Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 24-04-2021, 01:21 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I can understand that angle.
And I go further out on a limb by maintaining that Viva! Is the best Roxy LP.
Old 24-04-2021, 01:25 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Well that is indeed a limb.
Old 24-04-2021, 01:29 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well that is indeed a limb.
I saw them on the '75 tour.
The band really come into their own and, in my opinion, Chris Thomas captured those songs way better than the original studio recordings.
Both Ends Burning, indeed.
Old 24-04-2021, 02:02 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
I can understand that angle.
I'm not sure that I do.
Old 24-04-2021, 02:11 PM

legaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I love Ferry in Roxy, but have always disliked his solo stuff. My mum liked it, for f*ck's sake.
I adopted that approach,until I 'got into' Billie Holiday's recordings with Lester Young from the late 1930s .Was playing them in the car,and my mum said 'I really like that'(she was around in the era when they were made)

My foot is in the Pin Ups is shite 'cept for Sorrow camp (being a good artist doesn't mean you make a great covers album necessarily) though I thought it was downhill all the way for BF as a solo artist after that first record...

Saw one of Roxy's first performances (friend was a friend of Phil Manzanera, nee Targett-Adams, and told me to look out for them) at the Lincoln Festival in 1972...
Old 24-04-2021, 02:18 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
I'm not sure that I do.
Each to their own.

Malpractice - Best Dr Feelgood album
Old 24-04-2021, 02:20 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagle2 View Post
I adopted that approach,until I 'got into' Billie Holiday's recordings with Lester Young from the late 1930s .Was playing them in the car,and my mum said 'I really like that'(she was around in the era when they were made)

My foot is in the Pin Ups is shite 'cept for Sorrow camp (being a good artist doesn't mean you make a great covers album necessarily) though I thought it was downhill all the way for BF as a solo artist after that first record...

Saw one of Roxy's first performances (friend was a friend of Phil Manzanera, nee Targett-Adams, and told me to look out for them) at the Lincoln Festival in 1972...
Maybe your mum had more taste than mine? We only agreed on Motown, Glen Campbell and Johnny Cash.
Old 24-04-2021, 02:20 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I saw them on the '75 tour.
The band really come into their own and, in my opinion, Chris Thomas captured those songs way better than the original studio recordings.
Both Ends Burning, indeed.
Youíve made me want to listen to it - Iíve never owned that album, I have just about all the others.
Old 24-04-2021, 02:21 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Youíve made me want to listen to it - Iíve never owned that album, I have just about all the others.
Enjoy!
Old 24-04-2021, 02:23 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Those recordings of Lester Young with Billie Holiday are incredible and must have sounded like the future or transmissions from Venus to an English girl in the 30s and 40s.
Old 25-04-2021, 03:40 PM
43% Burnt

PauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPauLo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
DaM-FunK - Architecture I/II/III
Sade - Diamond Life

http://www.last.fm/user/the_paulo
Old 25-04-2021, 04:37 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The first Roxy album is the one, closely followed by FYP. I'm also rather fond of Peter Skellern's You're a Lady, and the Billy Liar TV show theme.
Old 25-04-2021, 05:29 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Have we done this before?

I've changed around a lot between the first three LPs, but most days I think Stranded is the best.
Old 25-04-2021, 05:52 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Have we done this before?

I've changed around a lot between the first three LPs, but most days I think Stranded is the best.
Tim is right, Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure are top of the studio albums. But I love them all. Last thing I liked was the opening track of Manifesto. Great live set opener.
After that? Nah.
Old 25-04-2021, 06:08 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Dunno, I was thinking maybe Avalon deserves another chance, the other day. Maybe I’ll have grow into it.
Old 25-04-2021, 06:53 PM

david sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Avalon is a work of coked-up wonder. Drive through the French countryside in August listening to that baby and basically you're in heaven.
Old 25-04-2021, 08:21 PM
Facilities

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
The Choice - Chez N Trent
Old 26-04-2021, 05:47 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Gentle Giant- Gentle Giant
Old 26-04-2021, 09:12 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
Gentle Giant- Gentle Giant
You have my sympathy.
Old 27-04-2021, 02:05 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Lots of Richard Thompson after reading his autobiography Beeswing - Losing My Way & Finding My Voice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019