Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM
cpfc since october 1966

palacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
small world - what are the chances?

OK, so not quite Selhurst and beating Brighton,
but was at the LA Galaxy Cup game and met a few friends in the bar at half time. About half of them English. I go to a few LA games a season and it's ok. Nice Stadium and good live football experience for my two girls (one day they will get to Selhurst).
(I've been here (California, US) 17 years, my girls are 14 and 12, both born here).
I was wearing our Cup Final "Fly Virgin to LA" shirt and One of my girls was wearing my old TDK Palace top. (other had a Beckham shirt on , ok, yea I know ...)

Anyway, having a beer at half time, and met a friend of a friend, tells me he was also born in South London (I'm from Clapham) but he's a Hammers supporter and been here 20 odd years.
He tells me he has a soft spot for Palace as he went to his first ever game at Selhurst ..... against Rotherham ....... (I think wow) ........ back in the mid/late 60s .... (I think wow) .... and he remembers the score was 1-1 ....
I swear the hairs on the back of my neck stood up ....... I told him about my first ever game ... Sat 22 Oct 1966 Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Rotherham U.
never drew with them 1-1 again until the 80s.
and not exactly a big game for us eh? what are the chances? 46 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1785.JPG (1.90 MB, 661 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Spooky! Nice pic too.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
You are Ray Winstone and I claim my £5.

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
cpfc since october 1966

palacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
funny you should say that ... not the first ...
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Wow... 1966 - what were you - like 5 years old?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM
cpfc since october 1966

7, used to go with my mate who was younger than me and his 'big' brother, who was two years older than us. Used to walk from Kings Avenue and get the '159' bus from Brixton/Streatham Hill to Thornton Heath.
Evening games as well.
Don't think I'd let my kids do it today though.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog
Wow... 1966 - what were you - like 5 years old?
Oi! I was 17 Was prob at that game too...if I could remember

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.
Abraham J. Herschel, Jewish theologian and philosopher

be nice to me...I have considerable rep power!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Tried, but couldn't leave

britabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbritabroad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Anyone else notice the badge on that shirt? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I am in the CPFC cult.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by britabroad
Genuine late 1980's Palace badge - Uncle Ron used the 'Life Line' Eagle (for those that don't know, Life Line used to be a Palace weekly draw that you used to have to subscribe to for approx £100 per year - and got back discounts on club merchandise, travel and priority for big match tickets) - apparently Steve Coppell didn't like the original Palace Eagle - because he said it looked anemic!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 AM

Alex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Saw you on SSN when they were banging on about Beckham. I could see someone in the background in a red and blue shirt with the fly virgin sponsor.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Location: Hiding behind Maidstoned who's hiding behind Biggus
garronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite
Genuine late 1980's Palace badge - Uncle Ron used the 'Life Line' Eagle (for those that don't know, Life Line used to be a Palace weekly draw that you used to have to subscribe to for approx £100 per year - and got back discounts on club merchandise, travel and priority for big match tickets) - apparently Steve Coppell didn't like the original Palace Eagle - because he said it looked anemic!
Yep, i purchased the very same shirt from the club shop last year as a gift to a spanish Barcelona/Palace fan who lives in my Spanish town.
Im still here in England at the moment but will return to Spain soon and when i am back here around March he and his Brother are coming over with me to hopefully enjoy their first Palace experience
Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Over Land & Sea

imashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ive got that shirt as well around the 1990 fa cup run.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 AM

delboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdelboy01 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My First game was 11 days early. Terry longs testimonial against an international 11. We lost 7-5. I was 8!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy01
My First game was 11 days early. Terry longs testimonial against an international 11. We lost 7-5. I was 8!
I was at a testimonial match when palace played an international XI. Was sure it was for Terry Long but it was much later that 66. Either 69 or 70. The score was a rugby one and I remember Tommy Steele guesting and scoring a brilliant individual goal. At the time I didn't know that it was staged. If it wasn't for Terry Long it might have been for Eddy Pressland. Anyone remember?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by britabroad
The badge is right and was used on the FA Cup semi final shirts with Fly Virgin to LA, but it changed to the 'phoenix' eagle & Palace building for the final...BUT where is the Bukta logo?

Who opened their lunch?
Old 16-12-2012, 06:18 PM

postman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky
The badge is right and was used on the FA Cup semi final shirts with Fly Virgin to LA, but it changed to the 'phoenix' eagle & Palace building for the final...BUT where is the Bukta logo?

I can never get to much of this picture.
Old 16-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by postman plod
I can never get to much of this picture.
And somebody recently said Darren Ambrose scored Palace's most important goal

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.
Old 16-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Grey Haired

geoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John
I was at a testimonial match when palace played an international XI. Was sure it was for Terry Long but it was much later that 66. Either 69 or 70. The score was a rugby one and I remember Tommy Steele guesting and scoring a brilliant individual goal. At the time I didn't know that it was staged. If it wasn't for Terry Long it might have been for Eddy Pressland. Anyone remember?
The Tommy Steele goal was the Arthur Rowe (had beem manager in 50s?/or chief scout in 60s) testimonial in 69/70, Palace 3 International (including Tommy Steele who for those not old enough was famous singer/actor ('Half-a-sixpence' was one of his famous songs around that time)XI 5. Was around November 1969 time. THink there was around 10,000 at the game. Steele was supposedly a good footballer when youunger but as you say I think no one was going to tackle him once he got into a goal scoring position. and let him walk it into the net. IF you google Tommy Steele I'm sure there will be an anwful lot about him.
Old 17-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Old School Palace

Pistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite
Genuine late 1980's Palace badge - Uncle Ron used the 'Life Line' Eagle (for those that don't know, Life Line used to be a Palace weekly draw that you used to have to subscribe to for approx £100 per year - and got Uncle Ron all the money he needed to buy his golf courses) - apparently Steve Coppell didn't like the original Palace Eagle - because he said it looked anemic!

EFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Can you imagine the sky commentators making some reference to South Londoners enjoying their day out - cut to a 40 year old in full Palace kit dribbling whilst a mexican wave flies past.
http://www.fishfight.net
http://www.fsf.org.uk/

ST Holder:Block D: Lower Homesdale
Old 17-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
When I was a kid my parents took in students, they were waiting for one to arrive when my uncle who was a London black cab driver knocked at the door with the student with him. The student had got in a cab at Victoria which just happened to be my uncles!