Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 27-08-2020, 06:38 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
So this was the fun trip in an Datsun Sunny 120Y. Left work to drive to my first midweek fixture with my first season ticket since the kids were born. I missed out some of the 80s due to being skint. Mortgage Rates at all time high. However promotion at work and spare cash from a hard few months overtime. Time to get a season ticket.
Holmesdale End by the Old Stand up by the floodlight me and my long suffering friend settled in for the first home game of the season.
It was a cracker playing a derby always adds an edge and this game was packed with hard tackles. More importantly despite the sending offs we played some great football. On a summer night it was the perfect game to kick off the home season. We looked in control settled well and dominated.
A start with 4 points on the board.
It also settled a series of superstitions. Pie and Chips from the chinese chippy on Whitehorse Lane. A first goal scorer bet on Ninja. The sanme place on the terrace. Same route from N Herts.
Still despite the impressive start no idea what was to come. However 4 points was a great start. Ended the night dropping mate off in Clapham and then home via Vauxhall Bridge Marble Arch Lords Finchley Road A1.
Old 27-08-2020, 06:38 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
When you think of him, Colleymore, Coleman, Southgate, Osborne and Rodger, plus Armstrong a year later, there was a second wave there that could’ve sustained things even after Wright left. Shaw and Salako were still early 20’s. It just seem to fall apart though.
Not to mention Southend must have thought we were one dumb**** club at the time
Old 27-08-2020, 09:27 PM

colonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
Not to mention Southend must have thought we were one dumb**** club at the time
Not when we’d tanked them 8-0 a few weeks later!
Old 30-08-2020, 05:13 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
We move on to the third game of the season, a 1-0 home win against Sheffield United on 1 September. They had just arrived into the top flight on the back of two successive promotions under the tutelage of Dave 'route one' Bassett. Brian Deane and Tony Agana up top had scored plenty the previous year (Deane really did hang around the scene for a long time didn't he).

At this stage the Blades were just embarking on a spectacularly bizarre season and possibly the mother of all turnarounds, eclipsing what we achieved under Pulis a few years back. They failed to win any of their first 16 games and by Christmas Day they had accumulated a truly pathetic four points. Relegation looked an absolute foregone conclusion. But then they suddenly won seven games on the bounce and never looked back, ending the season in a comfortable 13th position (out of 22).

I remember little of this game but the goal was a trademark bullet header from Garry Thompson, feeding off another John Humphrey cross. I liked Thompson, who was an astute signing towards the end of the previous season. Initially Coppell had drafted him in to deputise for Ian Wright while he was out with his broken leg and he scored the winner against Villa four minutes into his debut. He would have known that both Wright and Bright were as close as you're ever going to get to automatic picks up front but when he did play he always seemed to be really up for it, had a fantastic attitude. His style of play was a sort of hybrid of the two, strong with his back to goal and good in the air but also a powerful runner with the ball at his feet.

I cannot remember if Pembo played for the Blades in this game, soon after his summer departure, but I assume he must have done.

So three games in and we were sitting pretty on seven points with plenty to look forward to. The crowd for this one was 16,831, over 10,000 down on the midweek game against Chelsea. Back in those days it was still quite unusual to get above 20,000 except for the London derbies and the games against the top sides.
Old 30-08-2020, 09:59 PM

colonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Still frustrated we couldn’t play Thompson in the cup final despite him being on our books (but cup tied for about a 5 mins appearance) whereas Sealey on loan was fine...
Thought he was great and in another era would have become a legend for us I’m sure
Old 30-08-2020, 10:10 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Didn't go to that many games, that wonderful season, but I was at this one.
Really just remember a great cross from John Humphrey and a powerful header from Garry Thompson. And Johnny Pemberton did play and got a good reception from the Palace crowd.
Such a long time ago, but I recall it being a pretty comfortable 1-0 and that Sheff Utd looked nailed on to struggle but as already pointed out, they made a pretty astonishing recovery.
Oh yes, I thought Thompson was great for us, as well - never let us down, on the rare occasion he got a game.
Old 30-08-2020, 11:04 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
The stand out for me in this game was we should of been 1 0 down and today we would ofbeen. Brian Deane scored a perfectly good goal with a header at the far post from my position. It clearly just sneaked in but was cleared and the ref waved play on. Why and how i dont know but we took advantage. So the first table we were riding high. Though it was hard after this game to see it was going to last. Put the Luton game in and though we had the points and played well midweek we still looked alittle short of being a good side.
Time changed that view......
Old 30-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
I was at the game, but don't remember anything about it (I fear this may be a recurring comment...) I only know it was a good Garry Thompson header after a prodigious leap because I watched the season review video quite recently.
Old 31-08-2020, 05:19 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Palace 1 Sheff U 0

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Thompson. Wright. Hodges. Subs: Barber (for Hodges). Bright (for Thompson)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 31-08-2020, 05:24 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
A bit late but i just wanted to chip in with what a goal that was by Wrighty against Chelsea. One of those ecstatic moments you get at a football ground.
Old 31-08-2020, 05:34 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Like the others, I can’t remember much from this one. What I do recall is of course the return of Pembo. As they were a newly promoted side without a win in their first two, you went into this thinking we could give them a bit of a lesson, but in the end there was a feeling of relief to get the win as it was a lot closer than hoped.

Interesting inside info from Noades after the game concerning our signing of Eric Young plus his plans for renovating Selhurst. Some things never change.

On the Monday after the game, Graham Taylor named his first England squad. Nigel Martyn is called up and Wright is on stand by. Why only on stand by God only knows but I guess Steve Bull, plying his trade for a mid table 2nd division side, was a better bet.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 31-08-2020, 06:15 PM

Location: Still hunting for a Cat Deeley lookalike in the Capital City of Caterham
le piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Didn’t Sheffield Utd have a horribly bright away shirt for this?? Vaguely remember them wearing one??
Old 01-09-2020, 03:07 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by le piddler View Post
Didn’t Sheffield Utd have a horribly bright away shirt for this?? Vaguely remember them wearing one??
You mean like the one in the pictures from the game posted just 3 posts before yours?
Old 01-09-2020, 05:40 AM

Location: Still hunting for a Cat Deeley lookalike in the Capital City of Caterham
le piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minele piddler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I did see that but always thought it was a bit more laity than that
Old 01-09-2020, 06:10 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
I did see that but always thought it was a bit more laity than that
You are right but it was actually the following season when they rocked up in their fluorescent yellow number. Not this game.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:53 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Stood on the Whitehorse it looked like th away end was full of coppers. Dortmund had a particularly bright yellow shirt this season (I owned one despite not being a Dortmund fan) but the Sheff Utd one was easily the brightest in the English game at this point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 01-09-2020, 07:57 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Like the others, I can’t remember much from this one. What I do recall is of course the return of Pembo. As they were a newly promoted side without a win in their first two, you went into this thinking we could give them a bit of a lesson, but in the end there was a feeling of relief to get the win as it was a lot closer than hoped.

Interesting inside info from Noades after the game concerning our signing of Eric Young plus his plans for renovating Selhurst. Some things never change.

On the Monday after the game, Graham Taylor named his first England squad. Nigel Martyn is called up and Wright is on stand by. Why only on stand by God only knows but I guess Steve Bull, plying his trade for a mid table 2nd division side, was a better bet.

Hate to admit it but Steve Bull scored over 100 goals in two seasons (Divs 4 & 3) ; scored on England debut, scored at least one other for England that I can recall and was generally feared as a top striker. Obviously Wrighty was as well but Bull wasn't exactly deadwood at that time.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 AM

Those pics of the Sheff Utd don't highlight just how bright it was. Maybe it was overcast at the time of the photos but certainly at the start of the match it was sunny and they were practically glowing!

Old 01-09-2020, 08:00 AM

"There is no club bigger than us" Noades

Gotta love it. Not quite sure that was true - LOL. I still remember that article in 1988-89 in Palace News and believing that a) Palace would be the ones to make the Big 5 the Big 6 as he put it and that by ourcentenary in 2005 we'd be playing at Crystal Palace Park in a mega stadium.

Didn't quite turn out like that!

Old 01-09-2020, 08:02 AM

By the end of this game, Palace had scored 4 goals of which two had been created by sublime crossfield assists from new RB John Humphrey. He quietly came in and went about his business.