Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-09-2021, 08:48 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Seeing as we’re talking about Suckling, one of my happiest memories of him was after our promotion win in 89 against Blackburn. After the long happy celebrations in the stadium, we finally made our way back home towards Thornton Heath, dancing along in our Palace tops and cheering people tooting their horns in celebration at us. This must’ve happened about six or seven times when again another Palace fan drove past and hooted their horn and we turned to salute them and to our shock, there was Suckling driving the car with his wife in the passenger seat both waving back at us. I think they got a thrill out of the shock and sudden realisation on our faces as they both were laughing their heads off. Nice memory.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 20-09-2021, 06:53 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Good story Bubbs, I always liked Perry and felt bad for how things went so badly wrong in his career after that night at Anfield.

It was a busy week on the music front albeit a pretty unproductive one for the connoisseurs. New entries into the top ten for week ending 21 September:

Love To Hate You by Erasure - This was one of their last hurrahs as top ten troubling act, after several years of consistent hit-making. A pedestrian affair built around the I Will Survive melody.

Don't Cry by Guns N' Roses - A pretty limp ballad, not in the same league as their epic Sweet Child O' Mine.

Peace by Sabrina Johnson - I think this was the 'peace in the valley' one...a harmless enough club staple at the time which has now faded into obscurity.

What Can You Do For Me by Utah Saints - The pick of this week's bunch in my book, Utah Saints always came up with something worth listening to. This was actually their debut hit and they became best known for the follow up Something Good which heavily sampled from Kate Bush. Anyway they were an interesting dance / DJ act.
Old 20-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Peace by Sabrina Johnson - I think this was the 'peace in the valley' one...a harmless enough club staple at the time which has now faded into obscurity.
Visited a nightclub for the first time ever at the end of Sept 91 - this blaring out (along with Rozalla's Everybody's Free) is the song I remember most. Will never fade into obscurity in my house!

Alexa - play Sabrina Johnson!
Old 20-09-2021, 09:01 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Seeing as we’re talking about Suckling, one of my happiest memories of him was after our promotion win in 89 against Blackburn. After the long happy celebrations in the stadium, we finally made our way back home towards Thornton Heath, dancing along in our Palace tops and cheering people tooting their horns in celebration at us. This must’ve happened about six or seven times when again another Palace fan drove past and hooted their horn and we turned to salute them and to our shock, there was Suckling driving the car with his wife in the passenger seat both waving back at us. I think they got a thrill out of the shock and sudden realisation on our faces as they both were laughing their heads off. Nice memory.
Good week for the Sucklings. Perry and his very attractive missus were in the Croydon Advertiser having just become parents at Mayday Hospital. Maybe those all nighters doing the bottle feeds caused Perry to be half asleep when lining up in goal for the 0-9, 0-3, 0-5, 1-3, 4-3 etc.
Old 21-09-2021, 05:52 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
OLDHAM 2 Marshall. Holden
PALACE 3 Salako. Wright. Bright

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 21-09-2021, 06:23 PM

Sodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wright's last game? Vaguely remember sitting in a lecture at Brigton Uni studying the table, looking at the game in hand and upcoming games, comparing teams and expecting a top 5 finish end of season...

I used to kill time by writing out my London 11 and squad of 22. And compare them on paper against my Northen 11

Last edited by Sodermalm; 21-09-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 21-09-2021, 06:34 PM

Don't want to give away any spoilers, but yes, 2 days later the news broke of Wright's departure.

I didn't go to the game. Had I known this may have been his last game for us, I almost certainly would've. The final bow of a most beautiful love affair.

I will be posting up the dreaded headlines when the day arrives.

Old 21-09-2021, 06:39 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
OLDHAM 2 Marshall. Holden
PALACE 3 Salako. Wright. Bright

That attendance
Old 21-09-2021, 07:31 PM

David Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
So glad I went that day. Ironically our attacking play was excellent all day. Can remember sitting on the coach back and bending my friends’ ear about how good Ian was. Have never loved a Palace player as much before or since. I was absolutely devastated when he left but don’t feel any animosity towards him at all. He gave me so many happy memories. My favourite period supporting the club.
Old 22-09-2021, 07:24 AM
Prodigal Son

Mad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is here
His first and last goals were both in 3-2 wins against Oldham. I was at both games.
Old 23-09-2021, 01:01 AM

And so the dreaded day arrives…

Old 23-09-2021, 05:41 AM

David Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It hurt, no doubt. It’s easy to forget that Wright - and Bright - stayed loyal to the club when we were in the Second Division and they were making a name for themselves. Ian Wright, especially, could easily have agitated for a move after we didn’t make the play offs in 1988. I get the feeling I’m an outlier. It was the nail in the coffin that we wouldn’t be a consistent top side from that point on but I can understand his reasons for going. He did loads for Palace.
Old 23-09-2021, 05:57 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
The day Wright left was like a big kick in the guts, and in terms of Palace / football for me still is second only to the pain of losing in 1990. I didn't blame him at all for going. But having watched him make his debut for us, and then been excited every time he got the ball for the next 6 years was something else. I remember in about 1988 I told my mate (a Leeds fan) that we had this striker who'll undoubtedly play for England. He wanted to see him play so came along to an evening game against Ipswich. IW scored both in a 2-0 win, the second one after he'd sat the Ipswich goalie on his arse as he went round him. "Yep, you're right" said my mate. He was - and for me still is - the best player I've ever seen for Palace, and his leaving was genuinely an end-of-era type thing.
Old 23-09-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
It hurt, no doubt. It’s easy to forget that Wright - and Bright - stayed loyal to the club when we were in the Second Division and they were making a name for themselves. Ian Wright, especially, could easily have agitated for a move after we didn’t make the play offs in 1988. I get the feeling I’m an outlier. It was the nail in the coffin that we wouldn’t be a consistent top side from that point on but I can understand his reasons for going. He did loads for Palace.
I was with you. Totally gutted of course, but understood why he wanted to go and to be fair, he certainly proved that it was the right decision. Until Henry turned up, he became Arsenal’s greatest ever scorer. Unbelievable stuff.

Have to say, there was doubt in my mind at the time that he would be a great success. Not that I didn’t rate him massively, but sometimes these big moves don’t come off and I did feel a little worried for him. So as hurtful as it was to see him in an Arsenal shirt and get off to the flyer he did (scored on his debut in the cup then got a hat trick in the league at Southampton), there was a part of me that was mightily proud and vindicated too, as I’d spent the last 5 years telling everyone what an amazing player he was.

Has to be remembered too, that some Arsenal fans weren’t happy with the signing. They seemed well stocked up front and they’d just spent £2.5m (which felt huge at the time) on a 28 year old, and definitely heard some of their support questioning the move. Well that stopped within a week!

Mark Bright I think it was said, ‘the day after Ian left, the place felt like someone had died.’ That pretty much summed it up. Personally at the time I felt we’d take the blow, sign up a new Wrighty and carry on as before….deluded fool.

Old 23-09-2021, 06:56 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Without wishing to mirror a classic Twitter exchange, Wright was only 27 when he signed for Arsenal!

I was different, I had a spiteful and vindictive streak in me and I bore a grudge (I still do). I wanted him to fail at Arsenal and took no pleasure in him getting off to such a flying start. It was the fact that he'd upgraded himself to one of our London rivals and at that time a team who could genuinely stake a claim to being the best in the country - they had won the league in two of the past three seasons and seemed to be moving into a golden era. The signing was a statement of intent from them that they still wanted to get bigger and better. However as I'm sure Stevek will remind us in due course (!), although the move was a personal success for Wright in terms of goals scored, cup wins and regular European football as well as keeping him firmly in the shop window for England, Arsenal's league form tailed off until Arsene Wenger rocked up during the fag-end days of Wrights career.

I remember the following season my dad (an Arsenal fan) quite rightly getting the hump with me when I said that I hoped Wright broke his leg in the cup final! The resentment was that deep for me. It should also be noted that along with his higher profile came a few flashpoints and controversies, if I recall correctly there was some sort of incident when he abused a linesman with a physical disability. This made it easier for me to twist things in my head about him being an unpleasant character who deserved nothing but scorn. Ironically that cup final game in 1993 (and the league cup final the same year) was against Sheffield Wednesday where Wright's old pal Mark Bright had rocked up a year later. By contrast I massively wanted him to do well, Wednesday were not direct rivals and Bright had manfully held things together in 91/92 after Wright left, as we will see in due course. It felt like he'd needed to move on as the team was already in decline, whereas Wright's departure really precipitated that decline (the bastard).

My feelings towards Wright only really mellowed when he was racially abused by Peter Schmichel in a game against the wankers, Ferguson then enabling the racism after the match by accusing Wright of playing the race card. Disgusting stuff which the media has shamefully brushed under the carpet, these people should be persona non grata. But anyway since then I have tended more to look back on pleasure on Wright's journey with us, that newspaper snippet setting out all his key milestones over a six year period really shows what an incredible ride it was. He was an electric player who transformed our fortunes.

Returning briefly to the Oldham game, it was fitting that in Wright's final appearance we turned on the style a bit and put in a strong attacking performance. And very pleasing to me to note that Andy Gray was singled out for special praise, this was the start of his real purple patch which culminated in the England call-up. I absolutely loved Gray, an incredible player for us during this period.
Old 23-09-2021, 07:00 AM

Also forgot to mention that at the time I worked and got on very well with an Arsenal fan who also, as Bubbs mentioned, seemed underwhelmed by the signing. 'What do we want him for, we've already got Smith, Campbell and Merson'. Of course within a few weeks Wright was the best thing since sliced bread, should be an automatic pick for England etc etc. I was getting this every Monday morning at work and it massively rubbed salt in the wound, maybe that helped to calcify my bitterness!

Wright was the sort of player that you really had to see in the flesh to fully appreciate his value, an absolute bag of energy with the mindset that you can try anything. We were so lucky that Coppell found the perfect foil in the calm-headed target man Mark Bright, the two complemented each other so well.
Old 23-09-2021, 07:12 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
To put this into context as a Palace fan, this is one of a very few 'I remember where I was when I heard...' Palace moments for me.

I was parked up outside the Lewisham Centre when I heard this news. I just sat in the car, gutted.

I also remember exactly where I was when the final whistle went after we got beat 3-0 to get relegated in 1993....
Old 23-09-2021, 07:20 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
That picture of him on the back of the Mirror in that shit waspish away kit really felt like seeing your wife with another bloke. Kind of. And when he hit the ground running there… fvck it still hurts.
Old 23-09-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I was with you. Totally gutted of course, but understood why he wanted to go and to be fair, he certainly proved that it was the right decision. Until Henry turned up, he became Arsenal’s greatest ever scorer. Unbelievable stuff.

Have to say, there was doubt in my mind at the time that he would be a great success. Not that I didn’t rate him massively, but sometimes these big moves don’t come off and I did feel a little worried for him. So as hurtful as it was to see him in an Arsenal shirt and get off to the flyer he did (scored on his debut in the cup then got a hat trick in the league at Southampton), there was a part of me that was mightily proud and vindicated too, as I’d spent the last 5 years telling everyone what an amazing player he was.

Has to be remembered too, that some Arsenal fans weren’t happy with the signing. They seemed well stocked up front and they’d just spent £2.5m (which felt huge at the time) on a 28 year old, and definitely heard some of their support questioning the move. Well that stopped within a week!

Mark Bright I think it was said, ‘the day after Ian left, the place felt like someone had died.’ That pretty much summed it up. Personally at the time I felt we’d take the blow, sign up a new Wrighty and carry on as before….deluded fool.
Yeah, I’m with you Bubbs. Once he left, I really wanted him to be a success as it seemed to vindicate everything I’d ever said about him. Genuinely never loved a Palace player more.
Old 23-09-2021, 08:44 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
To put this into context as a Palace fan, this is one of a very few 'I remember where I was when I heard...' Palace moments for me.
Me too. At Bank Station on the way home from work, seeing the headline 'Graham Swoops' on the back page of the Evening Standard.