Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 05-02-2021, 03:25 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login
More in line with your great videos....

Old 05-02-2021, 03:55 PM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Would have to go 3-4-3 there I think, Gray and Sansom flanking GT in the back three!

The 'great snow' of February 1991 is still a vivid memory. I inadvertently made myself unpopular at work by turning up only to find the building virtually empty. I was told to turn around and go home. However, my entry was recorded via the swipe-in card and as such everyone in my team had to book a day's leave rather than in be treated as a freebie 'snow day' - apparently the convention if the whole team was unable to get in to the office due to the inclement weather. No-one had bothered to tell me but I got some stick about it. Remnants of the snow were still around the side of the pitch when we did eventually play again on 16 February.

As for Wright's England debut, as others have said a massive event for Palace fans. We should remember that he was 27 by this time so no spring chicken, and it was hard to see how he would break in to become an England regular, especially with a certain Alan Shearer starting to make headlines at Southampton. He needed to start his England career with a bang, much as Lineker had done on his debut, but it never really happened for him. But what a feeling for Wright himself and for those close to him at the club including Coppell of course and his partner in crime Mark Bright.
Yes an absolutely dire 0-0 at Home against QPR followed, two stark memories stick in my mind from that game, the snow seemingly piled up about 4 foot high around the whole perimeter of the pitch, and QPR's what seemed at the time rather vivid Bright Orange kit.

Looking at the picture below, in this day and age you would almost say that wearing their White and Blue Hoops would have probably been better in that instance.

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 05-02-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:48 AM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I mocked this up a while back of all our players that have received England caps while Palace players.

Great attacking options but a little light on defenders. What does that say about us as a club?

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:31 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner View Post
Great attacking options but a little light on defenders. What does that say about us as a club?
Partly that most of our international central defenders were Welsh (Ian Evans, Jeff Hopkins, Eric Young, Chris Coleman, Kit Symons, Danny Gabbidon - have I forgotten anyone?)

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 06-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I almost don't count Andros in this, given he was England-ready when he joined us, which leads to the interesting stat that the other ten were all made into England players by Palace.

If you focus on the ten, it also means that HALF of all the England players in the history of Palace used to be in the same starting XI. What a team the 1990-91 one was!
Old 06-02-2021, 11:02 AM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Partly that most of our international central defenders were Welsh (Ian Evans, Jeff Hopkins, Eric Young, Chris Coleman, Kit Symons, Danny Gabbidon - have I forgotten anyone?)
Not a central defender, but Paul Bodin.

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:15 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Did Terry Boyle win a full cap while he was at Palace?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:31 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Did Terry Boyle win a full cap while he was at Palace?
Yes, i'm almost certain he was.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 06-02-2021, 11:34 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
I almost don't count Andros in this, given he was England-ready when he joined us, which leads to the interesting stat that the other ten were all made into England players by Palace.

If you focus on the ten, it also means that HALF of all the England players in the history of Palace used to be in the same starting XI. What a team the 1990-91 one was!
I always think it's amazing we started the 87/88 Division 2 campaign with four future England players: Gray, Wright, Salako and Thomas. Not many, if any, second tier sides can boast that.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:32 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Who's bottom right in that England line-up? I've gone completely blank.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:34 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Who's bottom right in that England line-up? I've gone completely blank.
That's Johnny Byrne, no?
Old 08-02-2021, 10:37 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Yes, of course. That explains why I didn't recognize him.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:48 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
I always think it's amazing we started the 87/88 Division 2 campaign with four future England players: Gray, Wright, Salako and Thomas. Not many, if any, second tier sides can boast that.
This got me thinking, and googling, and the Manchester City squad of that season also contained four future England internationals (Andy Hinchciffe, Paul Warhurst, Paul Stewart and David White).

Funny that two of them later played for us!

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:12 AM

... although Warhurst never played for them.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
This got me thinking, and googling, and the Manchester City squad of that season also contained four future England internationals (Andy Hinchciffe, Paul Warhurst, Paul Stewart and David White).

Funny that two of them later played for us!
Good shout steve. Got me thinking too...

What about Aston Villa's 2nd Div team of 1987/88? Think they had Martin Keown, David Platt, Andy Gray and Tony Daley that season.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:23 AM

... that Villa team also had Mark Walters (who scored a hat-trick against us).
Old 08-02-2021, 12:27 PM
Borderline lunacy

1988-89 Chelsea squad had Tony Dorigo, Graeme Le Saux, Graham Roberts and Kerry Dixon. Roberts was (I think) an ex-England international rather than a future one.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
1988-89 Chelsea squad had Tony Dorigo, Graeme Le Saux, Graham Roberts and Kerry Dixon. Roberts was (I think) an ex-England international rather than a future one.
And Dixon an ex too.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:43 PM

Here's a good related pub quiz question. Which 4 England internationals played for Manchester United in their 1974/75 promotion team?
Old 08-02-2021, 12:43 PM
Borderline lunacy

I suspect the West Ham squad of 1979-80 win for past, current or future - Phil Parkes; Alvin Martin, Alan Devonshire, Frank Lampard Sr, Trevor Brooking and Stuart Pearson.