Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 28-07-2021, 06:09 PM

palacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE View Post
If your PC is relatively new, then it should have a TPM. I have an Intel i5 6600K and that has a TPM built into the processor -- you just have to enable it in the BIOS. This is what I did.

What processor/motherboard do you have?

My PC technically isn't compatible (because of the age of the processor) but I used a workaround to install Windows 11 on it and it works perfectly well. I reckon that as they allow more processors to be tested they'll broaden the spec for it.
My pc is dated about 2013 so 8 years old
intel core i7 - 4770 - CPU
nvidia gforce GTX 760 ( 192 BIT )
This is my motherboard To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by palacelad197o; 28-07-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 30-07-2021, 03:40 AM

palacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Well for those that can't upgrade the clock is ticking till 2025 when windows 10 will pretty much be useless
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 31-07-2021, 12:17 PM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacelad197o View Post
Well for those that can't upgrade the clock is ticking till 2025 when windows 10 will pretty much be useless
Yep, my i7-4790 from 2014 wont run Windows 11, it seems like the cut of date is CPUs from around 2015/2016 so was pretty close. It still runs well and will happily keep Windows 10 for next few years and then build a new one when Windows 11 is pretty stable/or 12 if its around the corner

Old 01-08-2021, 03:43 AM

speagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Microsoft has changed hugely in recent years. Rather than keep new tech and charge a fortune for it and try to crush developers that compete they have gone open source mad!! Create a product and allow users to develop it, Buy and support developers creating new programs and nurture it, not crush them.

Developers are all people centric now, getting rid of the control freak lone wolves. Its a radical change and Microsoft a seeing the benefits with much more user and developer friendly software.
Buying github and windows subsystem for Linux also shows thier intent. Supporting free tools like vscode too. Certainly a shift in recent years.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:54 PM
Setting sail.

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Windows 11.

Is it any good?
Old 01-08-2021, 07:03 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagle View Post
Buying github and windows subsystem for Linux also shows thier intent. Supporting free tools like vscode too. Certainly a shift in recent years.
Yep.

Embrace open source, get people with passion contributing to your product and invested in your own ecosystem. Lot more people familiar and happy with Microsoft owned products in 20 years.

Then come the cloud and they will want azure first and foremost. Good for them and devs
Old 01-08-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Windows 11.

Is it any good?
Beta version out now anyone tried it ?
Old 01-08-2021, 07:20 PM

speagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowspeagle will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Yep.

Embrace open source, get people with passion contributing to your product and invested in your own ecosystem. Lot more people familiar and happy with Microsoft owned products in 20 years.

Then come the cloud and they will want azure first and foremost. Good for them and devs
Company I work for are decommissioning onsite data center and also the mirror backup data centre. Not huge like some I've seen, but about the size of a tennis court. that's still a lot of kit that doesn't need maintaining, powering and cooling. They picked azure over aws. Not close enough to know the costs but it's a fair chunk going in Microsoft's pocket each month. Mind you, you don't want a network outage!
Old 01-08-2021, 07:22 PM
16K Ram Pack

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
They are generating billions in software revenue under the guise of protecting your security.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:25 PM

Old 01-08-2021, 07:36 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagle View Post
Company I work for are decommissioning onsite data center and also the mirror backup data centre. Not huge like some I've seen, but about the size of a tennis court. that's still a lot of kit that doesn't need maintaining, powering and cooling. They picked azure over aws. Not close enough to know the costs but it's a fair chunk going in Microsoft's pocket each month. Mind you, you don't want a network outage!
Yep. Cloud computing really is win win for big companies. You get the biggest and best and while I'm sure it isn't cheap you don't have to pay for the insane equipment/maintenance costs needed for the same capability.

Microsoft have realised that in a big way and whilst aws is currently bigger, most companies are heavily invested in Microsoft already and they can offer seamless transition etc.

Satya Nadella has gambled that developer/collaboration focused, open source and cloud technology is the future. Looks to be a genius move and that's why I'm optimistic windows 11 will be good. Microsoft are people centric and listening
Old 27-08-2021, 03:20 PM

Old 29-08-2021, 03:07 PM

Microsoft has just announced that any PC can install the Windows 11 ISO, opening up the new OS to just about anyone who wants to install it

Old 29-08-2021, 04:19 PM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Microsoft has just announced that any PC can install the Windows 11 ISO, opening up the new OS to just about anyone who wants to install it

Going to still pass. Looks like it rules out lots of us already with Windows 10. Not going to buy a fresh 11 just for this (images of Windows ME/Vista/Windows 8 floating before me)

Quote:
However, the firm told The Verge that it would only enforce restrictions when upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11—a fresh installation with a Windows 11 ISO would have no such restrictions.
Old 29-08-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1905 View Post
Going to still pass. Looks like it rules out lots of us already with Windows 10. Not going to buy a fresh 11 just for this (images of Windows ME/Vista/Windows 8 floating before me)
Not sure i am reading it right are they saying you cant upgrade from 10 to 11 but if you do a fresh install you can ?
Old 29-08-2021, 08:46 PM

Microsoft also saying that anyone using this method is unlikely to get any future updates or security patches.
Old 30-08-2021, 05:26 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
I took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 11.

Absolutely no problems so far - and it seems so much faster. Programmes load quicker. No dramatic changes, but I like the new look and feel.

Windows 11 Pro, 64 bit. AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super.
Old 30-08-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 11.

Absolutely no problems so far - and it seems so much faster. Programmes load quicker. No dramatic changes, but I like the new look and feel.

Windows 11 Pro, 64 bit. AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super.
Are you on the development version ?

Also did your pc have the Tpm chip ?
Old 30-08-2021, 08:44 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Are you on the development version ?

Also did your pc have the Tpm chip ?
Windows 11 Insider Preview version - 10.0.22000.160 and yes it does.

I had to enable TPM in BIOS before I could install Windows 11.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:20 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Just managed to get Win 11 Pro Upgrade installed on a machine that didn't meet the standards for TPM, CPU, or secure boot. I tried the Win 10 reg hacks but didn't work but managed by removing the appraiserres.dll from the downloaded Win 11 ISO. It won't let you delete it anyway fom the download files but a program called 'AnyBurn' will will copy the files without the offending compatability dll file onto a new drive.

The copied Win 11 installs with a warning but loaded quite quick and has kept all my files and programs. Now to see what works and what doesn't.