Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 23-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Anyway, today I bought the Bud Powell Trio - Strictly Bud, and Miles and Coltrane - the final tour 4 CD set.
And as a cap doff to Harry, listened to one of my favourite records ever, Duke Ellington with Coleman Hawkins, really ******* loud.
Old 23-03-2019, 08:27 PM
www.chrisbrownjazz.com

Chrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Anyway, today I bought the Bud Powell Trio - Strictly Bud, and Miles and Coltrane - the final tour 4 CD set.
And as a cap doff to Harry, listened to one of my favourite records ever, Duke Ellington with Coleman Hawkins, really ******* loud.
That Miles and Coltrane record is heavy. I know not everyone is into it but that period before Trane's definitive One Down, One Up album is possibly my favourite music ever. Miles wasn't very keen on his playing on that album if you've read his autobiography, he says he felt Trane was playing for himself rather than for the music, but that's something I personally favour. Miles' beautiful lyricism combined with Trane's madness creates this amazingly interesting vibe, and it's great to hear pretty much the same tunes on different dates to see where they differ and what's been pre-decided.

On an aside, it's rare I listen to modern players but Joshua Redman's double album Spirit of the Moment, Live at the Village Vanguard has thrown me for 6 so many times I've lost count. Absolutely worth a listen for any jazz fan of any type.
Old 23-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Right on bro. It’s a very intriguing record, you’ve made a very convincing argument as to what’s going on there.
I saw Joshua Redman last year. It was great, but he had to follow Charles Lloyd who was unbelievable.
Old 23-03-2019, 10:51 PM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
I’m listening to A Love Supreme at the moment. I always forget what a superb album it really is.

http://www.last.fm/user/the_paulo
Old 24-03-2019, 07:17 PM
Soul Survivor

Caisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Old 27-03-2019, 10:55 AM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
The recent Theon Cross and The Comet Is Coming albums are both pretty ******* great. Can see both getting a lot of listens.

Old 27-03-2019, 11:12 AM
43% Burnt

Good article, this...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 27-03-2019, 01:12 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Nice work.
Old 28-03-2019, 06:53 PM
www.chrisbrownjazz.com

Chrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChrissayy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Right on bro. It’s a very intriguing record, you’ve made a very convincing argument as to what’s going on there.
I saw Joshua Redman last year. It was great, but he had to follow Charles Lloyd who was unbelievable.
I'm actually quite surprised Charles Lloyd upstaged Joshua Redman as I've seen both but felt more from Redman, though that might be because I saw him with the Metrpole Orkest and they'll make any saxophonist sound amazing.
Have seen a fair few mentions of A Love Supreme on here, and even though I'm a Coltrane fanboy to the point of having a tattoo of him on my arm, thought I'd offer up something similar which maybe people who are into it haven't heard or whatever.
Pharaoh Sanders, one of Coltrane's disciples if you will, played on Om! and generally was his protege, still alive and kicking so see him if you get the chance, every time I've seen him he's blown my mind. He's in Amsterdam this summer but I'm on tour myself so will miss it but I'd even say it's worth the journey over from UK to see him, it's the closest you'll get to seeing something as spiritually powerful as Trane himself. Anyway I digress, this is a track from his Karma album, at 30 mins for one track you get the idea of what's going on, but especially the first couple of minutes is some of the most beautiful music ever, and it just goes further and further into the ether before returning. Definitely worth a listen on headphones if you're lost for something to do!
Old 28-03-2019, 07:04 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

I saw the Pharaoh last year at the Festival Hall (in the company of erstwhile BBSer Don Donovani, who really ought to be on this thread). His timing was unbelievable - played the above and Olé and a few other Coltrane gems (it was a Iohn and Alice Coltrane tribute night). Great evening following a slightly frustrating home draw with Everton.
Old 28-03-2019, 07:04 PM
9dw

Roadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
Good article, this...

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Of those, SEED Ensemble's album is one of the best I've heard this year
Old 28-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Old 28-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Anyone checked out The Comet is Coming? Trust in the Life Force is a great record.
Old 28-03-2019, 07:18 PM
www.chrisbrownjazz.com

Quote:
I saw the Pharaoh last year at the Festival Hall (in the company of erstwhile BBSer Don Donovani, who really ought to be on this thread). His timing was unbelievable - played the above and Olé and a few other Coltrane gems (it was a Iohn and Alice Coltrane tribute night). Great evening following a slightly frustrating home draw with Everton.
Oh I remember that gig! Not so much the Everton game though oops. Think it coincided with the release of the Chasin' the Trane documentary? My abiding memory of him was my first time at North Sea Jazz Festival when I allotted 20 minutes to see him without knowing who he was beforehand. He was already into his solo and 20 minutes later was still on the same solo! I stayed to watch the end and missed Robert Glasper which I wasn't exactly unhappy about in retrospect!
Old 28-03-2019, 07:24 PM
www.chrisbrownjazz.com

Oh and I should probably take this opportunity to plug myself to fellow Palace and jazz fans so check out my website To view the link you have to Register or Login, the music is free to listen to there and hopefully to download, if not let me know and I'll try to fix it. Haven't recorded anything for around 4 years but am recording my third album in May with the finest Dutch ensemble I could muster, and I've just been living in the practice room the whole time so it should be a good one! (He hopes).
Old 29-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Nice stuff, thank you.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:15 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissayy View Post
Oh I remember that gig! Not so much the Everton game though oops. Think it coincided with the release of the Chasin' the Trane documentary? My abiding memory of him was my first time at North Sea Jazz Festival when I allotted 20 minutes to see him without knowing who he was beforehand. He was already into his solo and 20 minutes later was still on the same solo! I stayed to watch the end and missed Robert Glasper which I wasn't exactly unhappy about in retrospect!
What's wrong with Robert Glasper?

I am listening to To view the link you have to Register or Login at the moment.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 PM
Soul Survivor

Caisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Old 01-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Soul Survivor

Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 AM
43% Burnt

Finally got round to listening to Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah's The Centennial Trilogy these past couple of days. Breathtaking stuff. His cover of Radioheads Videotape is probably better than the original!