Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 23-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Yup, exactly how I remember it. They were very complimentary about Eddie and the fans that night and saying what an injustice it was that Eddie got credited with an own goal - which incidentally I think came from pressure by future Palace hero Ray Houghton
My favourite Houghton moment was when he lamped the bloke up at Norwich. I can't remember who it was now, but after Muscat had been sent off for bringing a Norwich player down through on goal a huge fight broke out and Houghton almost took one of their players heads off.
Old 23-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
My favourite Houghton moment was when he lamped the bloke up at Norwich. I can't remember who it was now, but after Muscat had been sent off for bringing a Norwich player down through on goal a huge fight broke out and Houghton almost took one of their players heads off.
I recall him grabbing a Norwich player by the throat. 19 players involved in the dust-up, the only pacifist onlookers being the two keepers & Dave Tuttle. Should have court martialed Tuttle for lack of moral fibre!

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 23-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner View Post
I recall him grabbing a Norwich player by the throat. 19 players involved in the dust-up, the only pacifist onlookers being the two keepers & Dave Tuttle. Should have court martialed Tuttle for lack of moral fibre!
Bryan Gunn came the length of the pitch mind you.
Old 25-04-2021, 04:45 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Just for the record, Palace had no game on the weekend of 27 April 1991, so a week off before the final two games of the season - away to Wimbledon then home to the Wankers. A strong finish was needed to hold on to third place, albeit that it didn't really matter anymore beyond being a source of pride, thanks to the UEFA / FA stitch up which Bubbs has so comprehensively documented. Following just one win in our previous six league games, it seemed important to me that we try to end the season on a high. The players and the management team deserved it for all their efforts in this most memorable of seasons.

So we have to wait until 4 May 1991 for the next fixture, our final visit to the old Plough Lane. I had been there the season before, shortly before the cup final on a balmy May evening. What a fun game that had turned out to be, enlivened by an unexpected punch-up with Dave 'the Mod' Madden in the thick of things as one of his Palace swansongs.

I will not report on the 1991 game there until a couple of days before the anniversary.
Old 26-04-2021, 11:07 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner View Post
I might be wrong bt I think it may have been 21 players - all but Tuttle, who played keepy up on his own, 50 yards away.

I've always been split on that. Yes, he kept out of trouble so is the polite and correct action but in a contact sport like football, I also think players need to know every other player has their back and vice versa. Often wondered what the players said to him back in the dressing room after that game.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 26-04-2021, 11:08 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Am I imagining it or did Palace play a friendly on that weekend of April 27th? I've got a match in Gibraltar in my head for some reason but I freely admit my memory not as good as it used to be.

Old 27-04-2021, 10:26 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Am I imagining it or did Palace play a friendly on that weekend of April 27th? I've got a match in Gibraltar in my head for some reason but I freely admit my memory not as good as it used to be.
Thursday 25th April 1991 v Gibraltar XI. 2-2 Salako and an o.g.
Att. 2,800 +

Woodman, Humphrey, Shaw (Rodger), Pardew, Southgate (Witter), Thorn, Salako, Osborn, Collymore, Bright (Whyte), McGoldrick

Last edited by ian king; 29-04-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 28-04-2021, 05:52 PM
Pilgrim Eagle

Location: On the road that leads from Horsham Eagle to Dorking.Eagle
John from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
Thursday 25th April 1971 v Gibraltar XI. 2-2 Salako and an o.g.
Att. 2,800 +

Woodman, Humphrey, Shaw (Rodger), Pardew, Southgate (Witter), Thorn, Salako, Osborn, Collymore, Bright (Whyte), McGoldrick
1971? Those players were very young!
Old 28-04-2021, 06:45 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Beare Green View Post
Just shows you how special that team were. Osborn was only conceived that month and he was still able to marshall that midfield.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 28-04-2021, 09:03 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
To be fair Bobby Bowry always did look like an 8 year old in an adult's kit. Him getting the piss ripped out of him whilst warming up at A field before the league cup semi final is a treasured memory.
Old 28-04-2021, 10:02 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Just checked Tony Witter on Wikipedia- was only at Palace from 90-91, later played over 100 games for Millwall. A central defender.
Old 28-04-2021, 10:47 PM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
Just checked Tony Witter on Wikipedia- was only at Palace from 90-91, later played over 100 games for Millwall. A central defender.
I seem to remember he was in the same reserve side that had Stan Collymore in it.

My memory tells me that we had our reserve games on a Monday night at Selhurst. I went to a few and can remember seeing Stevie practically giving Stan Collymore 1-1 coaching during the game with him on the wing.

But the other abiding memory is how Tony Witter stood out. He seemed to be a sweeper more than a centre half - always managing to be the spare man, picking up the 2nd ball.

Think he went to QPR for £100,000 - but am surprised to see he only played 1 game for them.
Old 29-04-2021, 05:45 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
To be fair Bobby Bowry always did look like an 8 year old in an adult's kit. Him getting the piss ripped out of him whilst warming up at A field before the league cup semi final is a treasured memory.
Which, of course, made what part of what made Souness's accusation that we kicked them off the park so ridiculous.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 29-04-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Which, of course, made what part of what made Souness's accusation that we kicked them off the park so ridiculous.
I was referring to the 1995 semi, by when I think Souness had long gone. But I might well have got the dates muddled in my head again. It was the one when Fowler scored a last minute winner, I can picture Bobby Bowry now jogging around in his oversized kit...
Old 29-04-2021, 06:29 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I was referring to the 1995 semi, by when I think Souness had long gone. But I might well have got the dates muddled in my head again. It was the one when Fowler scored a last minute winner, I can picture Bobby Bowry now jogging around in his oversized kit...
Sorry - yes, the match I was referring to wasn't a semi final!

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 29-04-2021, 07:08 AM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Beare Green View Post
Corrected!!
Old 29-04-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
Thursday 25th April 1991 v Gibraltar XI. 2-2 Salako and an o.g.
Att. 2,800 +

Thank you...although a bit miffed that we couldn't beat Gibraltar!

Old 29-04-2021, 08:46 PM
Baller!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Sorry - yes, the match I was referring to wasn't a semi final!
Was that the 2-1 at Selhurst? We knocked Liverpool and Chelsea out then got our usual stuffing by Arsenal in the Semis.
Old 30-04-2021, 06:02 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Was that the 2-1 at Selhurst? We knocked Liverpool and Chelsea out then got our usual stuffing by Arsenal in the Semis.
Yes, I think so.

Old 30-04-2021, 03:33 PM

Although Palace had no game on the weekend of 27 April, the charts of course rolled on relentlessly. It was another busy week with four new entries into the top ten:

The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) by Cher - Yes here it is, it was number one for five weeks and ended up as the third biggest selling single of the years. I really disliked it, some sort of movie tie-in with Bob Hoskins if I recall.

Sailing On The Seven Seas by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - something of a surprise comeback hit for OMD who had been dormant for several years, it followed their formula of bouncy synth-pop. I believe OMD have been successfully touring again over recent years so some longevity there.

Senza Una Donna (Without A Woman) by Zucchero featuring Paul Young - one of those weird pan-European crossover hits, a plaintive ballad in which both vocalists gave it all they had. Young's career was really on the skids by now and this was something of a last hurrah for him chart action wise. A rapid descent from his mid-80s heyday.

Human Nature by Gary Clail On-U Sound System - if memory serves this was an industrial dance track. There was a general chit chat thread about concerts at the Crystal Palace bowl a few weeks back, I went to see Squeeze and Level 42 there in 1991 and seeing Gary Clail's name reminds me that he was on the bill for that event.