Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 04-02-2020, 01:52 PM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Dos cervezas, por favor.
Noch ein Bier.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:05 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleye20 View Post
Well I don't think the Croatian ambassador would have anything less than perfect English.

Jonny Foreigner speaks far better english than we do.

The official EU language was changed to english,a typical blunder to assuage the lazy british, hopefully it is in the process of reverting to french.

Together with the abolition of english food on humanitarian grounds.
Why hopefully? Everyone's second language is English you can go almost anywhere in the world and someone will speak English, not so with French.

English is spoken because its the most common second language.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:40 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Still none the wiser.
Tout.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:00 PM

Jonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is hereJonboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
We have lots of expats on here. I'd be interested to know how fluent our friends in Spain, the middle and far east are.

For example, could they manage with a local doctor that can speak no English? Or arranging a repair for the boiler.

My French is pretty good but those things would be a struggle.
After 20 years I am pretty fluent in Canadian.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:05 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
After 20 years I am pretty fluent in Canadian.
I can "just" about get by but no choice here in Quebec but when they go off on one (maybe like us with our accents)I'm lost.

French I'm useless at

Us immigrants tend to stick together...
Old 04-02-2020, 04:24 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz View Post
As a remainer and someone who is lucky enough to work abroad a bit and a proud European, I have been in a situation where I was feeling very uneasy with the language thing.

I live in East Grinstead so not a particularly diverse place TBF...Took my car to be cleaned in town while going up the gym. The lad in the car wash that came up to me looked lost when I said dont bother with cleaning the boot, His boss saw me trying to talk to him and came running over to take charge.

I then went into the Gym as it was lunch time and there were about 15 lads and lassies in there, I was the only English speaking one in there and have to admit it did feel a bit weird ( I dont know why ) and I did find myself thinking " have I slipped to eastern Europe without knowing"

So I can see how the older less Liberal people dont like it.
Yes, but did he only charge you £8 for cleaning your car inside and out

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:25 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
I can "just" about get by but no choice here in Quebec but when they go off on one (maybe like us with our accents)I'm lost.

French I'm useless at

Us immigrants tend to stick together...
Best not try to clean someone's car or go to the gym at lunchtime. You might offend someone with your foreignness.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:34 PM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
Yes, but did he only charge you £8 for cleaning your car inside and out
Cheap Labour to use .... the Remain middle class love cheap, while smugly thinking they're superior of mind.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-exile View Post
Cheap Labour to use .... the Remain middle class love cheap, while smugly thinking they're superior of mind.
Odd. Do the brexit middle class like expensive while being depressed about being inferior of mind?

I am sure John Lewis think youíre wrong. What with their entire business model being built upon the opposite.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:09 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Quote:
You could tip them more if you wanted to. Do you?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Tout.
Whatever.

Bore.

Cricket wanker.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:21 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
In fairness, and as your posts exemplify, if there is just one thing that Brexit has proven beyond doubt is that the Remain middle class don't need foreigners to prove they are superior of mind.

Last edited by adrenalin john; 04-02-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spello
Old 04-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
Best not try to clean someone's car or go to the gym at lunchtime. You might offend someone with your foreignness.
Just by speaking English is enough here sometimes,then with my south London accent

I cleaned a whole Terminal and outside cabins last night,doing the same tonight,tomorrow,then the next day...Actually made my guys money yesterday where if something is blocked now on the port they get the money instead of a plumber, $99.99 for maybe 20 mins work,dirty work but honest.

The Gym I have to get back too.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:40 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
Just by speaking English is enough here sometimes,then with my south London accent

I cleaned a whole Terminal and outside cabins last night,doing the same tonight,tomorrow,then the next day...Actually made my guys money yesterday where if something is blocked now on the port they get the money instead of a plumber, $99.99 for maybe 20 mins work,dirty work but honest.

The Gym I have to get back too.
You will know far far better than I, but my experience of Quebec province is the further North you go the more they frown upon -or worse - use of the English language.

Montreal is a beacon of liberality compared even to Quebec city.

I wouldn't mind but they ******* murder French
Old 04-02-2020, 09:00 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz View Post
As a remainer and someone who is lucky enough to work abroad a bit and a proud European, I have been in a situation where I was feeling very uneasy with the language thing.

I live in East Grinstead so not a particularly diverse place TBF...Took my car to be cleaned in town while going up the gym. The lad in the car wash that came up to me looked lost when I said dont bother with cleaning the boot, His boss saw me trying to talk to him and came running over to take charge.

I then went into the Gym as it was lunch time and there were about 15 lads and lassies in there, I was the only English speaking one in there and have to admit it did feel a bit weird ( I dont know why ) and I did find myself thinking " have I slipped to eastern Europe without knowing"

So I can see how the older less Liberal people dont like it.
I do get your point, I live a bit down the road and hear more foreign language than English out and about in the town centre.
Its not possible not to feel a stranger in your home town at times.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:12 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
We have a lot of tourism round my way, as well.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:03 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Whatever.

Bore.
Bong

Old 04-02-2020, 10:38 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by averity View Post
Those polls are not very good, and itís not as simple as whether someone likes hearing others speak theyíre native tongue in the uk. I think the problem comes when they only speak their language and donít make an effort to learn english, especially if letís say one has lived here for numerous years.
Which isnít an issue is it.

Quote:
Only 138,000 migrants, fewer than 0.3% of population, speak no English. Many an older generation who had come as grandparents. Census 2011.Ē
And most of those who arenít old will go on to learn English.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:46 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
Which isnít an issue is it.

And most of those who arenít old will go on to learn English.
It's the kind of issue that unfortunately does get a mention though.
Hearing johnny foreigner speaking English in M&S on the other hand though, rarely if ever will get a mention.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
We have a lot of tourism round my way, as well.
Does hearing English bother you?