Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham and Penge
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
I was there (Wimbledon v Leeds) standing in the Holmesdale, good night.
I was there standing in the Whitehorse - good night, but scary to start with. We were in front of a lot of hardcore Leeds in the upper terrace. When Wimbledon almost scored in the first minute, they surged forward to see, and we all got crushed against the wall. I look back on it and realise that if that wall had collapsed, dozens (at least) would have died.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:54 AM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Granada allover
Fort Neef? Ya betcha. Born in Langdale Road, moved to Galpins Road, then on to Birdhurst Gardens in South Croydon.

believe it or not Granada I grew up on Langdale.lived on the corner of Wiltshire.small world.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:06 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Saw It's a Knockout at Selhurst once. Anita Harris played a belter, banged one in off her wart.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:23 PM

Alf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterAlf Noakes worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitter
Back in the late 50s or early 60s George Smith the manager wanted to spot local talent. He invited school kids under 13 or 14 to play on the hallowed turf. Arthur Proudler (What a midfielder he was) took the group with me and my mate Pete. We played on the pitch, changed in the dressing rooms and had a great time - but just not quite good enough to be picked!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:31 PM

ammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally posted by Chocky
Saw It's a Knockout at Selhurst once. Anita Harris played a belter, banged one in off her wart.
Chockster,

I remember that It's a knockout.

I spent most of the afternoon going into the New Stand enclosure where the steps lead up to he seats so I could look up all the women's dresses.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:49 PM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Re: Re: School matches at Selhurst Park

Quote:
Originally posted by big bad John
yes the croydon primary cup final was always played at Palace. I played for the winterbourne team that won the league in 1970, unfortunately we got knocked out of the cup by Monks Hill.Played at Selhurst Park in 72 for Norbury Manor against Ashburton.I was in goal and had a nightmare in a 6-3 defeat.I was dreading reading the match report the next week in the Adveriser , but the reporter must have been at another game cos he mentioned the outstanding goalkeeping by both keepers.there was over a 1,000 in the Old Stand and their was a bit of a melee between the two schools.
apart from the games already mentioned, I remember Walton and Hersham playing a cup game against someone, and Pompey playing Orient in a cup replay .huge support for Pompey.the internationals I think were infact under 23.I ended up at Selhurst Grammar as well granada.
Hello John, how you keeping? We didnt get knocked out by Monks Hill, we were cheated out by Monks Hill!

I played in the Churchill tournament for the last 3 years. MR Gooders red card rage this year was the highlight!

Last edited by Archiebald Leitch; 09-10-2003 at 04:51 PM.
Old 15-10-2003, 12:18 PM
SHUT IT SLAG

Location: We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner
Jack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've played at Selhurst Park too.

For Clifton Arms XI against Palace groundstaff. Only thing I can remember about it was that the pitch was very uneven. Played on better pitches at Purley Way.
Old 16-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by firesign
I saw Croydon play Millwall in the FA Cup at SP once (late 70s?). Drew a crowd of about 10,000 I think - Millwall won 3-0.

I can confirm that I was there but Millwall won the replay 3-0.

At SP it was 1-1- Nicky Chatterton scored the Millwall equaliser.
Old 17-10-2003, 11:00 AM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Regan
I've played at Selhurst Park too. For Clifton Arms XI against Palace groundstaff. Only thing I can remember about it was that the pitch was very uneven. Played on better pitches at Purley Way.
This reminds me... and it's a question for the 60's anoraks.

Am I right in recalling there was a visible ridge in the pitch (near the penalty area, Whitehorse Road end) which was only evened out in the mid-60's?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Johnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada allover
Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?
Only just seen this thread.

Played for Winterbourne in the 1977 Croydon schools cup final, we lost 3-0 to Castle Hill.

Funnily enough, 35 years later (almost to the day) I'll be making my second appearance tomorrow on the hallowed turf in the Fit Fans match. Hoping for more rain so I can score and celebrate with a Kuqi swan dive!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Strictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrictly Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I palyed for Palace Guard in 1981 when we won 3-1 in a cup final at Selhurst.

My life was complete at that point as I scored a goal at each end. I have attached the evidence of my goal at the Holmesdale End.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Palace Guard '81.jpg (474.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Must have been hard playing in black and white
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM

Mike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada allover
I'm still curious as to whether there is anyone on the boards who has played competitively at Selhurst (Croydon Schools Cup and the like) - and even scored there.
Don't know if this counts but tomorrow (behind semi closed doors) the CPFC Fit Fans are having a mini and very competitive tournament at Selhurst. I shall get to fulfill one of my dreams and play on the hallowed turf.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Old School Palace

Pistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Douglas
Don't know if this counts but tomorrow (behind semi closed doors) the CPFC Fit Fans are having a mini and very competitive tournament at Selhurst. I shall get to fulfill one of my dreams and play on the hallowed turf.
Hallowed...........they rip it up every few years, I have piles older
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Can you imagine the sky commentators making some reference to South Londoners enjoying their day out - cut to a 40 year old in full Palace kit dribbling whilst a mexican wave flies past.
http://www.fishfight.net
http://www.fsf.org.uk/

ST Holder:Block D: Lower Homesdale
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Johnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Douglas
Yes, it counts

I'll be there too!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Aching Arms

LONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is here
I played in an end of season game for Palace Guards, 1977 - always remember using the Palace dressing rooms (back in the day they were in the middle of the Main (Old) Stand) and seeing a list of players with names with bookings and suspensions with a points total for each booking - somebody had written in Harkouk and Silkman 4pts - Counterfeiting Foreign Money!

I've seen loads of friendlies, testimonials and 'neutral' cup replays - I think Palace are unique because we held the only ever FA Cup Play Off (For 3rd and 4th place!) in 1972 when Everton played Stoke - I've seen Peter Taylor play twice for the England U23 side (which back in the 1970's was the version of the current U21 system - but you occasionaly got to see a couple of older players - England U23's played Portugal and the old Checkoslovakia and Taylor scored in both games - delighting the thousands of Palace regulars who turned up for both games.

For those that don't know, Selhurst Park has staged a Full England International - way back in 1925 only a year after the ground opened - England played Wales on St Davids's Day that year and the Welsh won 3-1 (!).

in 1948 there were a couple of Olympic Games football matches at SP and Millwall had to play Newcastle in Div Two at Selhurst Park after one of their many ground closures because of crowd trouble at the Old Den back in the early 1950's!

I've also seen an U21 European Championship tie between Italy and Yugoslavia at SP in the early 1980's.

I saw this in an old Palace programme collection from 1967/68 the other day too - the programme is dated Saturday 16th March 1968 - FA Amateur Cup Semi Final:

A very glum looking Dario at Centre Half for Sutton there - perhaps he was having a premonition of his time under Big Ron as Palace manager some 13 years later, which he still hasn't got over!
Sutton lost to Leytonstone in this match too!
P.S. To Granada and Big John - I know this an old thread, but I've just seen it - hello (ex) neighbours! I'm from a corner near your old manor (the clue is in my username) opposite the Esso.

Visit http://achingarms.co.uk/

Last edited by LONDONMAN; 02-05-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Has anyone mentioned the Women's FA Cup Final being played at Selhurst (more than once, I think)?

Personally, the only non-Palace game I've seen at Selhurst was Wimbledon v Middlesbrough in the mid-2000s (my then girlfriend was a Boro fan).

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk

Last edited by stevek; 02-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ruptured my achilles tendon playing on Selhurst Park in May 2001. 13 weeks in plaster. Match was arranged by CMO and was about 25-a-side! Two Seat has a video shot by my old man.

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Keenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to Ollie
Primary Cup

Played at Selhurst Park in 1963 Primary Cup final for Whitehorse as we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONMAN

I saw this in an old Palace programme collection from 1967/68 the other day too - the programme is dated Saturday 16th March 1968 - FA Amateur Cup Semi Final:
Blimey, the ref came all the way from Leeds. That would never happen these days.

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.