Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-02-2021, 12:13 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Was it also something to do with the Lincoln match being called off the second half up there due to ice and the match having to be replayed leading to a backlog of fixtures?
Old 11-02-2021, 02:51 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Was it also something to do with the Lincoln match being called off the second half up there due to ice and the match having to be replayed leading to a backlog of fixtures?
I went to the original Lincoln away fixture that season. Strange not just because of the abandonment with 29 minutes to go and Palace leading 1-0 (we lost the rearranged fixture 3-2) - the Palace goalscorer was Ricky Heppolette, the Indian midfielder, formerly of Preston and Orient, who left us for Chesterfield in February 1977, having only joined Palace from Orient in October 1976. That was Ricky’s only goal for us!

Apparently, Heppolette was Terry Venables first signing as Palace manager - I believe his midfield role was eventually taken by the veteran George Graham.

The other strange thing about the match - it was the first that I can remember being sponsored - by local firm Ross Frozen Foods. The ref abandoned the match due to frost forming in the pitch making the surface unsafe!

I notice Northampton also had their home match at home to eventual Champions Mansfield abandoned that same day (4th Dec 1976 - Palace beat Brighton in that infamous FA Cup 1st Round 2nd Replay on Monday 6th Dec) - so not sure how that affected the fixture list in the long run?

I noticed from reports that on the final day of the season, Ricky Heppolette was in the thick of the action for Chesterfield v Brighton, where he was reported as having several ‘clashes’ with Brighton players - Chesterfield drew 1-1, this result, coupled with Mansfield’s win at Wrexham, meant Brighton missed out on the 3rd Division Title, as well as Mansfield’s last minute goal sealing Palace’s promotion on the final day.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:42 PM

StevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The rule that all teams' final games in a division had to be played at the same time wasn't brought in for years after that.
Old 15-02-2021, 03:24 AM

philaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
I think that's the answer. Apart from a couple of exceptions, Northampton Town never played home matches in May while they shared The County Ground with Northamptonshire CCC. Their seasons invariably ended with their last match in April or with the last 2 or 3 games being played away. My guess is that the fixture computer (or whatever it was in those days) had Northampton Town v Crystal Palace on the final Saturday which would always have to be rescheduled before the season had even started.
I can confirm from my Rothmans that Northampton vs Palace was scheduled for that last round of the season.

My memories of the Wrexham game are somewhat different. The early edition of The News, Adelaide's (long defunct) evening paper, came out around lunchtime. I almost choked on my lunch, such was the excitement on reading that 4-2 scoreline. The following Saturday night (well, early Sunday morning), my ear was glued to my short-wave radio listening to BBC World Service for the Wrexham-Mansfield game. My heart skipped a beat late in the second half when the host suddenly stated "... and there's been a goal at Wrexham!" Imagine my sheer relief when it was Mansfield who had scored.
Old 15-02-2021, 03:33 AM

philaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Here's the visual of the 4th goal from Rothmans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harkouk2.jpg (1.53 MB, 34 views)

Last edited by philaire; 15-02-2021 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Better image