Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 01-11-2020, 11:38 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
And thats why you have no friends.
It's perfectly fine - there is no weight on the neck. I am ridiculously protective of it, to the point of paranoia.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
And thats why you have no friends.
You drunk again this early?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:41 AM

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
It's perfectly fine - there is no weight on the neck. I am ridiculously protective of it, to the point of paranoia.
I was pulling your leg. It just looked as if you’d lobbed it on the sofa
Old 01-11-2020, 11:51 AM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Having seen Stella's gorgeous SC, so much nicer than a Gibbo SG. I thought I'd post my SG.

A lockdown boredom purchase, less than £50, comes complete with fret rattle despite raising the bridge and the most annoying piezo quack. Looks nice though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SG Uke.jpg (681.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-11-2020, 12:41 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
Having seen Stella's gorgeous SC, so much nicer than a Gibbo SG. I thought I'd post my SG.

A lockdown boredom purchase, less than £50, comes complete with fret rattle despite raising the bridge and the most annoying piezo quack. Looks nice though.
I'm trying to work out if that's an abomination or the most fantastic guitar I've ever seen.

The SG2000 is a very different kind of guitar to the Gibson SG. Thicker, heavier (I don't stand up to play it anymore) rich tones and insane sustain. Much more Les Paul, but way better than my '76 Custom, which is a piece of antique shit in comparison.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
I'm trying to work out if that's an abomination or the most fantastic guitar I've ever seen.

The SG2000 is a very different kind of guitar to the Gibson SG. Thicker, heavier (I don't stand up to play it anymore) rich tones and insane sustain. Much more Les Paul, but way better than my '76 Custom, which is a piece of antique shit in comparison.
Its a uke by the way.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:55 PM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
Nice picture of the SG2000 Stella, I have just got back into guitar playing after years and years where I didn't really find the time. I remember trying out a Yamaha SG2000 on sale in a guitar shop in Camden (? Rock Shop), was £439 which was a great price at the time (1980s) but still far more than I had, I remember it felt very heavy standing up. A lot of guitarists I liked at the time used one like Jake Burns from SLF, Stuart Adamson from Big Country and Steve Rothery from Marillion
Old 01-11-2020, 01:24 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling View Post
Nice picture of the SG2000 Stella, I have just got back into guitar playing after years and years where I didn't really find the time. I remember trying out a Yamaha SG2000 on sale in a guitar shop in Camden (? Rock Shop), was £439 which was a great price at the time (1980s) but still far more than I had, I remember it felt very heavy standing up. A lot of guitarists I liked at the time used one like Jake Burns from SLF, Stuart Adamson from Big Country and Steve Rothery from Marillion
For me, it's Santana and Bill Nelson. I thought Adamson played an SG500, like McGeoch? That was a decent price, even for the 80s.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:24 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Its a uke by the way.
Sorry for my error.

Junior is up for a new electric, now he's grown out of his Squire Strat. He mainly plays his decent Yamaha acoustic.
I was looking at the Gretsch G2622 Streamliner in Ocean Turquoise. Looks lovely. Seems good value at £379.00.
Any views?

Last edited by Stellavista; 01-11-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:26 PM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
Quote:
For me, it's Santana and Bill Nelson. I thought Adamson played an SG500, like McGeoch? That was a decent price, even for the 80s.
just looked it up and seems he may have progressed from the SG500 to the SG2000s
Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sorry for my error.

Junior is up for a new electric, now he's grown out of his Squire Strat. He mainly plays his decent Yamaha acoustic.
I was looking at the Gretsch G2622 Streamliner in Ocean Turquoise. Looks lovely. Seems good value at £379.00.
Any views?
No views but I quite fancy trying an arch top sometime. This might be worth a read before you decide.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 01-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Policy advisor to God

Quote:
Sorry for my error.

Any views?
The one above I showed is the g2655 very similar but smaller hollow chambers, same pickups. TBH I got it simply because it was smaller. There is also whether or not you want the Bigsby wobble bar they look great but whether its worth the agro is another question.
There's an enormous number of video's on youtube comparing these guitars.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:27 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
The one above I showed is the g2655 very similar but smaller hollow chambers, same pickups. TBH I got it simply because it was smaller. There is also whether or not you want the Bigsby wobble bar they look great but whether its worth the agro is another question.
There's an enormous number of video's on youtube comparing these guitars.
Cheers, Skint. Bigsby not a requirement. He may like the idea of a smaller model though.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:29 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
No views but I quite fancy trying an arch top sometime. This might be worth a read before you decide.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Thanks, Smoz. Good read. Will pass that onto him.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:52 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Quote:
Didn’t Bill Nelson play a 335?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:15 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
You drunk again this early?
See, no friends.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
See, no friends.
Er, yes. Right. Ok. Thanks then.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidster View Post
Didn’t Bill Nelson play a 335?
This was from Nelson:

Well, the Yamaha SGs were (and are,) great guitars. Yamaha still make them although the prices are much higher now than when they first came out...well over £2000 nowadays.
Stuart Adamson and John McGeogh, (of Magazine,) also took up the Yamaha SG, (due to my influence, apparently,) as well as the players you mentioned. And Carlos Santana was an early endorsee.

I got my first Yamaha SG during the latter part of the '70s, with Be Bop Deluxe. I'd had the Gibson re-finished and it changed it's response so I retired it and decided to try the Yamaha. A short period of adjusting to the different feel at first, then it started to sit nicely with my style.

I then got a second Yamaha in the '80s, an SG 2000S model, (the 'S' denoting it had coil taps and a slightly more deluxe finish,) which I played a lot, both live and in the studio.

I also had a Yamaha SG 1300 T, an all black beast with a great vibrato arm, which I later sold to Jon Wallinger when times got tough. I also had to part with my original SG2000 for the same cash strapped reasons, but managed to hang on to the dark green 2000S model, which I still have today. It needs some attention as it has got some playing wear and tear and needs a new pickup switch but the neck still plays really nicely. One of these days, I'll get it fixed up and use it again. It's an excellent guitar.

I don't know why you don't see many of them around these days, maybe the current prices are prohibitive and fashion certainly has a lot to do with it. Many of the current generation of guitarists are rather conservative in their tastes and go for the more obvious choices, Les Pauls, Strats, PRS and so on. Not that the Yamaha is an 'out there' guitar by any means...it's a quite sober looking instrument compared to some of the wild and wonderful guitar designs I favour!
Old 06-11-2020, 05:36 PM

Evening all. Some advice please.

I’ve just started a thread about watches. Bear with me. I have a ‘big’ birthday coming up and the wife and kids are badgering me to tell them what I want, or treat myself to more like.

On the thread about watches (that was a suggestion from the mrs) Skint happened to mention a new guitar as an alternative just as I had had the same thought.

So. I’m after some advice. I’ve played since I was 15 or so but very sporadically. I currently have a Yamaha acoustic and would class my self as a ‘campfire’ player i suppose but I’ve played more regularly over the last couple of years and loads since WFH in March. I can’t read music, play by ear and can play the vast majority of ‘standard’ chords.

So I’m thinking of treating myself to an electric. Budget of around £500. Any advice, help and details of good suppliers etc would be appreciated. Given the current environment it’s going to be difficult if not impossible to go and try any but I think I should probably wait to do so.

TIA for any help.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:58 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Take a look at the previous page of this thread, Pidster picked up a Danelectro (although you might prefer a 6 string version rather than the 12), while Skintagain posted one from the Gretsch Streamliner range. Both of these should comfortably come within your budget. Many of the Gretsch Streamliner range are semi acoustics, so you could play them unplugged until you get an amp for a future birthday present. Epiphone also have a good range in this price bracket which are well reviewed.

Speaking as a watch guy who occasionally plays guitar, you will get a lot more guitar for this budget than you would spending it on a watch.

Last edited by Smoz; 06-11-2020 at 06:10 PM.