Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-11-2020, 08:31 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
When did you get into football and Palace?

I was late to the show. My Dad showed no interest. My uncle and a cousin enjoyed the Mal and Venables years, but never took me along. Oddly he insisted his 3 boys chose different teams..so the oldest chose Palace. He probably wanted to save on taking them to games.

Thus, I followed the wankers for a while. But my football interest was Pannini and listening to Scotland on the radio in 1978. Brockley County didn't play football as a school, so my ball experience was being bullied into goalkeeping while the bullies fired a rock hard ball at me in a penalty game on concrete in the playground. Between Chinese burns, slaps if you got good grades, British Bulldog, and neck and forehead slaps.

The Team of the Eighties, Forest, Villa and Ipswich more or less passed me by. Especially as I was moved to the coast after my parents divorced and my nan and mother sent to the funny farm.

I would say my first bit of real awareness and passing and disappointment was the 82 World Cup.

I returned to Croydon to my uncle's in New Addington in 1985, and Palace for me started there. I missed the good days, and the wilderness and grew with Sir Steve's building project. Wright and I may have made our debuts in the same game. LOL

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 22-11-2020, 08:54 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
My love affair with Palace was sealed a week shy of my ninth birthday when the son of a long standing family friend and his boyfriend took me to the FA Cup game against Chelsea. We lost 4-1 but with 49 000 in Selhurst Park the place just seemed magical to me. I even got the autographs of the Coventry team who came along to watch the game as their game against West Ham was called off and they were sat pitch side just in front of me.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 22-11-2020, 09:42 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I would say football in general came first. I must have been somewhere between 8 and 10 and they showed us Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt in the European Cup Final... the 7-3 one from 1960. It was on a reel to reel projector shown by the games master. I was hooked.

I don't recall anything about football prior to that. My Dad certainly didn't have any interest or inkling to kick a ball around with me.

My Gran lived on Long Lane in Croydon and during some visits you could see the floodlights on illuminating the sky. Got me curious and to realize how close CPFC was. I guess one thing lead to another and Palace became my team... although it was many years before I actually went to a game at Selhurst park.

In fact I became a regular to the Valley before ever going to SP as my best mate's Dad used to take us. Thank God I didn't get converted!
Old 22-11-2020, 09:49 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
If you were looking for years, I would say football circa 1964 and Palace circa 1966 (The World Cup and all that). First time to Selhurst Park Boxing Day 1968.
Old 22-11-2020, 09:58 PM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
My dad also had no interest in football but my mum was sporty and got him to take me to Palace 3 Southampton 1 in 1970. That was it really but funnily enough, yesterday I was trying to figure out the first result I could recall hearing (and having a reaction) I came to the conclusion it was 0-3 at Spurs except that was the score two years running. I am not sure which it was. I do remember being stunned that Kember and Birchenall went in ‘71 when 8.
Old 22-11-2020, 10:35 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
My dad was a palace fan, but didn't push Palace on me. I don't know why. I just decided to support my hero at the time who was Ian Rush, so followed Liverpool. I discovered Palace on my own, when I was 11, through a school mate. Fell in love instantly. Realised that my hero was just that, and Liverpool was just another team the other end of the country. Within two years, I was at villa Park. Watching what I thought was my hero ruin my clubs dreams. I was up that fence giving it to the scouser in ET. It was so natural following Palace, it was like I hadn't worn that replica Crown paints kit for the 86 Cup final. I felt so lucky supporting Palace and having three trips to Wembley inside 4 years of supporting them. I think I spent 20 years making up for it after though.

(my first game was in 1984 though, the only time my dad took me along, I was ill and loaded up with strepsils which put me off)
Old 22-11-2020, 10:42 PM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
I didn't start getting into playing football until I was 6 or 7. I was pretty crap at it, so whenever we played it for PE I'd generally hang around at the back, then if the ball came to me I'd race out with it diagonally to the touch line, presumably until the ball and I ran straight out, or I kicked it further ahead - probably the former! That's my earliest memory of playing. But then one summer holiday, I started practicing at home. We had a small orange plastic ball, about the size of a golf ball, which I just used to run up and down the hall with, and dribble around chairs. I did it for hours, every day. Then, as if by magic, when we went back to school I was a bit better at it.

With Palace, it would have been around 1974 when I was 7. My Mum and Dad had split up around that time, and although my Dad was a really good player (he told me he used to be on Fulham's books as a youngster) he never really talked to me about football. He was a Chelsea fan, but not enough to ever go and watch them play, nor enough to try and get me to support them. Some of the boys at school declared themselves Palace fans (it was close enough to qualify as a local team [Mitcham]) so I did too. Big Mal, sliding into Div.3 etc. That's when I got my first Palace kit of the red and blue stripes, blue shorts, blue socks with red and white trim. I was so pleased with it I wore it to bed, and got bobbles all over the shirt. I still have the shirt, and that time is why Peter Taylor is still one of my favourite 3 Palace players. I also absolutely loved the Umbro white sash with the collar. Just like you associate certain shirts with a certain player (eg the yellow/blue away Adidas shirt of 1997 is forever Lombardo's) so that white sash is, to me, forever Peter Taylor's.

As for results, I remember watching the score updates come through on the TV for the FA Cup SF against Southampton (the first time I cried at a football result, although I wasn't at the game.) I didn't start going to the games until the start of the 1980-81 season (a disastrous season); my first game was the 5-2 win over Middlesborough - Clive Allen hat-trick. It was my next door neighbour that used to take me to the games, although he was a Man Utd fan and had been all his life - I think perhaps that was influenced by the fact that Alex Stepney grew up in the street behind ours, so may have been mates with my neighbour. My second game was a couple of months later when we beat Leicester 2-1 with a penalty in the first half at the Whitehorse Lane end, where I was standing, before an excellent goal in the second half from Vince Hilaire, cutting in from the right wing. So I'd been to 2 games, and we'd won them both. After that it went downhill. 0-1 home defeats to Sunderland (Joe Hinnigan) and Leeds (Derek Parlane) are two games I remember, as we conceded very early and never looked like equalising. I also remember the 2-2 draw with Liverpool, when Ray Clemence broke Phil Thompson's collar bone.

Despite it being a crap season, I was more than hooked. I believe at the time we were the second worst team ever in Div.1 history in terms of points, and I think we were relegated either late March / early April, we were that bad. It would have been more difficult for me to deal with how bad we were, I think, if I'd been a couple of years older and been lucky enough to watch the team 1977-1980. But you need those really bad times to properly appreciate more the good ones, like we're going through now. It's why I laugh at some of the "worst ever blah blah" crap on here after we lose a game as an established team in the top division for the first time in our history.

Last edited by JJ; 22-11-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 22-11-2020, 11:04 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
My step mums uncle who wuth his wife brought her up from two years old. Basically I always call him Grandad and always Mum.
Took me to the home game against Derby at Selhurst first season in Division two back in 1963.
We had gone down to visit a friend of his a Mr Egan dont ask me his first name you had to show respect in those days. He lived of Holmesdale Road towards Selhurst Station. They brought me a rosette and a picture of the team black and white poster size. Fell in love with football and Palace despite the loss that day.
But one thing sticks in goal for Derby was Reg Matthews when we scored my Grandad telling me their goalie played for England once. Added to the hero worship of the goal.
Years latter Wembley 1990 all the games all the conversations all the laughter hit me as Abide with Me played he died a year ir so before tears rolled down my cheeks. He would of been so shocked but so proud we had got there and to me standing there in a strange way he was he was part of it maybe only in my heart or head but he was there.
Old 23-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
Especially as I was moved to the coast after my parents divorced and my nan and mother sent to the funny farm.
Seriously LOL at that one,why? I don`t know except I spat my tea out.
There are a lot of times now I look back and end up 60/40 why did I spend thousands of hours and even more thousands of pounds following Palace??Apart from a few highlights it`s been pretty much miserable since 75 especially around 85.
Old 23-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
There are a lot of times now I look back and end up 60/40 why did I spend thousands of hours and even more thousands of pounds following Palace??
Because deep down you know that one day we will be the best team in the world. Taking longer than I envisaged but we'll get there in the end!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 23-11-2020, 11:44 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I didn't start getting into playing football until I was 6 or 7. I was pretty crap at it, so whenever we played it for PE I'd generally hang around at the back, then if the ball came to me I'd race out with it diagonally to the touch line, presumably until the ball and I ran straight out, or I kicked it further ahead - probably the former! That's my earliest memory of playing. But then one summer holiday, I started practicing at home. We had a small orange plastic ball, about the size of a golf ball, which I just used to run up and down the hall with, and dribble around chairs. I did it for hours, every day. Then, as if by magic, when we went back to school I was a bit better at it.

With Palace, it would have been around 1974 when I was 7. My Mum and Dad had split up around that time, and although my Dad was a really good player (he told me he used to be on Fulham's books as a youngster) he never really talked to me about football. He was a Chelsea fan, but not enough to ever go and watch them play, nor enough to try and get me to support them. Some of the boys at school declared themselves Palace fans (it was close enough to qualify as a local team [Mitcham]) so I did too. Big Mal, sliding into Div.3 etc. That's when I got my first Palace kit of the red and blue stripes, blue shorts, blue socks with red and white trim. I was so pleased with it I wore it to bed, and got bobbles all over the shirt. I still have the shirt, and that time is why Peter Taylor is still one of my favourite 3 Palace players. I also absolutely loved the Umbro white sash with the collar. Just like you associate certain shirts with a certain player (eg the yellow/blue away Adidas shirt of 1997 is forever Lombardo's) so that white sash is, to me, forever Peter Taylor's.

As for results, I remember watching the score updates come through on the TV for the FA Cup SF against Southampton (the first time I cried at a football result, although I wasn't at the game.) I didn't start going to the games until the start of the 1980-81 season (a disastrous season); my first game was the 5-2 win over Middlesborough - Clive Allen hat-trick. It was my next door neighbour that used to take me to the games, although he was a Man Utd fan and had been all his life - I think perhaps that was influenced by the fact that Alex Stepney grew up in the street behind ours, so may have been mates with my neighbour. My second game was a couple of months later when we beat Leicester 2-1 with a penalty in the first half at the Whitehorse Lane end, where I was standing, before an excellent goal in the second half from Vince Hilaire, cutting in from the right wing. So I'd been to 2 games, and we'd won them both. After that it went downhill. 0-1 home defeats to Sunderland (Joe Hinnigan) and Leeds (Derek Parlane) are two games I remember, as we conceded very early and never looked like equalising. I also remember the 2-2 draw with Liverpool, when Ray Clemence broke Phil Thompson's collar bone.

Despite it being a crap season, I was more than hooked. I believe at the time we were the second worst team ever in Div.1 history in terms of points, and I think we were relegated either late March / early April, we were that bad. It would have been more difficult for me to deal with how bad we were, I think, if I'd been a couple of years older and been lucky enough to watch the team 1977-1980. But you need those really bad times to properly appreciate more the good ones, like we're going through now. It's why I laugh at some of the "worst ever blah blah" crap on here after we lose a game as an established team in the top division for the first time in our history.
We're a similar age but I was lucky enough that my dad started taking me in 74/75 so I have 'live' memories of that FA Cup run, the 76/77 promotion, the 2 Youth Cup wins, 78/79 & then the 1st season back in Div 1.

If you were already that committed by the time of the Southampton SF, it's almost criminal that you didn't get to go to Selhurst until that horrible 80/81 season. Was there no-one who could help you out? I appreciate you didn't realise at that age that such wonderful seasons would be somewhat irregular but did you feel that you were massively missing out?
Old 23-11-2020, 11:53 AM

Dr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDr. PerchKing sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Never been much into football. But have followed Palace closely since 1972��
Old 23-11-2020, 02:45 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
I will expand the earlier post whilst waiting for kick off.
As life progressed things were tough we did not have a lot of money. I hated school spent 5 years being bullied basically. With only a few friendships. Once I started work as an apprentice and earning going to Palace home games. It was there for the first time I felt a sense of belonging. I so use to crave those few hours escape warching us struggle in Division One. The final season of that first 4 years I would stay at my Grandparents on a Friday night and started travelling to away games a whole new experience. Some far flung town up North. Pink papers with football scores. Or gravy on chips. It became a ritual a form of escape the reason for weekends. Sure life girls women came around the same time but the ritual continued till marriage and mortgage and being broke. Following Palace brought me close to my Grandad and was a massive help those few hours those trips taught me life was fun.
Old 23-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Confession time - although I got into football from a very early age, I didn't become a Palace fan until I was 14.

As the youngest of three brothers - the eldest of whom is a big Arsenal fan - I can't ever remember not being into football. As a small child in the 1970s, I was bought my first football kit at around the age of 4 or 5. Replica kits weren't a big thing then, and it was simply a white top and black shorts. I asked what team is was and was told it was Spurs (which, of course, was wrong as they play in blue shorts - Derby or Fulham would have been more accurate). As a result, I became a Spurs fan. (For the record - the middle brother supported Leeds; mainly because he'd chosen the other team to our big brother for the 1972 Cup Final, even though he wasn't yet 4.)

I was quite the passionate armchair Tottenham fan in the late 70s and very early 80s - the team of Ardiles and Villa; Hoddle, Perryman, Archibald and Crooks. But even then, any live football I saw would be the occasions dad took us to Selhurst - I only went to White Hart Lane once, when he took us to see Leeds beat Spurs 2-1.

And then Spurs started chasing the money and sacked Keith Burkinshaw, and I suddenly went all 'against modern football' and took less interest for a season. The next season (1984-85) I decided I wanted to go and watch regularly. I decided North London was too far to go, so began going week in week out to Selhurst. Initially, I thought I'd still be a Spurs fan, but within a couple of games that was out of the window and I've been Palace ever since (I'm not sure why - that was the start of the Coppell reign and we were awful at the start of that season!)

So, it's true, I've done the terrible thing of changing team - but for the right reasons and in the right direction. (For the record - the Leeds supporting brother also switched to Palace.)

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 23-11-2020, 03:23 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
I started going in 1945 aged 7 and went to games in London when Palace played away so that I could watch players like Matthews. Lawton, Mercer etc . My dad was not into football with two left feet but as I was born in Grange Road it was not a difficult choice.

Might have started earlier but Adolph created difficulties.
Old 24-11-2020, 05:13 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
If you were already that committed by the time of the Southampton SF, it's almost criminal that you didn't get to go to Selhurst until that horrible 80/81 season. Was there no-one who could help you out? I appreciate you didn't realise at that age that such wonderful seasons would be somewhat irregular but did you feel that you were massively missing out?
I didn't know what I didn't know, and I genuinely don't remember thinking I felt like I was missing out. I don't even remember asking my Mum if I could go to the games.
Old 24-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I didn't know what I didn't know, and I genuinely don't remember thinking I felt like I was missing out. I don't even remember asking my Mum if I could go to the games.
Old 29-12-2020, 08:09 PM

Jim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJim Bhoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I first started supporting Palace in November 1977 when my Uncle and my Dad took me to Selhurst to see us lose to Spurs in their brief one season stay in the old 2nd Division. Spurs had Peter Taylor playing for them and a young Glenn Hoddle.

My uncle was a season ticket holder in the seats at the back of the Arthur Waite. My Dad was a lapsed Man Utd fan. He had also tried to persuade me to support Arsenal due to the fact that they had 7 Irish players playing for them at the end of the 1970's. Whilst Liam Brady remains one of my all time favourite footballers, I have always hated Arsenal with a passion so Dad's plan obviously didn't work.

My first away game was Orient away in 1979 which we watched from the home end. John Jackson in goal for Orient and Swindlehurst scoring the winner. This was the 2nd last game of the season just before the famous Burnley game with the 51k crowd. My eldest son's first game was also against Spurs in the 2-0 win in the FA cup in 2019.

As far as I'm concerned it is wrong if you let your kids support a different team to the one you support. I used to hate seeing Palace fans bring their kids to Premier league games with their son wearing Chelsea or Man Utd tops. My boys will have no choice, if I've had to suffer being a Palace fan for the last 43 years, then they'll have to learn to live with constant disappointment. Hopefully one day they will see them win a major trophy in their lifetime.
Old 29-12-2020, 08:20 PM

Spiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
First game was April 1961, Palace 1 York City 0. Both my dad and Grandad followed Palace, Grandad took me to this game, just before I joined my dad in Cyprus where he was stationed
Old 29-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Granddad was a Peterborough supporter but they moved to Croydon when my dad was around 5. 1910,my granddad took my dad to watch Arsenal first but my Dad started going up the Palace on his own and that became his team,he took me to Selhurst park when I was a round 6 or 7 in 65/66 and that was that never had an interest in any other team. We were always into football with the Purley way playing fields just outside our front door on Waddon way in Waddon.I was John Jackson and then John McCormick until I had a trial over Shirley children's home ..I ran up the wing beat two players crossed the ball right on my mates head and he nodded in...Cam off chuffed and John McCormick came over and said .....You run funny get that sorted out...