Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old Today, 05:15 PM

hulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Is he? Yet to really do anything impressive in the premier league.
What are you expecting him to do above what he is achieving with Villa? Making very steady progress and his signings are decent. On top of that he did very well at Brentford and started the ball rolling there. He’s a decent manager. Would like to hear your views on anything that suggests the contrary.
Old Today, 05:27 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkster View Post
What are you expecting him to do above what he is achieving with Villa? Making very steady progress and his signings are decent. On top of that he did very well at Brentford and started the ball rolling there. He’s a decent manager. Would like to hear your views on anything that suggests the contrary.
Exactly, he’s made ‘steady’ progress at Villa. Underachieved last season, roughly where they should be this season. That doesn’t scream “very decent” to me, more mediocre-average.

As for Brentford, I think it’s just pretty easy for managers to succeed there with their backroom set up. Which is why I wouldn’t go near Thomas Frank yet. Smith didn’t really ‘start the ball rolling’ either, that’d be Mark Warbuton (if there’s not someone before him I’m forgetting).

Last edited by CP-RJW; Today at 05:31 PM.
Old Today, 05:31 PM

aashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaashman12 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Is he? Yet to really do anything impressive in the premier league.
How about putting 7 past the current champions
Old Today, 05:33 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashman12 View Post
How about putting 7 past the current champions
I’m not exactly impressed by one off matches, particularly freak ones like that. If I was, I’d love Scott Parker here after how Fulham did at Anfield.
Old Today, 05:36 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin View Post
Yep the brown paper bag Allardyce era is over. What we need is a manager who'se thinking is generally in line with DF and SP. Something Roy patently hasn't been. I mean he might chuck his toys out of the pram ala Pulis, BFS, FDB but we'll have to see.
So why has Parish retained him for 4 seasons then? .....he knew there was something he had meant to do but it just slipped his mind maybe, ?

I suspect that Roy has done exactly what SP wants which is kept us in the Premier League for 4 seasons after the awful FDB appointment and have been the only club in the PL to make a profit on transfer business. And he is such an old school professional that he doesn't bleat about the lack of money like every other Manager these days. Instead he takes the flak for the way the squad plays. A squad that by very definition they don't think is good enough because they are about to swap somewhere between 5 and 12 players.

I would say that has suited SP very well and that's why Roy has been here and has been the perfect foil for a period of low spending and minimal fixing of the pay levels. Nothing has stopped us from swapping out expensive players over the past two years and adjusting the wage bill that they have always known is high. DF can't be too disappointed because he has made what has been some completely underwhelming DOF business over that same 4 years look OK by working together with this squad and keeping us comfortably safe every season.

There is nothing wrong with that but painting a scenario that implies that Roy is out of step somehow is heaping more s*** on the guy and he deserves better than that. It's pretty clear that he is leaving and the s*** campaign can stop now surely.
Old Today, 05:42 PM

BillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is here
This guy has done an outstanding job in French football:

L’Équipe reaffirm on Sunday that Ligue 1 side OGC Nice are in pole position to, in a shock turn of events, hire French coach Christophe Galtier from title-challenging Lille this summer, despite him having another 12 months left on his current deal.

INEOS have been searching for a new coach since the firing of Patrick Vieira in November. Les Aiglons are willing to double Galtier’s current €180k a month gross salary and the ex-St Étienne boss feels that he is unlikely to succeed in getting more out of his current charges at Lille than he was able to this season.
Old Today, 05:44 PM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
So why has Parish retained him for 4 seasons then? .....he knew there was something he had meant to do but it just slipped his mind maybe, ?

I suspect that Roy has done exactly what SP wants which is kept us in the Premier League for 4 seasons after the awful FDB appointment and have been the only club in the PL to make a profit on transfer business. And he is such an old school professional that he doesn't bleat about the lack of money like every other Manager these days. Instead he takes the flak for the way the squad plays. A squad that by very definition they don't think is good enough because they are about to swap somewhere between 5 and 12 players.

I would say that has suited SP very well and that's why Roy has been here and has been the perfect foil for a period of low spending and minimal fixing of the pay levels. Nothing has stopped us from swapping out expensive players over the past two years and adjusting the wage bill that they have always known is high. DF can't be too disappointed because he has made what has been some completely underwhelming DOF business over that same 4 years look OK by working together with this squad and keeping us comfortably safe every season.

There is nothing wrong with that but painting a scenario that implies that Roy is out of step somehow is heaping more s*** on the guy and he deserves better than that. It's pretty clear that he is leaving and the s*** campaign can stop now surely.
So why are the club binning all his favourites and not renewing him..... That tells you he's out of step with the club. I'd suggest if Roy had been more receptive over the last two seasons to certain players he was offered and given he'd probably still be manager next season.

The club were looking to get rid of him last year. He'd actually instructed his agent to find him a new role. Then Covid happened. Covid has kept Roy in a job a season longer than he would have otherwise been afforded.

I think Roy has been great for this club. Always wanted to finish out the season and if he'd been supported properly in 2017/18 things may have panned out very differently. But everything he's been doing over the last two seasons has been slow managed decline. We've been getting worse in many metrics and his flaws are obvious to anybody.

Last edited by red&blue_moomin; Today at 05:54 PM.
Old Today, 05:55 PM

hulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Exactly, he’s made ‘steady’ progress at Villa. Underachieved last season, roughly where they should be this season. That doesn’t scream “very decent” to me, more mediocre-average.

As for Brentford, I think it’s just pretty easy for managers to succeed there with their backroom set up. Which is why I wouldn’t go near Thomas Frank yet. Smith didn’t really ‘start the ball rolling’ either, that’d be Mark Warbuton (if there’s not someone before him I’m forgetting).
How did he under achieve? He kept the team that he brought up into the division up. This season he has vastly improved their fortunes. I think you’re trying to pick an argument again over something that just hasn’t got any grounds for debate. He’s a good manager doing a good job and not going to get sacked for John Terry any time soon.
Old Today, 05:58 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel