Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-04-2020, 06:25 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
I loved him. Which was why it was so disappointing they way it turned at Palace. Ron getting Armstrong's mate in as a cheap option didn't help.

Wasn't that when we could have got Paul Stewart.

Simon Jordan made the same mistake when we went up with AJ.

Difference between then and now is there seemed to be plenty of half decent strikers available for a canny investment. Now everyone that scores a handful of goals in any European league starts at 10 million, and mostly much more than that. We are getting quoted 20 million for players that can't even make it in the current first teams. LOL

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 19-04-2020, 10:57 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
94/95 was a strange season for Armstrong, he came in with talk of 5m bids from Leeds & Everton and despite scoring on the opening day only scored once more in the league before Christmas yet scored in the cups for fun. I think his relationship broke down with the management, not helped by the way Smith hung Armstrong out to the press after the Watford FA cup replay.
As for the West Ham game - I always thought the fans had been patient with him so not entirely sure what triggered it, maybe sheer frustration. Houghton ran the show that day and set up the goal then went and celebrated with Dowie (from memory).
Also Newcastle with a big bid in January (was it £6M) which gets mentioned in commentary at the start of the Palace-Man Utd (kung fu ) game.

My recollection is the same as you - I thought Palace fans were very patient and supportive, hence me never understanding his reaction after that goal.

And yes, you are right, Houghton did 90% of the work to lead up to the winner against West Ham.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 19-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I loved him. Which was why it was so disappointing they way it turned at Palace. Ron getting Armstrong's mate in as a cheap option didn't help.

Wasn't that when we could have got Paul Stewart.
Andy Preece had a decent reputation in the lower leagues having been ina decent strike duo with Kevin Francis. Rarely showed that form at Palace unfortunately.

As for Paul Stewart, we all certainly wanted him signed permanently. That said, if memory serves (and I might be wrong on this) I think management were proved right to NOT buy him. He didn't seem to do much elsewhere after that loan spell with us.

Old 19-04-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You look at the quality the 94/95 team had, its crazy how we went down.
Never should have happened.

Internationals throughout the starting XI and two semi finals (and neither Cup run was what you'd call 'easy' like we had in 1990)

There was a lot of love for Alan Smith at that time but I think that relegation plus the desperate 2001 season shows he wasn't really that good of a manager.

Old 19-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
He was very good at bringing through young talent from the youth team, to reserves, and onto a professional career, even if not at Palace. In the late 80's he had a fantastic crop of a youth team, who went on to make it in the pro game.

Ok Gareth came through shining with admiration for him, and Andy Woodman ended up hating the guy, but he certainly prepared players for a career as footballers.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 19-04-2020, 04:05 PM
Welcome Mr Dyche

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Andy Preece had a decent reputation in the lower leagues having been ina decent strike duo with Kevin Francis. Rarely showed that form at Palace unfortunately.

As for Paul Stewart, we all certainly wanted him signed permanently. That said, if memory serves (and I might be wrong on this) I think management were proved right to NOT buy him. He didn't seem to do much elsewhere after that loan spell with us.
Preece came to the attention after scoring a stunner against QPR in the FA cup. We were originally watching Francis, and then I guess the friendship with Armstrong swung it (Coupled with the fact he was cheaper too).
I remember in the summer of 94' dreaming of a Kennett Anderson/Armstrong partnership, should never have believed that one.

RE: Paul Stewart - Smith even said the club were vindicated in not signing PS, and he ended up with further loan spells at Burnley and Sunderland.
BTW: Does anyone know who Armstrong's agent was?
Old 19-04-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I remember in the summer of 94' dreaming of a Kennett Anderson/Armstrong partnership, should never have believed that one.
Ha - I was already treating Anderson like he was part of our squad. Cheering every goal of his. Suddenly his £1.25M fee became £2.5M and priced us out of the market.

Turned out we got another WC94 goalscorer in the end....Ray Houghton!

Old 19-04-2020, 07:15 PM

Researching for the Armstrong agent and stumbled on this

To view the link you have to Register or Login

There's a line in there that say one Palace fanzine decsribed Armstrong as having 'single-handedly relegated Palace.'

Certainly wasn't One More Point!! Come on Palace Echo & Eastern Eagles - own up, which of you wrote that??

Old 19-04-2020, 07:34 PM
Welcome Mr Dyche

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Ha - I was already treating Anderson like he was part of our squad. Cheering every goal of his. Suddenly his £1.25M fee became £2.5M and priced us out of the market.

Turned out we got another WC94 goalscorer in the end....Ray Houghton!
Watching USA 94' at 3am and drooling at the prospect of Anderson playing up top. Sweden were a top team Martin Dahlin, Brolin & co were a joy to watch and were one of the teams to watch at the tournament. Anderson scored 5 and suddenly his stock went up and up. Within weeks we were then linked with Gordon Watson, back in for Paul Stewart and then Preece rocked up. It felt a little bit of an anti climax. This is what we could have had

Which fanzine did the Bill & Ben front cover replicating Armstrong smoke a joint as he wanted some weed

Houghton was a class act and hit the ground running. Think he made his debut at home to city and he just oozed class and is probably the sort of player we lack now.

The Independent article was an interesting read. People often forget Amrstong/Sheringham got more goals together in their first year than the Sheringham/Klinsmann partnership.
BTW: When the OMP book is done, if you do plan to sell it pre-match PM me Chris, i'll help you out.
Old 19-04-2020, 10:05 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Researching for the Armstrong agent and stumbled on this

To view the link you have to Register or Login

There's a line in there that say one Palace fanzine decsribed Armstrong as having 'single-handedly relegated Palace.'

Certainly wasn't One More Point!! Come on Palace Echo & Eastern Eagles - own up, which of you wrote that??
I think that was the sentiment among a lot of fans at the time. Scoring for fun in the Cups, drug ban that kept him out of crucial league games. If he had scored half the number of goal in the league as the previous season we would have stayed up.

Even Dowie was better than him for putting a shift in. Think Everton away.

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 20-04-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I think that was the sentiment among a lot of fans at the time. Scoring for fun in the Cups, drug ban that kept him out of crucial league games. If he had scored half the number of goal in the league as the previous season we would have stayed up.

Even Dowie was better than him for putting a shift in. Think Everton away.
Yup, Dowie absolutely gave his all. Just going through the Dowie era for the book this past couple of days.

He pledged allegiance to Palace straight after relegation, where many around him were demanding transfers. It was unfortunate how it ended, with Dowie claiming he'd earned the pay rise he;d been promised based on performance (which was true) but Ron agreeing with that but not being abe to pay him due to relegation. Both men had a point. Dowie left and we got 'Mr Substitute' Jeroen Boere

Old 20-04-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Watching USA 94' at 3am and drooling at the prospect of Anderson playing up top. Sweden were a top team Martin Dahlin, Brolin & co were a joy to watch and were one of the teams to watch at the tournament. Anderson scored 5 and suddenly his stock went up and up. Within weeks we were then linked with Gordon Watson, back in for Paul Stewart and then Preece rocked up. It felt a little bit of an anti climax. This is what we could have had

Which fanzine did the Bill & Ben front cover replicating Armstrong smoke a joint as he wanted some weed

Houghton was a class act and hit the ground running. Think he made his debut at home to city and he just oozed class and is probably the sort of player we lack now.

The Independent article was an interesting read. People often forget Amrstong/Sheringham got more goals together in their first year than the Sheringham/Klinsmann partnership.
BTW: When the OMP book is done, if you do plan to sell it pre-match PM me Chris, i'll help you out.
Armstrong/Sheringham is probably the most forgotten of all the decent strike double acts in the Premership.

Houghton was class all the way. By all accounts him and Dowie were a great influence in the dressing room

Selling pre-match is certainly part of the plan - I appreciate the offer of help, mate. I'll be in touch when the time comes

Old 21-04-2020, 01:42 PM

Paxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Selling pre-match is certainly part of the plan - I appreciate the offer of help, mate. I'll be in touch when the time comes
As someone who will definitely buy at least one copy, I guess the easiest thing might be to be able to pay online and then have somewhere to collect pre-match. Are you thinking of going down the route of having subscribers?
Old 22-04-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
As someone who will definitely buy at least one copy, I guess the easiest thing might be to be able to pay online and then have somewhere to collect pre-match. Are you thinking of going down the route of having subscribers?
Right now I am open to all suggestions/ideas.

Main concern is getting the book written right now but as I get nearer the end, I'll certainly spend time at looking at options.

Old 27-04-2020, 05:45 PM

1995-96. Any memories of the run in to the.....Claridge shin!

After a great run from Feb-April it ended in heartbreak but it was still a hell of a ride.

What do you remember specifically about the Millwall (4-1) game onwards?

Old 27-04-2020, 09:48 PM
Welcome Mr Dyche

Quote:

What do you remember specifically about the Millwall (4-1) game onwards?
Few days after Millwall we played Port Vale and threw away a two nil lead and ended up drawing the game?
Penultimate league fixture, we visited Derby away (promotion decider) and although Brown levelled early on we never really got going. We ended the league campaign at home to Norwich (Hopkin own goal?) and my main memory was an impromptu celebration at the back of the Holmesdale after hearing the news that Millwall (who sat top at Christmas) had been relegated. I can't remember the chant exactly but their were some unique words about their Russian loan signings. 95/96 was a strange season but we had some good entertainment.
Old 28-04-2020, 08:08 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
That was Dougie's first season. His goalscoring ability in those next two seasons was phenomenal. Just a mystery how he never went on to be a hit in the Premier League.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 28-04-2020, 08:26 AM
Not Tommy Robinson's Dad

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Looking forward to this Grim. If you do decide on online/advance payment then I'm in.
Old 28-04-2020, 08:57 AM

Palacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great to see you're cracking on with a book. I used to buy it as a kid (33 now... where the f**k does the time go!?) to read in the pub with a coke while my dad had a couple of pre match pints. I really enjoyed reading the one more pint feature looking forward to the day that I could go on Palace away days drinking copious amounts of beer and acting the fool with mates! Some of the older founding members of the HF were keen readers and there was probably a strong 'one more pint' influence in the way we used to drunkenly approach away days together as teens and young 20 somethings when the group first started out! There was definitely a fanzine influence in the way the original members of the group looked at the club and football in general.

I remember years ago I reached out to you and asked for some advice in regard to producing a fanzine for Reading Festival (This was back when festivals weren't so popular and Reading had a loyal rock and punk following). You kindly obliged, as well as giving me the details of the printer which you used for OMP, based in Carshalton I think?

I may have my fanzines mixed up, but did you guys once publish a brilliant X-Files parody piece where Muldy and Scully came to South London to investigate weird pitch markings appearing at Selhurst? This resulted in them wondering the pubs of the area and tapping up many a character for information as part of their investigation? Would have been circa 95-97? This was around the time the Palace bug really bit for me and OMP really helped me to grasp and understand the terrace culture at Palace, as well as the mix of both romance and cynicism towards football in general.

While my mates sat there at school with Match of the Day magazine, Four Four Two or the official Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U/(Insert glory hunted side) magazine conveniently purchased by their mums in WHSmith Epsom, I always had OMP at the ready purchased from a pub!

Last edited by Palacemad2002; 28-04-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 28-04-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palacemad2002 View Post
Great to see you're cracking on with a book. I used to buy it as a kid (33 now... where the f**k does the time go!?) to read in the pub with a coke while my dad had a couple of pre match pints. I really enjoyed reading the one more pint feature looking forward to the day that I could go on Palace away days drinking copious amounts of beer and acting the fool with mates! Some of the older founding members of the HF were keen readers and there was probably a strong 'one more pint' influence in the way we used to drunkenly approach away days together as teens and young 20 somethings when the group first started out! There was definitely a fanzine influence in the way the original members of the group looked at the club and football in general.

I remember years ago I reached out to you and asked for some advice in regard to producing a fanzine for Reading Festival (This was back when festivals weren't so popular and Reading had a loyal rock and punk following). You kindly obliged, as well as giving me the details of the printer which you used for OMP, based in Carshalton I think?

I may have my fanzines mixed up, but did you guys once publish a brilliant X-Files parody piece where Muldy and Scully came to South London to investigate weird pitch markings appearing at Selhurst? This resulted in them wondering the pubs of the area and tapping up many a character for information as part of their investigation? Would have been circa 95-97? This was around the time the Palace bug really bit for me and OMP really helped me to grasp and understand the terrace culture at Palace, as well as the mix of both romance and cynicism towards football in general.

While my mates sat there at school with Match of the Day magazine, Four Four Two or the official Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U/(Insert glory hunted side) magazine conveniently purchased by their mums in WHSmith Epsom, I always had OMP at the ready purchased from a pub!
Really appreciate this post, mate

Nice to read that I helped re the Reading festival stuff. I'd forgotten that although now you mention it I do recall giving out the printer's info.

It was Palace Echo that did the Mulder & Scully article but it did contain a friendly piss-take of me selling OMP and my 'market stall' way of selling on matchdays IIRC. All good banter.

One of the things that made me laugh is that some people thought OMP and Echo were at loggerheads but the reality was Selhurst had two fanzine editors (me and Neil the Eagle) in a crowd of 16000 and we sat next to each other! We were hardly enemies!

My regret is that when the fledgling HF reached out asking for an article for a mag they were doing it was at a time I'd drifted a little from Palace plus had a lot of stress going on (see the Guest House aggro thread I did on here 2004-06 to get a flavour of that time in my life!!) . The fanzine had stopped and that year in the Premier (04-05) with games being all-ticket killed a lot of my buzz and interest in Palace for a year or so. Wish I'd been a bit more forthcoming with that particular request - please accept my very late apologies!

I'm chuffed to know the fanzine culture passed onto the HF, just like OMP was happy to pass the torch with advice to get FYP off and running in 2003. It's funny how the influences pass along the line.

When I look back at the issues as a whole, you can see influences from 90 Minutes magazine and also Loaded by about 1995-96 (Echo used Loaded's 'graphics' idea right from Issue 1 - another example of Loaded's popularity at that time) , when I'd use their 'going on the pull in a town and reviewing the nightlife' reviews and did my own previews of Palace away games and advising where to drink etc.

Highlight of that was advising people of Hooters in Nottingham and on the day, even the travelling South London police (in the days when Simon Mountford was chief copper for Palace) made a point of popping in to check out the sights of that establishment