Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 23-09-2020, 07:30 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Palace 8 Wright 3. Bright 3. Thompson. Hodges
Southend 0

Att: 9,653

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Thompson (for Barber). Hodges (for Humphrey).

Don’t know the official Southend line up but here is the team on the back of the programme

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 23-09-2020, 07:43 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
So not only Dean Austin but also Chris Powell and Andy Ansah. I had forgotten that Powell went to Southend from us not that long before this. What a long and winding career he had, culminating in England recognition under Sven.
Old 23-09-2020, 07:47 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
What a night! I was also there 11 years earlier for the 7-0 thrashing of Stockport and this went one better. I was in the Whitehorse just behind the goal and remember at the final whistle both Bright and Wright going up to their keeper Paul Sansome and consoling him. They said afterwards that they told him just a year before this happened to us with the 9-0 and we fought back.

Looking at the report I had totally forgot that Wright got booked early on for a lunge on none other than Chris Powell. Southend also had ex Palace boy Andy Ansah and future Eagle Dean Austin. Another ex Palace player that moved that summer to Southend along with Powell was Adam Locke, who I’m not sure played that night. He only played a few first team games for Palace but I was aware of him as he was a few years above me at my high school.

Believe it or not, this was the first time Wright and Bright had started a match together for 6 months - the game being the home draw against Derby in March when Wright broke his leg for a second time.

Old 23-09-2020, 08:02 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes, I remember the Southend game very well. I went with a Southend supporting mate from work. Yes, we did still speak afterwards!

The odd thing was we weren't that good 1st half - they were almost the better team (I think we were only 2-0 up from memory) - but we absolutely blitzed them 2nd half with Wright, Bright and Hodges running rampant.

Needless to say still my, and I would imagine almost everyone else's (except for those around in 1959) record Palace win.

Not that I was nervous but I did still attend the 2nd leg away.

Happy memories.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:12 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PemboExpress View Post
Hodges running rampant.
Now there's a phrase that's hardly ever been used.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:20 PM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Hodges, for some reason, reminded me of Robin Askwith....
Old 23-09-2020, 11:44 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Now there's a phrase that's hardly ever been used.
I think it only ever happened in that game! In a Palace shirt at least.
Old 24-09-2020, 12:07 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
I was at every home game in 90/91, so including the 8-0 v Southend. All I can remember about it, though, is the hat-tricks for Wright and Bright. It remains the only time I've seen (live) two players score hat-tricks in the same game. I've got a feeling Southend were actually going quite well in Division 3 at the time, so it's not like they were relegation fodder in a low league, we were just way too good for them.
Old 24-09-2020, 12:28 AM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
I was there too. I remember the scoreline, not much about the game except that it was sort of boring in a way seeing a procession of goals. But satisfying of course seeing our attack working. We were generally very defensive under Steve Coppell, and it was nice to enjoy a lot of goals.
Old 24-09-2020, 04:02 AM

Have I totally missed the joke and reading too much into the quote from the report I posted, or was this a bit dodgy from the Southend boss? The two paragraphs under the heading ‘Console’.

Old 24-09-2020, 06:12 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
More innocent times some might say...in other words racist remarks like that were shrugged off and not challenged. Even as a 'joke' it doesn't work as being harder to see would surely mean a bigger goal threat!
Old 24-09-2020, 07:32 AM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
More innocent times some might say...in other words racist remarks like that were shrugged off and not challenged. Even as a 'joke' it doesn't work as being harder to see would surely mean a bigger goal threat!
Hugely racist even then. What a scum bag.
Old 24-09-2020, 07:49 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was unbearable at school the next day! I don't mind admitting it.

Every Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal fan was asked the same question

"What's the past tense of the verb 'to eat'"
"Ate."
"8-0! 8-0! 8-0!"

8-0 was plastered all over the blackboard at the start of lessons before the teacher arrived. I had my 'Mutant Ninja Palace Heroes' T-shirt (bought from a geezer outside Selhurst the week before) under my white school shirt, so the ninja turle in a Palace shirt was easily visible and had my Palace scarf on in class as well.

Having been the butt of the 6th form jokes (teachers joined in as well) after the 9-0 54 weeks previously, this was the day I evened the score. Ha ha. What a day!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 24-09-2020, 07:52 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
That Southend side were decent. They went up that season. It was only three years later we were playing them as equals in the 1st Division.

Old 24-09-2020, 07:53 AM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
what a great thread, thanks to all who posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 24-09-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
So not only Dean Austin but also Chris Powell and Andy Ansah. I had forgotten that Powell went to Southend from us not that long before this. What a long and winding career he had, culminating in England recognition under Sven.
Add to the list Paul Sansome in goal who had been at Palace in 79-80.

Never played in the first team. Ironically he'd have been at Palace when we beat Stockport 7-0 in 1979

Old 24-09-2020, 09:10 AM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember coming out of the ground afterwards and hearing one Southend fan saying to his mates "I`d rather lose 8-0 to that lot than 1-0 to Spurs" which I thought odd at the time.Didn`t know Southend had history with Spurs.
Old 24-09-2020, 11:34 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Hugely racist even then. What a scum bag.
Aye. Deffo would have got back to the players too
Old 24-09-2020, 02:34 PM

We're into a new chart week, so these were the new faces in the top ten for week ending 29 September:

I've Been Thinking About You by Londonbeat - not to be confused with the London Boys of similar vintage, this run of the mill effort was bafflingly popular. It got to number 2 in this country and somehow all the way to number 1 in the USA.

Cult Of Snap by Snap - they enjoyed two monster hits with The Power ('we will attack - and you don't want that!') and Rhythm Is A Dancer ('I'm as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer'). This one only just scraped into the top 10, it had a Moroccan souk kind of vibe going on but was otherwise unmemorable.

Fascinating Rhythm by Bassomatic - this one is not even ringing any vague bells with me. Around this time the charts were being infested by one-off dance singles from DJs under the guise of a phony group name, so maybe it was one of those.
Old 24-09-2020, 03:40 PM

colonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Fascinating Rhythm by Bassomatic - this one is not even ringing any vague bells with me. Around this time the charts were being infested by one-off dance singles from DJs under the guise of a phony group name, so maybe it was one of those.
As a child of the time I LOVE this tune. She had such a sultry voice. Worth a listen I reckon.

Last edited by colonel; 24-09-2020 at 03:43 PM.