Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Here's a good related pub quiz question. Which 4 England internationals played for Manchester United in their 1974/75 promotion team?
I will try Coppell, Greenhoff, Hill and Pearson.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:35 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
That's 3. Gordon Hill didn't sign until the following Summer.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:46 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Did Terry Boyle win a full cap while he was at Palace?
Yes he won 2 caps in Feb and May 1981. In the first against the Republic of Ireland he started and scored in the 3-1 victory. In the second, against Scotland, he came off the bench in the 2-0 victory.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:32 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I suspect the West Ham squad of 1979-80 win for past, current or future - Phil Parkes; Alvin Martin, Alan Devonshire, Frank Lampard Sr, Trevor Brooking and Stuart Pearson.
This team was amazing. Won the FA Cup although bizarrely didn't get out of the division until the following season, during which time they reached the League Cup semi final and Euro Cup Winners Cup Final as well.

Also had Scottish international Ray Stewart at RB as well.

Gotta be the best 2nd tier team of all time.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:49 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
This team was amazing. Won the FA Cup although bizarrely didn't get out of the division until the following season, during which time they reached the League Cup semi final and Euro Cup Winners Cup Final as well.

Point of order - they only got to the quarter finals of the Cup Winners Cup, where they got rinsed by an outstanding Dynamo Tbilisi team - back in the days when mysterious 'crack' outfits from behind the Iron Curtain could pop out of nowhere to teach one of our clubs a footballing lesson. Tbilisi also knocked Liverpool out of the European Cup around the same era if I recall - probably the year Villa won it.

Looking at the West Ham 'squad' for that promotion season, it's a perfect illustration of how football has changed. Basically they used only 12 players to any great extent in the entire league season although bizarrely only the goalie Phil Parkes was an ever-present. Our own Paul Brush was the 13th most used player with just 11 league appearances (3 as sub). Paul Allen, the season after his cup final heroics, started just one league game and came on as sub in two others. The strike duo (another relic of a bygone age) of Paul Goddard and David Cross smashed in 55 goals between them in all competitions, good old Trevor Brooking weighed in with 10 league goals.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:

Billy Bonds got as far as being an unused sub for England as well.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 08-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
That's 3. Gordon Hill didn't sign until the following Summer.
How about Alex Stepney? One cap back in 1968 just before the European Cup Final. Supposedly Sir Alf thought it would be a good idea for Alex to play at Wembley before the United-Benfica match.

Also became United's regular penalty taker at the start of their relegation season - think he was still their top scorer by November.

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:46 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Future England international. A wee bit of lateral thinking required.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I gave up and cheated but I won't spoil it for others. Good question.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:13 AM
Senior member & moaner

Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Ah - well the post didn't mention that!

I won't spoil it, but his son also played for England.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:40 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Point of order - they only got to the quarter finals of the Cup Winners Cup, where they got rinsed by an outstanding Dynamo Tbilisi team - back in the days when mysterious 'crack' outfits from behind the Iron Curtain could pop out of nowhere to teach one of our clubs a footballing lesson. Tbilisi also knocked Liverpool out of the European Cup around the same era if I recall - probably the year Villa won it.
Dinamo Tblisi sounded like a team of robot soliders. They had a name that scared me!

Much like when I was worried for Frank Bruno a few years later when he was fighting a guy called 'Bonecrusher' Smith, who inflicted Bruno's first loss! Ha ha.

Good correction on the QF - I even listened to that 2nd leg game after school (was teatime British time when it was played) on Radio 2 and over the years I've always thought it was SF, but you're right.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Yup, had to cheat but what a great question. I had no idea.

Just scrolled down the team list from that season and saw a name and thought 'no, it can't be!'
Old 09-02-2021, 10:48 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
This is wrong i know but Peter Beardsley?

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 09-02-2021, 11:00 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I gave up and cheated but I won't spoil it for others. Good question.
I've cheated too. Very clever.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 09-02-2021, 11:16 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I've cheated too. Very clever.
And me. Well played Elwiss!

Quote:
Dinamo Tblisi sounded like a team of robot soliders. They had a name that scared me!

Much like when I was worried for Frank Bruno a few years later when he was fighting a guy called 'Bonecrusher' Smith, who inflicted Bruno's first loss! Ha ha.

Good correction on the QF - I even listened to that 2nd leg game after school (was teatime British time when it was played) on Radio 2 and over the years I've always thought it was SF, but you're right.
As a kid, I used to listen to British teams playing in Europe via a crackly radio while having a bath. It sounded like Bryon Butler & Peter Jones were on the moon when they commentated from such places. Dinamo Tbilisi, Carl-Zeiss Jena, Red Star Belgrade. Hell, even Anderlecht seemed mysterious & exotic.

The other thing I remember listening to on the radio in the bath in those days was a weekly 2 hr Beatles special on Radio Laser 558, broadcasting from somewhere in the North Sea.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:

As a kid, I used to listen to British teams playing in Europe via a crackly radio while having a bath. It sounded like Bryon Butler & Peter Jones were on the moon when they commentated from such places. Dinamo Tbilisi, Carl-Zeiss Jena, Red Star Belgrade. Hell, even Anderlecht seemed mysterious & exotic.

The other thing I remember listening to on the radio in the bath in those days was a weekly 2 hr Beatles special on Radio Laser 558, broadcasting from somewhere in the North Sea.
Yes happy memories. The Eastern Bloc fans seemed to specialise in that relentless foghorn drone over and above the noise of the crowd itself. Used to love that sound emanating from the crackly medium wave reception, seemed intimidating to me even tucked up in bed with a cup of cocoa and I could barely imagine what it was like to play in that atmosphere.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:13 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I gave up and googled too. Glad I did, I would never have got it.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 09-02-2021, 02:32 PM

Although Palace had no game in the week ending 9 February due to the big freeze, the charts of course ploughed on relentlessly. New entries into the top ten were:

(I Wanna Give You) Devotion by Nomad featuring MC Mikee Freedom - a nightclub classic of the time, incorporating a catchy rap which you could mime to on the dancefloor while trying to 'impress' a potential conquest. Happy times...it worked sometimes.

Only You by Praise - I have just viewed this on YouTube (TOTP performance) and I am still none the wiser, never heard it before in my life. Anyway it's rubbish, some new age hippy wailing over the top of a trance-lite track.

What Do I Have To Do by Kylie Minogue - Kylie was in a strange no-mans land at this stage of her career, the initial flush of her SAW-powered rise to stardom had gone and she was stuck in a rut of churning out formulaic pop which verged on the easy listening at times. This was a typical lightweight effort which scored only moderate success, getting to number 6.

Play That Funky Music by Vanilla Ice - the follow up to number 1 smash Ice Ice Baby, this adaptation was less catchy and it struggled to number 10 as the Iceman quickly sunk back into obscurity.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:41 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:

Bizarrely they only broadcast the second half from memory.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Senior member & moaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
Bizarrely they only broadcast the second half from memory.
For League games, the Football League would not even allow the BBC to inform the public what game was being broadcast on a Saturday until 3pm, or broadcast the 1st half, in case it affected the attendance at other League games. Same argument used by the football authorities about live tv games at 3pm Saturday, until now...

I can't recall when midweek European games began to be covered from kick-off, but am sure I remember tuning in to find out Forest were 0-2 down to Cologne in 78/79 at half-time. Suppose they were worried that Liverpool away to some Eastern Bloc / Warsaw Pact outfit would affect the attendance on a cold Wednesday night for Workington v Barrow (especially as latter was a local derby).