Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 30-04-2021, 04:01 PM

colonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Human Nature by Gary Clail On-U Sound System - if memory serves this was an industrial dance track. There was a general chit chat thread about concerts at the Crystal Palace bowl a few weeks back, I went to see Squeeze and Level 42 there in 1991 and seeing Gary Clail's name reminds me that he was on the bill for that event.
I was at that gig as a big Level 42 fan.
There was another support band - Witness - that were great. I bought their EP - House Called Love/Change - and they disappeared without trace sadly.
Old 30-04-2021, 04:25 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Human Nature by Gary Clail On-U Sound System - if memory serves this was an industrial dance track.
Gawd, I used to love that track!
Old 02-05-2021, 06:19 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
I finally managed to find and get onto YouTube the official season review video. Not the best quality but you can now put your memories and newspaper reports to the images. Would’ve been better to have had it when we started this thread but better late than never. I’ve also added it to my very first post on page 1 for easy access.

Will also be posting up a random video that might interest some of you when Bipe introduces the Wimbledon game. I found an old Croydon Cable 20 minute item about policing on match-days which features that win at Wimbledon. It is a right journey back in time as it shows a lot of our support watching the game.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 02-05-2021, 06:59 AM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here

Good work Bubbs
Old 02-05-2021, 08:24 AM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
I watched the Wimbledon game in the home end ( along the side of the pitch) with about 10 mates as the away end was already full when we got to the game , There was loads of Palace in there .
Old 02-05-2021, 08:28 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
I threw up at the back of the terrace that day, I was so hungover. Croydon Cable thankfully missed that.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:31 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post

Good work Bubbs
Was that the very lovely Julia Roberts, who introduced that clip ?

And no, I don't mean the Hollywood actress !
Old 02-05-2021, 08:55 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddoWolz View Post
I watched the Wimbledon game in the home end ( along the side of the pitch) with about 10 mates as the away end was already full when we got to the game , There was loads of Palace in there .
I was along the side too, midway through the 2nd half the old bill asked a group of us to move into the away end; they were fairly relaxed about it all if a little bemused by one bloke arguing the toss with them and comparing it to "nazi Germany".

Did Shakespeare forsee our new PM? “he's a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise-breaker, the owner of no one good quality"
Old 02-05-2021, 08:55 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Well we seem to be nudging into the Wimbledon game so just to confirm the formalities and my recollections. 4 May 1991, Wimbledon 0 Palace 3 (Wright 3).

Very much Ian Wright's day with a hat-trick comprising a couple of poacher's finishes and the goal everyone remembers, that fantastic looping volley over the goalkeeper from 40 yards. I've always loved watching the way the ball bounced out back into play from hitting the back of the net for that goal, lovely taut netting there from the Dons and sadly you don't see that anymore. The Dell also used to have that feature.

If I recall all three of Wright's goals were scored in front of the large travelling support. Although a small ground overall (of course Wimbledon were non-league little more than a decade previously), that away terrace behind the goal was quite generously proportioned with a good open view of the action, I used to like going there.

It felt good to finally notch a comfortable win after any number of narrow one goal victories over the course of the season. This set us up nicely for a potential revenge mission at home to the Wankers on the final day of the season.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:05 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Wimbledon fans booing and jeering Wright first-half. That stopped after the break.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:24 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
WIMBLEDON 0
PALACE 3. Wright 3

Att: 10,002

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Bodin. Pardew. Shaw. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Thompson. Wright. McGoldrick. Subs: Collymore (for Thompson). Osborn (unused)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 02-05-2021, 09:35 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
The season was drawing to a close and this was the last away game. Drive to the ground a wander down to the away end. In what I recall was a nice day. To cap it all the result and the manner of the result was one of our best away performances. It was a comfortable game capped off by Wright at his best. The long range effort just added to the whole feel. Game after game that season we went to not expecting defeat though they came. This game though was a highlight we totally outclassed them on their ground.
The rest of the week was spent living the dream. Had a few weeks before I knew the result of the Man Utd game. I was convinced the fund from successful bets in the season helped considerably by Eric scoring was divided between multiple bets covering the result to cover the fund and then the actual score. Now lets be realistic money was tight still. There was a new house move on the cards. No match ever had more than 1 quid in bets. It was all just fun. But with the winnings from the season which were to help fund the season ticket next year covered plus a few multiple bets with the score. I went into the Utd game with 1000 pounds riding on the outcome. For me it was massive. It was at this game I divulged the dream to my mate. It was up there with the Downing Arms bet I told him. Downing Arms was a donkey that was a racehorse. It was tipped to one of the managers in the office we worked in. Every Thursday he came in with vegetables from some old boys allotment he gave a lift to on a Thursday. They were great yet on this day nothing just a tip on a donkey at 15/1. The office being as it was decided to take the challenge. Collected around 28 quid including the director who asked no questions as to how i knew a bookies runner on the shop floor.
At 2.30 listening to the race results on Radio2 a cheer went up. We collected a few hundred quid and a cigar each from the director. This was in 1974 so was a hell of a lot for the time. So some 17 years latter the Utd game was going to be massive for me even if the last game.
Downing Arms went on to lose race after race then when it got to anything over 8/1 it won. Was owned by the landlord of a pub out in the countryside of Bedfordshire hence where the tip originated the old boy supplied his veg for the restaurant.

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 02-05-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:24 AM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The gents on the away terrace was a little wooden shed with a side-on view of the goal behind which the Palace support was massed. There was a window (open) which afforded me an excellent view of one of Ian Wright's goals. See - men can multitask!

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:36 AM

If there was a film made about Ian Wright’s time at Palace, this would’ve been the last happy scene before the mood changes and the ticking time bomb of his departure would begin.

As Bipe said it was ‘Wright’s day’. He was just becoming greater and greater and receiving even more national notoriety. I do remember worrying whether we’d be able to keep hold of him as there was speculation about Liverpool and Arsenal; but you just put it to one side. We were about to finish the third best team in the land, so there was every chance he’d want to stay and see how far we could push this dream.

It was a great afternoon, and one of those games that gave you a really glowing feeling as you’d just seen one of the best goals you’d ever seen in your life. Wimbledon were no slouch’s back then either, so scoring a hat trick and a goal like that was no mean feat.

I love that picture I posted up of Thomas celebrating with Wright. Geoff’s face is just one of disbelief and speaks volumes. If I owned the club that picture would be framed at the club and placed somewhere prominent.

My 18 year old self is actually immortalised at the game by that policing video I placed on You Tube and was posted up on here. I won’t tell you where I am, suffice to say, not one of the old bill. So it turned out to be poor Wimbledon’s final game at the old Plough Lane. At that point we wasn’t aware whether it would be us they’d be sharing with as negotiations were ongoing. A sad outcome for not just the locals and Wimbledon supporters, but for some Palace fans like me I’m guessing, that went many a time to the old ground when Palace were away and watched them as far back as their 4th division days.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:18 AM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm glad Julia read my many letters requesting more footage of the United Artists Fairfield Funday. A particular favourite of mine was a steel band playing Stand by Me!
Old 02-05-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltron View Post
I'm glad Julia read my many letters requesting more footage of the United Artists Fairfield Funday. A particular favourite of mine was a steel band playing Stand by Me!

They did you proud.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Pilgrim Eagle

Location: On the road that leads from Horsham Eagle to Dorking.Eagle
John from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was on the away terrace directly behind the goal, maybe half way up or closer to the top. When Wright went for the lob, I thought it was an idiotic choice. Couldn't he have simply taken it down and then he would have had a one-on-one against the keeper? It was a low terrace. The ball went so high up in the air, and then it came down incredibly fast. The keeper was scrambling back; it was going to be close! I couldn't tell whether the ball had come down on the pitch side of the crossbar or the terrace side, and i couldn't see the goal line (shallow terrace, restricted view) but the fans at the front right behind the goall started jumping aup and down so I realised he'd done it!
Old 02-05-2021, 08:10 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
They had 300 police for Wimbledon v Palace!? The most low key 'derby' (if you can call it that) of all time.

Was there ever a single punch thrown at a Wimbledon-Palace match?

Can't help feeling 5 cops was more than enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 02-05-2021, 08:15 PM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
"Now for the second part of our 'police special'"

The most placid game of all-time - I love watching it for the nostalgia but it's not exactly Line of Duty. LOL

Old 02-05-2021, 08:17 PM

Ha - Baldock makes an appearance. Everyone had a token ejection off him and the team back in the day. Ha ha.

At least mine came at a 0-0 draw