Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 17-10-2021, 01:44 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Looking at the trailer for that Beatles film that Peter Jackson has produced, how great would it be if that Man U 5-0 game could get that treatment?
Old 19-10-2021, 01:55 PM
Ball Gazer has been.

N : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Home v Charlton I'm sure I recognised that Millwall fan with the ginger hair and glasses from there documentary main stand near the start..
Old 14-11-2021, 01:28 AM

Stats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If anyone missed it Palace v Man City (Nov 1980) was on the Big Match Revisited on Saturday morning on ITV4. It’s the feature game before Villa v Arsenal and Utd v Southampton. Doesn’t get a mention on the info bar/programme details. So it’s easy to miss.
Old 14-11-2021, 02:22 PM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats74 View Post
If anyone missed it Palace v Man City (Nov 1980) was on the Big Match Revisited on Saturday morning on ITV4. It’s the feature game before Villa v Arsenal and Utd v Southampton. Doesn’t get a mention on the info bar/programme details. So it’s easy to miss.
Thanks for that heads up Stats!
History will say that we were crap that season.

But, I think we could go through each game and, playing a lot of "what ifs", we could have got out of trouble earlier. Maybe we wouldn't have had so many changes of manager and we may just have stayed up.

You may say I'm a dreamer....
Old 14-11-2021, 03:01 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltron View Post
Thanks for that heads up Stats!
History will say that we were crap that season.

But, I think we could go through each game and, playing a lot of "what ifs", we could have got out of trouble earlier. Maybe we wouldn't have had so many changes of manager and we may just have stayed up.

You may say I'm a dreamer....
Blimey, that’s a lot of ‘What If?s’. We finished 16 points from safety & it was only 2 points for a win in those days. I was only 11 & I knew we were down in January!
Old 15-11-2021, 06:13 PM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I promise you - leave it with me and I will apply enough "what ifs" to turn our season around.
Old 15-11-2021, 06:17 PM

Man City's 2nd goal had a hand-ball in it that VAR would have chalked off.
We would have gone into the last few minutes 2-1 up - and would have no doubt, seen the game out.

That's 2 points to us, and 2 points off Man City.

As I say, leave it with me - I will rescue our 80-91 season.
Old 15-11-2021, 06:33 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
We would have gone into the last few minutes 2-1 up - and would have no doubt, seen the game out.

Fantastic! Am really looking forward to reading how we were the moral League Champions in 80-81
Old 15-11-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Coventry away & Allen’s stanchion goal - that’s another easy 2 point gain…
Old 15-11-2021, 06:39 PM

Bizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats74 View Post
My first game
Old 15-11-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
My first game
Your first game - and we concede in 13 seconds!!!!
Old 15-11-2021, 09:17 PM

Bizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Your first game - and we concede in 13 seconds!!!!
It all went wrong after I started going to games, took us about 5 years to recover!
Old 07-01-2022, 07:21 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Well I've moved on to the early part of the 1980/81 season now, and next up for me was a show from September 1980.

The featured game was Arsenal vs Nottingham Forest, in truth hardly a thriller with Arsenal securing a 1-0 win. A few points of Palace interest though. As Brian Moore explained, it was Kenny Sansom's first Arsenal appearance in front of the ITV cameras and he put in a typically assured and buccaneering display, marauding forward regularly and linking well with Graham Rix on the left. In fact he should have scored after playing a 1-2 on the edge of the box but then poking just wide as Shilton rushed out to block. Due to an injury to Pat Jennings George Wood played in goal for Arsenal. Forest did not have a meaningful shot on target though throughout the extensive highlights so other than dealing with a couple of crosses and whatnot there was no real opportunity to assess Wood's credentials. It ended badly for him at Palace of course but he was actually a good servant for us through that transition period from Mullery to Coppell.

Finally, who should be refereeing the game but our old friend from the 1990 cup final Allan Gunn. He had his moment of controversy too, allowing the winning goal from a shot that fairly clearly did not cross the line even allowing for the more limited replays and camera angles in those days. Peter Shilton was not happy about it after the game so perhaps it was for the best. As an aside Steve Gatting played and was said to have been selected ahead of David Price, who would of course join us later in the season to form the dynamic 'pathetic shark' midfield alongside Brian Bason.

Next we moved on to Roker Park for Sunderland against Leeds in front of an absolutely jammed in crowd, one of those ones you used to get when the wide angle camera shots of the terrace show the crowd swaying around in waves like a wheat field in the breeze. Sunderland had started the season really well following promotion the previous year, briefly topping the nascent league table as we had done the year before. They ran out easy 4-1 winners here in front of a delirious crowd against an ageing Leeds side which was starting its slide towards second division mediocrity. A few of the old legends were still there but clearly past their best - Eddie Gray, Trevor Cherry - and another had just taken over as manager in Allan Clarke.

From a Palace perspective we had two future managers on the pitch. Sam Allardyce played football as he managed - ugly but effective - and he clogged away merrily in the Sunderland defence. On the other team we had Paul Hart, a much more cultured defender who found himself pushed up as an auxiliary striker as Leeds chased a game which was running away from them. The Sunderland ranks also included Stan Cummins who had a busy game, he always looked a good player for them and I was excited when he signed for us a few year later only to be underwhelmed by his contribution.

Finally on this game the last Sunderland goal was scored by their centre forward Alan Brown. This is the second time I have seen him play - and score - in these 'revisited' programmes and both times he's had an absolutely awesome game. He looks like the complete centre-forward - powerful and physical but also mobile, a good touch on the deck and a calm finisher. His goal in this game was a lovely first time finish into the bottom corner from the edge of the box after latching on to a through ball. I had no recollection of this guy from my football following at the time so I looked him up - could he have been one of the England greats whose career was cruelly cut short in its prime? It seems not, he was only 21 at the time of this game so must have been seen as promising but his goal tally for Sunderland was a less than prolific 23 in 103 games. He went on loan to Newcastle in 1981 which must have been an interesting experience but he did well there with 3 in 5. After that though his career faded away with spells at Shrewsbury (where he probably scored against us) and Doncaster before he did in fact have to retire early due to injury at the age at 26. He does share the same birthday as me though so there you go.

The final game was from the Hawthorns, where WBA came back from a goal down to beat Kevin Keegan's Southampton 2-1. The most interesting thing about this game was the weird camera angle, we were watching the action from a low pitchside position roughly in line with the edge of one of the penalty areas. Therefore any goalmouth action at the other end of the pitch gave you that authentic 'what the hell is going on down there' experience of standing on the Holmesdale unless the cameraman used his zoom facility.

Saints had a really attacking team in those days, somehow squeezing Keegan, Charlie George, Mick Channon AND the prolific Phil Boyer into the starting line-up. It looked like a kind of 4-2-1-3 formation with Keegan floating around behind the front three in which Channon played as an orthodox right-winger. A lot of work for the midfield duo of Nick Holmes and Graham Baker to get through.

Last edited by Bipe; 07-01-2022 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 24-01-2022, 06:57 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
1976/77 starts today (ITV4 17.55 - times vary slightly)

Br*ght*n's 1-1 'victory' over us at the Gallstone at the start of October features tomorrow 17.50.

This was of course the season it all kicked off. We played the weeds 5 times (including the 3 cup games) that season. The weeds won precisely none

Our promotion season, so hopefully we will feature quite a bit.
Old 24-01-2022, 08:29 PM

Carlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
1976/77 starts today (ITV4 17.55 - times vary slightly)

Br*ght*n's 1-1 'victory' over us at the Gallstone at the start of October features tomorrow 17.50.

This was of course the season it all kicked off. We played the weeds 5 times (including the 3 cup games) that season. The weeds won precisely none

Our promotion season, so hopefully we will feature quite a bit.
Thanks for prompt
Old 26-01-2022, 02:20 PM
Staaaaaagggg

strawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is here
Just watched the 1976 Brighton v Palace game on ITV4 (started about 1230), including both managers discussing the match afterwards in the studio with Brian Moore.
Big crowd for Div 3.
Long before I knew anything about football, muddy shorts, jumpers for goalposts, passing back to the keeper, refs in black, capacity crowd all standing, tackles in the box allowed to just happen...
Old 26-01-2022, 03:05 PM

Spiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is hereSpiderman Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry mivi View Post
Just watched the 1976 Brighton v Palace game on ITV4 (started about 1230), including both managers discussing the match afterwards in the studio with Brian Moore.
Big crowd for Div 3.
Long before I knew anything about football, muddy shorts, jumpers for goalposts, passing back to the keeper, refs in black, capacity crowd all standing, tackles in the box allowed to just happen...
Interesting that Alex Stock criticised Southampton tackling, same side that kicked us out of the semi final.
Venables and Mullery seemed chummy
Old 26-01-2022, 03:47 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Dal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was at that match with my Dad. Stood in the North Stand with all the Weeds. I was proudly wearing a massive badge that read 'Kings of the League - Crystal Palace', which gained quite a lot of attention at the time.

I was 5.

"You won't be listening anyway - you'll be picking your bum or listening to Pulp...'

"Use a plate! I've hoovered in here today, you cock!"

"Don't be a Gay all your life!"

"Does that mean our children will have monkey's skulls?"

"I don't want to inhale your urine!"

"Have you farted into a sponge or something?"

"You absolute pretentious ballsack!"

"You're a hairy, gay, Special Needs tramp!"

"Oh Google your own fat, flabby arse!"
Old 26-01-2022, 03:51 PM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal View Post
I was at that match with my Dad. Stood in the North Stand with all the Weeds. I was proudly wearing a massive badge that read 'Kings of the League - Crystal Palace', which gained quite a lot of attention at the time.

I was 5.
Nice one You were in the safer place, I remember dodging the stones thrown at us.
Old 27-01-2022, 09:48 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry mivi View Post
Big crowd for Div 3.
But watching that whole edition of TBMR it was evident that one thing hadn't changed at all. The commentator in one of the other matches was Martin Tyler.

And 46 years later, he's still going strong. Think about that. It's quite a remarkable fact.