Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 09-05-2021, 08:38 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
PALACE 3. Salako 2. Wright
MAN UTD 0

Att: 25,301

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Bodin. Osborn. Shaw. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. McGoldrick. Subs: Gray (Osborn). Thompson (unused)

Man Utd: Walsh Donaghy Irwin Bruce. Pallister Ince. Ferguson Kanchelskis Webb. Wallace Robins. Subs: Wratten (Robbins). Beardsmore (Pallister)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 09-05-2021, 08:43 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here

Geoff Geraghty (Palace director)

Old 09-05-2021, 09:07 PM

What a way to end our best ever league season. Even though Man U weren’t at full strength, it still felt good to give them a good hiding. Don’t recall being ecstatic though. There was a tinge of sadness about the day for me. It was the end of a fantastic season but the way we were cheated out of Europe left a bad taste. To finish 3rd and not have any reward at the end of it left a flat feeling. We were also playing a club who 4 days later would be playing in a European final that so easily could’ve been us instead if we’d held on for 7 minutes the previous season.

Coppell was not in attendance for this game as he had dental work. Shame, as he, as much as anyone, deserved the cheers and applause at the walk round at the end. I see also that McGoldrick refused to walk round after sulking due to being subbed.

Even though I was still seething over the UEFA stitch up, I felt strongly that it was still onwards and upwards the following season. Coppell’s sides had improved year on, year out since he joined in 1984, so why would the following season be any different? In typical Palace style, things were about to go depressingly wrong in the following months.

Can I just thank Bipe for starting this thread and keeping it going throughout the year. It has been great to relive that season and hear others recollections. Also great for me to share my clippings from each game and means all my hard work putting them together back then and stopping Mrs Bubbs throwing them out, finally went to some use.

I’ll leave you all with my tribute to a most unbelievable season....

Old 09-05-2021, 09:45 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Superb thread.
Zara Long, there’s a blast from the past, didn’t know she was a Palace fan.
And Dean Gordon, Young Player Of The Year.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:14 AM

singapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What a great thread this has been. Thanks to Bipe and bubbs11 and everyone else for taking it all the way through.

I was 15 at the time, so that team were all heroes to me. I especially loved Gray and Thomas in the midfield (so much so that I think I sub-consciously demand that every central midfielder who turns up at Palace plays exactly like them).

I do remember feeling optimistic about the next season. It was still a really young team (especially compared to the current bunch of old-timers). And I reckoned that the Salako-Gray-Thomas-McGoldrick / Wright-Bright line-up was as good as anything in the league. If Noades got his cheque book out like he did the previous summer, we could really be in business.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:31 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Only 3 other teams scored less goal than us in the season.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:13 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Superb thread on a superb season. Thanks to Bipe and Bubbs and everyone else who has contributed.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 10-05-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Only 3 other teams scored less goal than us in the season.
8 - QPR, Sheff Utd, Norwich, Coventry, Aston Villa, Luton, Sunderland and Derby all scored fewer goals than our 50.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:43 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
8 - QPR, Sheff Utd, Norwich, Coventry, Aston Villa, Luton, Sunderland and Derby all scored fewer goals than our 50.
It would have been a season for the ages if 17 of the 20 teams had scored 50+ goals over the course of it!
Old 10-05-2021, 06:50 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
I somehow got 26 and 24 to add up to 40. Still the majority of teams scored more and we look back on those days as exciting football.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:24 AM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Even though Man U weren’t at full strength, it still felt good to give them a good hiding.
Thanks for the video. That was excellent.

I remember man united saying that they were resting players and that's why we beat them to try and take the gloss off of our victory. That disappointed me a bit but it's not like we scraped a 1-0. We thumped them 3-0 so their excuse was a bit lame.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:40 PM
father of John

Ron Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Those Were The Days indeed. Thanks to Bipe, Bubbs et al. It really has been emotional.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:46 PM

Sodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is here
I was 18 at the start of the season and had been a season ticket holder for 4 years. I assumed that we would continue in such a wonderful way for many years...
Old 10-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great choice of song for the video Bubbs. Not a song I either liked or disliked before today - you've just made me love it now sticking it with those clips.

That age of being 17/18 was the perfect age in some ways for that season - old enough to go most weeks at home but young enough to still worship the players. That said, being older and earning a proper wage would have been nice as I'd love to have done more away games.

Norwich, Derby, QPR, Southampton all looked like class away days - would have loved to have been on those terraces.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 11-05-2021, 02:01 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Great thread great work by bipe bubbs and all that contributed probaly one of my favourite palace season along with 1979 /80 and championship winning season under smith.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:07 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Great thread great work by bipe bubbs and all that contributed probaly one of my favourite palace season along with 1979 /80 and championship winning season under smith.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:21 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wish I had kept abreast of this thread more during the season too add more thoughts, but time has got in the way.

I distinctly remember the last 2 games, Wimbledon away and Utd at home. Wrighty getting stick from the wombles in the 1st half as he missed a couple of chances only to crucify them 2nd half. I still think his volley goal from almost the halfway line is one of the best I have ever seen live.

I recall us being fortunate to beat Utd 3-0. They were much the better team 1st half iirc, with Kanchelskis and Giggs (playing only his 2nd game ?) tormenting us. I remember leaving the ground and thinking United by be useful in a season or 2.

Anyway, it was an awesome season to watch and wonder.

Thanks to Bipe and Bubbs for keeping The thread going with press cuttings etc. and others for contributing. I will have a full read one day.

Edit - just checked the team sheets that day and Giggs not involved. Maybe it was the following season in his case. Memory playing tricks with me.

Last edited by PemboExpress; 11-05-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PemboExpress View Post
Wish I had kept abreast of this thread more during the season too add more thoughts, but time has got in the way.

I distinctly remember the last 2 games, Wimbledon away and Utd at home. Wrighty getting stick from the wombles in the 1st half as he missed a couple of chances only to crucify them 2nd half. I still think his volley goal from almost the halfway line is one of the best I have ever seen live.

I recall us being fortunate to beat Utd 3-0. They were much the better team 1st half iirc, with Kanchelskis and Giggs (playing only his 2nd game ?) tormenting us. I remember leaving the ground and thinking United by be useful in a season or 2.

Anyway, it was an awesome season to watch and wonder.

Thanks to Bipe and Bubbs for keeping The thread going with press cuttings etc. and others for contributing. I will have a full read one day.

Edit - just checked the team sheets that day and Giggs not involved. Maybe it was the following season in his case. Memory playing tricks with me.
Following season when we lost 1-3 to United, Giggs was only in one of his first appearances and he absolutely tore us apart that day. We scored a bit of a lucky Paul Mortimer header. I just remember seeing Peter Schmeichel towering in their goal and thinking how are we ever going to score past this guy?!
Old 11-05-2021, 03:17 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Following season when we lost 1-3 to United, Giggs was only in one of his first appearances and he absolutely tore us apart that day. We scored a bit of a lucky Paul Mortimer header. I just remember seeing Peter Schmeichel towering in their goal and thinking how are we ever going to score past this guy?!
Yeah Giggs was frightening.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:29 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
Yeah Giggs was frightening.
That was literally the day after his 18th birthday. The day United beat us 3-1 it was a week short of my 19th birthday. It hit me that he already achieved more as an 18 year in one day than I'd managed in 51 weeks! What a depressing day that was

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1