Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:33 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Mesh wifi - recommendations please

I've recently moved into a new house with solid breeze block walls throughout and am having trouble with getting a wifi signal in parts of the house and into the home office I have in my garden.

I've been looking at Mesh wifi and, in particular, the TP-link Deco m5 and m9 triple units:-

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Any thoughts about either of these, or alternatives please.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:39 PM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
we bought the TP-Link E4 a couple of weeks back (triple pack). We recently did a garage conversion to office and needed to extend the coverage. 2 weeks in and it's been excellent. Good coverage, strong performance, no drop outs. Annoyed we didn't buy one earlier. We paid about £100 for ours, these seem like upgrades so should be even better
Old 09-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by st albans View Post
we bought the TP-Link E4 a couple of weeks back (triple pack). We recently did a garage conversion to office and needed to extend the coverage. 2 weeks in and it's been excellent. Good coverage, strong performance, no drop outs. Annoyed we didn't buy one earlier. We paid about £100 for ours, these seem like upgrades so should be even better
Thanks for that, good to know it works well for you.

I've also been looking at other recommendations and found this:-

which seems to be faster etc.

Now £400+ does seem like a huge price to pay (though I said that when looking at the coffee machines thread this orning!), but if it's next gen wifi 6, it might be worth investing in; thoughts?
Old 09-11-2020, 02:29 PM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
I set up different WAPs in the bad reception areas to the house. They work really well but need wires, so these mesh solutions are interesting if a bit late to be of use to me.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:38 PM

lewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlewisuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Got these myself

Not cheap but extremely good and Wi-Fi 6 so future proofing (as much as you can)
2 boxes cover the whole house and 100ft garden including the garage

Old 09-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Flinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFlinty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I've got a Netgear Orbi set up, which has worked well for me over the last year and a bit. I've got this one:
I can get wifi reception at the bottom of a 100' garden with it.
I know they've just brought out a wifi 6 compatible system too but its pretty pricy.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:13 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
The BT system works perfectly for me. And they keep sending you mesh discs until it works perfectly.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 10-11-2020, 09:32 AM

griggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegriggs : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I bought a set of TP Link M9s having installed some for a friend and heard nothing but positive reviews. This is in a very modern, open living style place with plenty of glass rather than internal brick walls.

Sadly despite them having a claim to cover four times the square footage, solid walls have meant that they struggle in my house so I had to buy an individual M5 to cover the gap as M9s are not sold individually. Great coverage in the garden but indoors a pain. The cable supplied is also very short, so if you want to put them somewhere discrete you may struggle. To really get the best out of them you will want to connect them with an ethernet backhaul, which kind of defeats the point of building a wireless network. However, they are very easy to set up and manage and a recent firmware has finally brought WPA2/3.

I guess most of my gripes come from the fact that the technology probably isn't fit for a Victorian house.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Lead Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
The BT system works perfectly for me. And they keep sending you mesh discs until it works perfectly.
Do you have to be a BT customer for that to work though? (that seems to be their claim on their adverts)

As a Sky customer, I can buy a set of BT Mesh disks online and then add to them, to increase coverage, buy at my cost not BTs.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:03 AM
This

Galo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have the google mesh, all works fine, simple to use. Its not wifi 6 but when wifi 5 allows for 3.5 Gbps and the state of this county's broadband I should be good for the next decade. If you want to splurge then get the Netgear Orbi 6.

Last edited by Galo; 10-11-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:25 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
I went with Google's offering. Not the cheapest, but easy to set up, control other stuff ( Hue lights, SONOS etc ) and you can play music through the hubs.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:37 AM

Crunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The best systems without a doubt are Ubiquiti AP's. You do not lose any speed via ethernet cable but you can lose speed on mesh systems. It also depends on the shape of your home. You also have a cloud key meaning you can see the operation of your home , which access point is using what, ie kids on Playstations etc) and so can the installer remotely (if you allow them) to see the operation working perfectly and fix any problems remotely). We install them all the time.

It is also the main way hotels use their wifi (and charge you), you can even cap each access point to a speed cap, so you dont have anyone maxing out your speeds

Last edited by Crunchie; 10-11-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:17 PM

MAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Used Google WiFi since it first came out. Has been absolutely superb.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:23 AM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
I set up different WAPs in the bad reception areas to the house. They work really well but need wires, so these mesh solutions are interesting if a bit late to be of use to me.
You’ll be better off in the long run with those wireless AP’s connected like that.

UniFi AP’s by any chance?
Old 12-11-2020, 04:00 PM
Mutant Algorithm

Shoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is here
I was recommended the Nova ones from Amazon. Piece of cake to set up and work perfectly.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:10 PM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've just had a new FTTP service installed with a Linksys main unit wired to the router. Thinking about adding nodes, but I want to test what sort of reception I'm getting.

I can't find anywhere anything that tells me whether the various 'Internet speed tests' are just testing my connection from modem to Internet, or if in effect they are testing device - via WiFi - modem - Internet (which is effectively what I want to know).

I understand I can click ALT/Wifi icon (Mac) to see tx rate and RSSI, but the RSSI given seems to suggest a near useless connection, while roughly timing the download of a 110MB file tells me a different story ... and raises the question of whether I really need any further nodes.

Question is: is my rough and ready download test reasonably valid? What do each of these different measures actually tell me (that is different from the other measures)?
Old 06-03-2021, 02:19 PM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
OK - perhaps I've answered my own question. But I'll leave it here in case it's useful for anyone else or if there's anything to add.

Where I'm sitting right now, across a room and a half and down a floor from the WiFi node (not particularly a problem spot, and no other current active users on the system):

Speedtest: 66Mbs down; 32Mbs up.
110MB file: 12s, ie 73Mbs download (got to be very imprecise of course)
RSSI: -66dBm
tx - 54 Mbs

Upstairs bedroom (furthest possible from master node) where it has historically been a bit poor.

Speedtest: 45Mbs down 18Mbs up
110Mb file: 26s, ie 34Mbs
RSSI: -73dBm
tx: 59 Mbs

I guess if my son were on the XBOX all these numbers would be halved?

Last edited by Away; 06-03-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:57 PM

speagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
OK - perhaps I've answered my own question. But I'll leave it here in case it's useful for anyone else or if there's anything to add.

Where I'm sitting right now, across a room and a half and down a floor from the WiFi node (not particularly a problem spot, and no other current active users on the system):

tx - 54 Mbs

Upstairs bedroom (furthest possible from master node) where it has historically been a bit poor.

If you use android I find this one good. Can measure speeds on the internal network.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:38 PM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
I was debating wether to go with this system for my bar at the bottom of the garden instead I opted for some armoured cat 5e cable with a WiFi access point one end and into my router the other. It works a treat.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:21 PM

topper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post

tx - 54 Mbs

The bold figures wouldn't be affected by the XBOX being on or not.
they are wireless connection specific figures, rather than details regarding the file transfer. NB a dBm (decibel) figure that's closer to 0 the better.
this shortcut will describe the acronyms here and also gives some english (ie non technical) explanations of the levels observed...

With FTTP I'd be expecting faster transfer speeds, and similar upload to download. Maybe the figures you've got are related to that particular transfer rather than overall performance.

It would be good to compare those to the stats that appear on your edge device. you should be able to get download/upload speeds from the mainpage.

Things to bear in mind are WiFi speeds can be affected by a large number of things that people have in the house. Things like wireless phones, microwaves, televisions, baby monitors, etc will all cause interference ultimately affecting transfer speeds and giving unstable connectivity.

simplistically, the higher up in the house the Access Point (AP) can be installed the better. A favourite place for the Router/AP is behind the television. this is good if you've wired the TV (or sky box) into the router but not so good with wifi.

Other things to bear in mind are neighbours with badly configured wifi networks.