Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 28-02-2005, 11:01 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Palace Dollies

Have recently met one of the ladies involved in setting up the Palace Dollies in early 1969, they first appeared at the home game on 1st March.

Who else remembers them from home games over the next four seasons or so and does anybody know if any of them still watch Palace or has contact.

I have a list of about 20 names from 1969-71 and being the club's centenary year a reunion has been suggested
Old 28-02-2005, 11:34 PM

GloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I still remember them lining up as the teams came out. Palace shirts and white skirts, with white socks and shoes. They presented Bobby Charlton with a bouquet of flowers as he led MU out.

Also aon the final game of the season against Fulham when we came up. i remember them then as well.

Never knew any names though
Old 28-02-2005, 11:44 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
There is a picture here: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 28-02-2005, 11:57 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks Hedgehog. I've got that one and a few others from programmes of that time. Have gathered quite a bit of info about the setting up and running of the Dollies.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:02 AM

ammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for you
Ian,

Do you have the names of the 2 nearest in that photo?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I think Sue Head was their "leader" (Bert Head's wife)
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 01-03-2005, 11:55 AM

Sue Head (Bert's daughter) was in charge of the Palace Ladies Football Team a 'spin-off' from and seperate from The Dollies.

ammiller - Will check the photo, scratch my memory and reply later
Old 01-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
A mod! Cool, Danny Butterfield haircut.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Henfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by ammiller
Ian,

Do you have the names of the 2 nearest in that photo?
Sue Head was Bert's daughter and worked in the office at the club.
One of the Dollies was Irene Sampson,her friend was Sue Thornton who had a brother(Jim ?) or two that used to frequent the Holmesdale and some aways with all the usual suspects, warren,wright,Johnny Miles,Lionel,Ian ?? Blah blah
Another Dollie was Carol ?? from Upper Norwood,without doubt the best looker
Old 01-03-2005, 07:28 PM

Rob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses growRob Fox knows where the wild roses grow
I remember them drinking in my local, The Ship in South Norwood around that time.

I accidently knocked someone at the bar one night, I aplogised by saying 'sorry mate!', and then realised it was a Palace Dolly!!!!

'...Come On You EAGLES!!!!'

'Optimist Of The Year' Nominated by
Steve Stammers (Sunday Mirror)

http://www.robfox.info
Old 01-03-2005, 07:54 PM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Me and my mate had a big thing about Carol Baird - she's on one of the photos in Hedgehog's thread. Affections were so strong that I even took her to a reserve match without my mate knowing. I'll never forget walking round an almost deserted, spooky Selhurst summoning up the courage to smack her one.

Last edited by Granada allover; 02-03-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:25 PM

Where do I begin - Seems Carol Baird was a popular girl - add me to the list!

Irene Sampson (note that Henfield Eagle) is the Dolly in a pic that shows with her white 'briefs' saying 'Up the Palace'

The pic in Gallery shows John Sewell handing out/receiving a gift at the Fulham game. The pic comes from the programme for the friendly v Morton on 2nd May 1969. (This prog also has other pics taken at the end and afterwards).

The blonde girl in this pic (with the headband) is Sue King (no relation) who was Deputy Head Dolly but I am still working on the names of the next two shaking hands with John (inc the 'mod' girl). I think it is Shirley Saville who is half-obscured by Sewell's face who was the Chairman of the Ladies Section of the Supporters Club (with two others) got the Dollies 'off the ground'.

Behind John's shoulder are first Irene Sampson and then Shiela Smith who was the first Head Dolly (and then lived two roads away from me in Streatham)

Sue Head first started as Receptionist at SP and then became Bert's Secretary
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 PM

moverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmoverman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by ian king
[B I think it is Shirley Saville who is half-obscured by Sewell's face who was the Chairman of the Ladies Section of the Supporters Club (with two others) got the Dollies 'off the ground'.

[/B]
Not Shirley Johnson, Ian?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Janice and Lesley Bishop were also Dollies in the 1960's. Their dad, Bob Bishop, was a Director (and former player - Goal Keeper). I sat next to Janice for a few years after I joined the Vice President's Club in 1979 (the Burnley promotion year).

I last met Bob Bishop about 10 years ago at Lingfield Racecourse.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:08 PM

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
So how many of them are currently under 50? Time passes quickly doesn't it?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:17 PM

Mary Wilson (not Shirley) was Chairman of the newly formed Ladies Section, Chris Smith was Secretary and Shirley Saville was the Treasurer (misread my notes). Dollies had to be between the ages of 15 and 19 (so yes most (especially the first ones) would be over 50 now - like me)
Old 02-03-2005, 09:57 AM

Henfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHenfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by James
Janice and Lesley Bishop were also Dollies in the 1960's. Their dad, Bob Bishop, was a Director (and former player - Goal Keeper). I sat next to Janice for a few years after I joined the Vice President's Club in 1979 (the Burnley promotion year).

I last met Bob Bishop about 10 years ago at Lingfield Racecourse.
I remember the Bishop sisters,they lived in Shirley I think.
Carol Baird lived in Beauchamp road
Old 02-03-2005, 10:16 AM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Henfield Eagle
Carol Baird lived in Beauchamp road
Seeing as how we were all clearly cuckolded by THE Palace Dolly, the least we should know is - where is she now?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 PM

Carol aaah!! My 1970 diary has her house number and telephone number!!

It is Shirley Saville not Johnson. All Palace material (progs "Palace" etc.) says Shirley Saville. Unfortunately I understand she has now passed away.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ian king
Carol aaah!! My 1970 diary has her house number and telephone number!!

It is Shirley Saville not Johnson. All Palace material (progs "Palace" etc.) says Shirley Saville. Unfortunately I understand she has now passed away.
43 or 45 from memory???????????