Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 26-02-2021, 04:15 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I have to admit that my favourite versions of many Beatles songs are cover versions.
With a Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker
Across the Universe - Laibach
It's All Too Much - Steve Hillage
that's because the best way to improve a beetles song is to get anyone but the beetles.to play it.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 26-02-2021, 04:24 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
, they're not exactly an album band, imo. .
What about Sgt Pepper's? Wasn't that the first "concept" album? Can get more albumy than that I reckon.
It is perhaps the only one I can listen to... I'm firmly with ME on this one and cant really see what all the fuss is about. Back then, maybe, but now? No thanks.
Old 26-02-2021, 04:26 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
You have got to be trolling or you must be one of those musicians that just like saying The Beatles were overrated as it then appears you know something others donít.

Of course everyone is free and totally correct to say they much prefer listening to The Stones, Bowie or the bloody Smurfs than The Beatles. Thatís totally valid. Music taste is subjective and all in the ear of the beholder. Iím not even talking about record sales, even though The Beatles top that chart too.

But if we are talking solely about music as an art from and trying to gage song writing ability, recording techniques and influence their music had on the world and generations of people, then thereís only one winner and it ainít the Smurfs, Level 42 or whatever grabs your fancy.
Why do you assume that just because I feel the beetles are overrated I must be "trolling" or "on of those musicians..." ? All.of the above just reeks of the arrogance a beetles acolyte when someone has dared to blasphemy that their deity has not got the cache they have been brainwashed into believing.

It's a severe case of the Emperors New Clothes, you won't see it because you can't see it and you refuse to hear otherwise. They were 4 lads who happened to.come along when pretty boys were all the rage, found a genius of a producer who made their little.pop.songs sound better, they stop playing.live because they know they couldn't do.it regularly on the road, then the 2 real.talents.in the group started to realise that the egotistical Mctwuntney and the ex hairdresser were holding them back, Lennon refused to play on the puerile shite Mctwuntney was churning out (and continued to churn.out when the band split) Harrison refused to be condescended to by a man not fit to string his guitar and who had kept his undoubted talent hidden behind his gurning, baggage bass playing.

Harrison and Lennon went on to be far better solo performers than the other 2 members of the boy band.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 26-02-2021, 04:52 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
lol @ u saying “boy band” & “beetles”. u cray cray
Old 26-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Doh! Yes you are right of course.

To make matters worse, I think I was thinking of "Band on the Run"!

Senile dementia is coming on by the looks of it!

(Although I did mean TLAWR for my Desert Island Disc appearance)
Nope, wrong again, it must already be here - who said that....., oh hello when did you arrive.

it would be funny if.....
Old 26-02-2021, 05:31 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Why do you assume that just because I feel the beetles are overrated I must be "trolling" or "on of those musicians..." ? All.of the above just reeks of the arrogance a beetles acolyte when someone has dared to blasphemy that their deity has not got the cache they have been brainwashed into believing.

It's a severe case of the Emperors New Clothes, you won't see it because you can't see it and you refuse to hear otherwise. They were 4 lads who happened to.come along when pretty boys were all the rage, found a genius of a producer who made their little.pop.songs sound better, they stop playing.live because they know they couldn't do.it regularly on the road, then the 2 real.talents.in the group started to realise that the egotistical Mctwuntney and the ex hairdresser were holding them back, Lennon refused to play on the puerile shite Mctwuntney was churning out (and continued to churn.out when the band split) Harrison refused to be condescended to by a man not fit to string his guitar and who had kept his undoubted talent hidden behind his gurning, baggage bass playing.

Harrison and Lennon went on to be far better solo performers than the other 2 members of the boy band.
Mate, I don’t know where to start? Absolute tosh from start to finish. You can’t honestly believe what you’ve just written? I prefer to think that you’re just on a wind up and just enjoy teasing Beatle obsessives like me, because no one can be that far off the mark.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 26-02-2021, 05:36 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Mate, I donít know where to start? Absolutely tosh from start to finish. You canít honestly believe what youíve just written? I prefer to think that youíre just on a wind up and just enjoy teasing Beatle obsessives like me, because no one can be that far off the mark.
Have you never read any of Pedroís hilarious Beatles comments before?
Old 26-02-2021, 05:44 PM

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatleboy View Post
II totally disagree that 6 or 7 songs per BEATLES album were average.

That isn't what I was trying to say. I meant 6 or 7 per solo album. So, PM wrote about 6 or 7 good songs per solo album, same with JL. George, imo wrote better solo albums in terms of quality but again imo his individual songs(after the Beatles) were far less memorable that the other 2.
Old 26-02-2021, 05:49 PM

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Agree. Ray Davies is massively underrated as a songwriting craftsman. If you took the best 10 songs written by every popular music artist in the U.K. , he would be right there in the Champions League places.

The reason the Kinks didnít break the States is because at the height of their powers in the mid 60ís they were ridiculously banned from performing there for four years. They upset quite a few folk in their Ď65 tour with punch ups during gigs, not turning up to venues and political comments that didnít go down very well with some Americans.

Ray Davies was a law unto himself. Not really that well known, but Ray really suffered mentally all his life. Had a breakdown at the height of their fame and was later in life diagnosed with Schizophrenia.

Around the time his autobiography X Ray was released in the mid 90ís, I saw him perform a one man show at Fairfield Halls. He just basically talked about his life and accompanied each anecdote with one of his songs. One of my favourite and most memorable shows Iíve ever seen.
He wrote some very strange lyrics imo. It doesn't distract from his talent though.
Old 26-02-2021, 06:05 PM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Beatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I have to admit that my favourite versions of many Beatles songs are cover versions.
With a Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker
Across the Universe - Laibach
It's All Too Much - Steve Hillage
I think it says a lot about just how great the BEATLES were/are, that all the covers you have mentioned here are merely BEATLES album tracks.

With a little help from my friends was the obligatory song per album that they let Ringo sing the lead on ( obviously neither John nor Paul were that bothered about the track to sing the lead on it). I like Joe Cocker's version too.

It's all too much was a quite bland George Harrison song for the animated Yellow Submarine movie. It was a "contractual obligation" album as the BEATLES had already produced the Classic Sgt Pepper album around that time and they couldn't be too bothered about writing new stuff for Yellow Submarine. It's not a song that I really think about often - I had to play it again to remind myself of how it sounded!

Across The Universe is a great Lennon song (although again only an album track). I have played the Laibach version now - and it is a beautiful arrangement.

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySwY7...eature=related
Old 26-02-2021, 06:15 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by garronrav View Post
Was U2 Helter Skelter a cover version?
A live version on their Rattle and Hum double album.

Bono introduces it with 'This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. Weíre stealing it back'.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 26-02-2021, 06:15 PM
jft39

Apart from All Things Must Pass (terrific, but too long and over-produced), which Harrison LPs are worth grooving on down to?
Old 26-02-2021, 06:17 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
I saw a video blog recently where the guy cut down the White Album to just two sides. Maybe Classic Album Review but I will post a link if I find it again.
Here is the link to The Beatles: 'White Album' Reconfigured | The Single Album:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 26-02-2021, 06:17 PM
jft39

I cannot believe that Beatleboy has now listened to Laibach. If I owned an Anthony Eden I would doff it in his general direction.
Old 26-02-2021, 06:20 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I concur. Hail Beatleboy.
Old 26-02-2021, 06:26 PM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Beatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
That isn't what I was trying to say. I meant 6 or 7 per solo album. So, PM wrote about 6 or 7 good songs per solo album, same with JL. George, imo wrote better solo albums in terms of quality but again imo his individual songs(after the Beatles) were far less memorable that the other 2.
The BEATLES were a phenomenon. Anyone who was around in the 1960's and saw the influence that they had on the World in terms of music and culture will know exactly what I mean. For those not around then, just read the history books and play the songs through in sequential order.

"BEATLEMANIA" really did happen. They were so far ahead of all the other groups in what was (arguably) the greatest decade ever for popular music. People really were spellbound waiting to hear what the next "Fab Four" single would sound like. People on here have mentioned other terrific artistes from the 60's including the Kinks and The Rolling Stones, but forget about any so called rivalry with the Stones or any others, The BEATLES were considered to be in a class of their own - "Four Lads who shook the World" is such an accurate description.

The synergy that they produced as a group was what raised them to a different level. Having a John Lennon or a Paul McCartney as individual performers and songwriters in a musical lifetime would have been special, to put them together in the same band, mixing in the undoubted talent of George Harrison and the much underated Ringo Starr made them magical.

Individually John and Paul produced some great stuff, and George wrote a few classic songs, mainly with the BEATLES (e.g. Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps). My Sweet Lord was his most well known single after the BEATLES split up. I agree with you about the solo tracks that they later produced. I tend to know more of John's later stuff than Paul's or George's.

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySwY7...eature=related

Last edited by Beatleboy; 26-02-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 26-02-2021, 06:33 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
A live version on their Rattle and Hum double album.

Bono introduces it with 'This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. Weíre stealing it back'.
bono so full of shit his eyes are brown

SaulAlinsky
Old 26-02-2021, 06:35 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Apart from All Things Must Pass (terrific, but too long and over-produced), which Harrison LPs are worth grooving on down to?
my dad used to have that on 2 x 8 track cartridges. I prefered his copy of the soundtrack to Easy Rider....

SaulAlinsky
Old 26-02-2021, 07:46 PM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrolling bones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatleboy View Post
The BEATLES were a phenomenon. Anyone who was around in the 1960's and saw the influence that they had on the World in terms of music and culture will know exactly what I mean. For those not around then, just read the history books and play the songs through in sequential order.

"BEATLEMANIA" really did happen. They were so far ahead of all the other groups in what was (arguably) the greatest decade ever for popular music. People really were spellbound waiting to hear what the next "Fab Four" single would sound like. People on here have mentioned other terrific artistes from the 60's including the Kinks and The Rolling Stones, but forget about any so called rivalry with the Stones or any others, The BEATLES were considered to be in a class of their own - "Four Lads who shook the World" is such an accurate description.

The synergy that they produced as a group was what raised them to a different level. Having a John Lennon or a Paul McCartney as individual performers and songwriters in a musical lifetime would have been special, to put them together in the same band, mixing in the undoubted talent of George Harrison and the much underated Ringo Starr made them magical.

Individually John and Paul produced some great stuff, and George wrote a few classic songs, mainly with the BEATLES (e.g. Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps). My Sweet Lord was his most well known single after the BEATLES split up. I agree with you about the solo tracks that they later produced. I tend to know more of John's later stuff than Paul's or George's.
From the books I have read on the stones, there wasn't any rivalry or professional jealousy . Just mutual admiration and jagger quite fancying peeling the underwear off of Jane Asher . I did read an article once where Lennon apparently suggested to jagger that the stones might be better without Brian Jones because of his drugs problem causing albums to be delayed etc , which I thought was a bit ironic

Impervious to fvck bullets
Old 27-02-2021, 01:34 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post

I was actually just going to post something along these lines.

Looking back in hindsight there was a hint of "Boy Band" about them with their matching hair styles and matching clothes. Basically made for TV style, especially the American audience. Then the silly movies and silly songs.

But to their credit I think they did pull themselves out of that rut and became a respectable group of writers and recording artist, if not a band. Let's face it their early tours were somewhat of a joke. I'm still not convinced any concert they did as a band came anywhere close to a concert both the other top bands at the time.

Credit where credit is due, I've heard Paul Macs concerts of late are pretty good, but I suspect with a lot of electronic enhancement!