Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 18-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Chromebook thread

Any one else using one? I bought a Duet as a test to see if I can break away fully from Microsoft, but mainly Apple and so far so good. Only thing is the single USBc port. I bought a little hub for external stuff but it wont run power at the same time. Any advice on anything?

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 19-11-2020, 10:41 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
I bought a Chromebook a couple of years ago, it was the Acer 14" one with the flip over keyboard. Chose that because it purported to offer a Linux environment, but the Linux installation was quite slow and ran in a chroot jail so it was a bit finicky, and I found the Chrome OS quite horrible and it kept putting my stuff in the cloud somewhere without my knowing. Anyway it broke so I replaced it with an ordinary laptop of similar size and just ran Ubuntu on it.

These machines do seem to be pretty conservative as far as power is concerned so the battery lasts ages but it won't run much off a USB port and any kind of advanced graphics hardware is out of the question. Quite nice being able to use a USB C charger for everything instead of having a different plug for every device in the house.
Old 19-11-2020, 11:57 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Im "lucky" in that work went all google so I was forced to learn it. I found once the initial pain barrier was done I preferred it to a Microsoft environment. It did take some thought though on where to store as the default is the cloud. Soon worked out how to get the key files local as well as in the rest up god knows where. Biggest niggle is I have an iphone and itunes. So I have to go to the Mac for that. Would love to find away to see if I can break that but still be able to sync music with my phone.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 19-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Pills wont help you now

Davy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I love my chromebook mainly because there are no security issues. I've had mine for about 5 years now. It starts up very quickly and if you just want to surf and stream i thoroughly recommend it over a standard laptop and its a lot cheaper. Occasionally i need to write or edit a word document which i can by creating in or converting to google docs and converting back to Word, very clever. If you use Excel a lot then i wouldn't recommend it.

'What a divergence from that playoff shambles. Palace beating the Premier League Title Holders, whilst we lose 1-0 at Rotherham FFS. What a gulf.' from NSC 6/4/15
Old 19-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
I bought my father-in-law a Pixelbook Go to replace his ancient Acer. He seems to like it.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 19-11-2020, 08:12 PM

Now I have a dilemma in that I need a new laptop and a £500 budget, PC or Chromebook

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 09-12-2020, 01:40 PM
A Bit Ranty Today!

Scroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I bought a little 11" Acer Chromebook for home about five years ago, still has good battery life and boots up super quick. More than happy using Google Docs and you can export to Word and PDF for sharing if needed. Just a really lightweight handy bit of kit.

In the same period tablets have come and gone, and our main HP Windows laptop is virtually a brick as it's ground to a halt and the battery's died.

That said there's a new Windows laptop on order right now for big screen longer typing jobs, audio and image editing tasks.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroatey View Post
I bought a little 11" Acer Chromebook for home about five years ago, still has good battery life and boots up super quick. More than happy using Google Docs and you can export to Word and PDF for sharing if needed. Just a really lightweight handy bit of kit.

In the same period tablets have come and gone, and our main HP Windows laptop is virtually a brick as it's ground to a halt and the battery's died.

That said there's a new Windows laptop on order right now for big screen longer typing jobs, audio and image editing tasks.
What did you go for? There are a few downsides by having an app based chrome book. Whatís app for example wonít work unless I donít h e it on my phone. I do get sites that want ďdesktop onlyĒ itís not major but irritating. I have the duet so best of both laptop and tablet. I use an external keyboard but thatís another grumble the usb c port wonít let you charge and use with a mini hub it just doesnít charge. An extra port would be brilliant.

What pc did you get ? Iím looking for a 14Ē screen and want to edit, once a year, videos Photos etc. I also want to get rid of my dependency on iTunes and iPhoto and just use the iMac for surfing

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 10-12-2020, 10:12 PM
A Bit Ranty Today!

Scroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
What did you go for? There are a few downsides by having an app based chrome book. Whatís app for example wonít work unless I donít h e it on my phone. I do get sites that want ďdesktop onlyĒ itís not major but irritating. I have the duet so best of both laptop and tablet. I use an external keyboard but thatís another grumble the usb c port wonít let you charge and use with a mini hub it just doesnít charge. An extra port would be brilliant.

What pc did you get ? Iím looking for a 14Ē screen and want to edit, once a year, videos Photos etc. I also want to get rid of my dependency on iTunes and iPhoto and just use the iMac for surfing
With the Chromebook I tended to use the browser rather than 'apps' certainly preferred the look and feel of Twitter and WhatsApp for example.

After much deliberation I have gone with a Dell with an 11th Gen i7 processor. Supply issues with Argos, John Lewis and even manufacturers websites played a part in my choice. Might be worth waiting for better discounts to come round again in the New Year.