31.LOVE SAMBA-McCOY TYNER

32.ROFOROFO FIGHT-FELA KUTI

33.GIBRALTAR-FREDDIE HUBBARD

34.I'LL REMEMBER APRIL-JOHNNY GUITAR WATSON

35.ANTES DE MAIS NADA-PACIFIC JAM

36.JEANNINE-EDDIE JEFFERSON

37.LITTLE BLACK SAMBA-GROVER WASHINGTON JNR

38.EXPANSIONS-LONNIE LISTON SMITH

39.NEW YORK CITY-MIROSLAV VITOUS

40.SKINDO LE LE-ALIVE

41.HUNT UP WIND-HIROSHI FUKUMURA

42.THE COFFEE SONG-EYDIE GORME

43.HOUSE OF BAMBOO-EARL GRANT

44.LOS CONQUISTADORES CHOCOLATES-JOHNNY HAMMOND

45.FLIGHT TIME-DONALD BYRD

46.SEE YOU LATER-JOANNE GRAUER

47.COME WITH ME-TANIA MARIA

48.LATONA-"BIG"JOHN PATTON

49.LIFE IS LIKE A SAMBA-DAVID BENOIT

50.MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME-NINA SIMONE

51.CENTRAL PARK-CHICK COREA

52.SLICK EDDIE-SONNY STITT

53.JAZZ CARNIVAL-AZYMUTH

54.LATIN AMERICA-CEDAR WALTON

55.AINT NO SUNSHINE-SIVUCA

56.BRAZILLIAN LOVE AFFAIR-GEORGE DUKE

57.ALL ABOUT MY GIRL-JIMMY MCGRIFF

58.MOUNTAIN DANCE-DAVE GRUSIN

59.MOANIN'-ART BLAKEY

60.BLUE MONSOON-JACK MCDUFF

61.TEQUILA-WES MONTGOMERY

62.THE GENIE-BOBBY LYLE

63.MY DELIGHT-MIKIO MASUDA

64.ZAIUS-EDDIE RUSS

65.WESTCHESTER LADY-BOB JAMES

66.BARBARA ANN-WEBSTER LEWIS

67.LIFE ON MARS-DEXTER WANSEL

68.ALWAYS THERE-WILLIE BOBO

69.CALL ME-NANCY WILSON

70.ALFIES THEME-SONNY ROLLINS

71.IM STAYING FOREVER-WAYNE HENDERSON

72.BLACK WHIP-IVAN "BOOGALOO JOE" JONES

73.THERE ARE MANY STOPS ALONG THE WAY-JOE SAMPLE

74.NANANA SONG-MASSADA

75.JUNGLE KITTEN-MANFREDO FEST

76.THE GROOVE-RODNEY FRANKLIN

77.KEEP SMILIN'-GABOR SZABO

78.PRANCE ON-EDDIE HENDERSON

79.BLUES WALK-ED LINCOLN

80.THE SAMBA-JEFF LORBER

81.FREE-SEAWIND

82.IN AND OUT-BRIAN AUGER

83.WACK WACK-YOUNG HOLT UNLIMITED

84.CHEGANCA-WALTER WANDERLEY TRIO

85.ST.THOMAS-SONNY ROLLINS

86.CANT HIDE LOVE-JIMMY SMITH

87.SHAKER SONG-SPYRO GYRA

88.BIG BLOW-MANU DIBANGO

89.DANCE WITH ME-BOBBY McFERRIN

90.CARNIVAL-JOHN HANDY

91.THE CRICKETS SING-DEE FELICE TRIO

92.ANOTHER STAR-URBIE GREEN

93.SUDDEN SAMBA-NEIL LARSEN

94.FLY BY NIGHT-LEE RITENOUR

95.I THOUGHT IT WAS YOU-HERBIE HANCOCK

96.MR.KICKS-OSCAR BROWN JNR.

97.HI-FLY -RICHIE COLE

98.THE CAT-JIMMY SMITH

99.6.30 BLUES [theme from the chalet rap]-JOE JONES

100. SO HIGH-JANET LAWSON

101. I'M ALWAYS DANCING TO THE MUSIC-BENNY GOLSON

102. LITTLE SUNFLOWER-FREDDIE HUBBARD

103. WEST END DANCER-JAY HOGGARD

104. UNICORN-DIZZY GILLESPIE

105. LOVING YOU-DONALD BYRD

106. MISS CHERYL-BANDA BLACK RIO

107. CHEKERE' SON-IRAKERE

108. MUSTANG-CURTIS AMY

109. HARD WORK-JOHN HANDY

110. SAMBA FOR MARIA-NORMAN CONNORS

111. CRICKETS SING-MARCOS VALLE

112. DO IT THE HARD WAY-CHET BAKER

113. SHAKER SONG-MANHATTEN TRANSFER

114. MI SABRINA TEQUANA-INGRAM

115. SELIM-JOHNNY LYTTLE

116. BACK IN CENTRAL PARK-EARL KLUGH

117. HUMMINGBIRD BAY-JOHN KLEMMER

118. I LIKE IT-MICHAEL WHITE

119. I CAN TELL-JOHN HANDY

120. FOR THE PUBLIC-HEATH BROTHERS

121. MADELENA-CLAUDIO RODITI / KENIA

122. DISCO-TEASE - LYMAN WOODARD ORGANISATION

123. STELLA-NORMAN CONNORS

124. DANCIN' LOVE AFFAIR-WAYNE HENDERSON

125. FRIDAY NIGHT FUNK FOR SATURDAY NIGHT BROTHERS-RUSTY BRYANT

126. INTERGALACTIC LOVE SONG -CHARLES EARLAND

127. LOVE WILL FIND A WAY - PHAROAH SANDERS

128. SWEET POWER OF YOUR EMRACE-JAMES MASON

129. BUGALU-CHARLIE PALMIERI

130. MR.MAGIC - GROVER WASHINGTON JNR

131. DEJA VU - PAULINHO DA COSTA

132. DREAMIN'-HEATH BROTHERS

133. COULD HEAVEN EVER BE LIKE THIS-IDRIS MUHAMMAD

134. JAWS-LALO SCHIFRIN

135. RAG BAG-DAVE GRUSIN

136. COUNTDOWN - LEE RITENOUR

137. I LIKE THE MUSIC MAKE IT HOT-RODNEY FRANKLIN

138. FLYING MACHINE-WAR

139. BRASILIA-JOHN KLEMMER

140. VENCEREMOS - WORKING WEEK

141. FIESTA-GATO BARBIERI

145. DEAR LIMMERTZ- AZYMUTH

146. OVERTURE-RAUL DE SOUZA

147. SAY YOU WILL-EDDIE HENDERSON

148. RACE TRACK IN FRANCE-GIL SCOTT-HERON

149. CAVEMAN BOOGIE-LESETTE WILSON

150. WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM-KANU SUKKALARRGWUN

Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Krise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by west country boy
Gosh. "A Love Supreme" was the first jazz album I ever got, and I found it, if not easy listening, very accessible.
Same here. Only jazz-album I've given more than two listens. It challenges me, very interesting, I like it

If you don't get the rhythm in 'A Love Supreme' (especially 'Acknowledgement' and 'Resolution'), you probably just don't get it (jazz)

Last edited by Krise; 11-04-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 22-03-2019, 08:55 AM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
Giving this an 11 year bump as i've been listening to more and more jazz in recent times. I think Flying Lotus being influenced by more and more jazz artists certainly made a big impact on what I listen to. Him being the nephew of Alice Coltrane is definitely noticeable

Listening to some Bad Plus atm. Digging a lot of newer artists too. Onyx Collective, BADBADNOTGOOD, Ben Lamar Gay, Sons of Kemet are all really great.

http://www.last.fm/user/the_paulo
Old 22-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Everyone seems to be listening to more jazz these days, I think perhaps because it's becoming ubiquitous through hip hop. An excellent thing, and one which gives hope in tumultuous times.
Before Mat banned me on Twitter, I noticed and can report that he, too, had fallen under the spell of Miles.
Old 22-03-2019, 10:54 AM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
Yeah, hip hop was definitely a gateway for me when I first started listening to jazz.

Old 22-03-2019, 12:42 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
I don’t listen to much modern hip hop so could well be talking out of my aris, but there doesn’t seem to be much of a jazz influence these days.
Old 22-03-2019, 12:57 PM
43% Burnt

There are probably loads, but BBNG did a whole album with Ghostface. Onyx Collective have done shows with Wiki and Princess Nokia. The Avantdale Bowling Club album from last year is a proper modern jazz rap album. Even Mac Millers last album had some smooth jazzy vibes to it. Mike Jenkins recent stuff too. I mean, non of them are gonna be bothering any charts any time soon and I highly doubt you'll see lil yachty making a rap album any time soon. But it's there if you dig.

Old 22-03-2019, 01:00 PM
43% Burnt

Lets not forget Kendrick too, you can see his jazz influences dripping through on recent albums.

Old 22-03-2019, 01:04 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
Lets not forget Kendrick too, you can see his jazz influences dripping through on recent albums.
This is very true (cf his work with Kamasi Washington and whatnot), but I meant the sort of stuff El Ag would be aware of, like the aforementioned bellend Lil Yachty.
Old 22-03-2019, 01:17 PM
43% Burnt

Forgot about Kamasi too. Digging the Jamire Williams album from a couple of years too. He did some production work on the new Solange album, as did Standing On The Corner. They're another NY collective with electronica and jazz roots. Then there's guys like MIKE and the new Earl Sweatshirt album who/which have jazz influences.

On a house vibe, the Jay Daniel album from last year was really great.

Old 22-03-2019, 01:53 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
A very interesting thread, so much depends on how you first start to listen to the different styles. I was brought up on the sounds of people like Lester Young( known as the Pres.) whereas if I had encountered some one like Coltrane " off on a solo trip" It would have perhaps curtailed my interest.

It is probably better to work your way into Jazz by going for example via Art Tatum and Bill Evans and Nat Cole for Piano rather than straight into Monk.

A lot of snobbery exists in jazz and lots deride the jazz treatment of musicals, Gershwin by Oscar Peterson and other genres which is often the sensible way to go to learn and acquire your own taste.

During what is often referred to as the golden age of Jazz most recordings were recorded in mono and such music is vastly superior listened to via a mono stylus.

I do not consider myself necessarily typical even though I have a lot of jazz music because while I can appreciate the instrumental ability of Charlie Parker, John Coltrane to me they come across as stand up soloists like the days of big bands and not enjoyable.
Old 22-03-2019, 02:44 PM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
There are interesting young Brit jazzers about at the moment, some of whom are mentioned in this article,

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Here's some Theon Cross if you're partial to a bit of tuba

Old 22-03-2019, 02:50 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Funny this thread got bumped. I've started listening to random jazz on Pandora lately while in the bathroom taking a shower/shaving etc..

It all started when reading the Harry Bosch detective books, and he is really into jazz and keeps talking about listening to Art Pepper. Not having a clue I put Art Pepper in Pandora as the theme criteria, and ended up quite liking what I hear, except I don't have a clue who or what I'm listening to.

It is easy listening though that has a sophisticated feel to it. I'm getting hooked.
Old 22-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
This is very true (cf his work with Kamasi Washington and whatnot), but I meant the sort of stuff El Ag would be aware of, like the aforementioned bellend Lil Yachty.
I was mostly thinking of Kendrick, but you are right that I listened to him after listening to Kamasi Washington.

I dunno about all this gateway talk. I think "A Love Supreme" was the first jazz album I listened to, when I was about 16 - it was in my house and it always had a bit of a connection with rock music like the Stooges and Love, Patti Smith, Hendrix - that kind of stuff I listened to when I was a teenager. The way in is more to do with your reference points, I think - Monk makes a lot of sense to rockers, as well.
Old 22-03-2019, 05:31 PM
jft39

I think it was the Blue Train album cover for me (I am incredibly shallow).
Old 22-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

There’s definitely an argument to be had here with Harry Bassett about the respective merits of Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins.
Old 22-03-2019, 06:28 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
There’s definitely an argument to be had here with Harry Bassett about the respective merits of Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins.
A bit of a strange comment as I did not mention Coleman Hawkins? I mentioned Lester Young only because he was possibly the most notable sax player when I was young.

I like a wide range of players including Hawkins, Bostic, Mulligan and many others, my absolute favourite of all time being Ben Webster.
Old 23-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Soul Survivor

Caisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by foetus eagle View Post
There are interesting young Brit jazzers about at the moment, some of whom are mentioned in this article,

Here's some Theon Cross if you're partial to a bit of tuba

Love that album!
Old 23-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Soul Survivor

Epic tune from Kamasi. Love it!

Old 23-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bassett View Post
A bit of a strange comment as I did not mention Coleman Hawkins? I mentioned Lester Young only because he was possibly the most notable sax player when I was young.

I like a wide range of players including Hawkins, Bostic, Mulligan and many others, my absolute favourite of all time being Ben Webster.
I was just making a laboured jest - apparently it was a big controversy, back in the day. I do love Hawkins, though. I think Sonny Rollins is probably my favourite.