Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-04-2021, 06:46 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
This title came as no surprise to many, after our FA Cup triumph over struggling Man United in 1990. This led to the departure of the clueless Alex Ferguson and was the catalyst to Palace becoming a super power of the English game.
Old 19-04-2021, 07:27 PM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
It needs to be pointed out that if the big 6 are booted out of domestic football that surely their records would have to be expunged.

I think this means we won the title in 1990-91
And 2 fa cups as well.
Old 21-04-2021, 03:36 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
From the Everton programme:

Palace announce new sponsorship deal with Tulip

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Season ticket prices for 91/92 season

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 21-04-2021, 05:35 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
From the Everton programme:

Palace announce new sponsorship deal with Tulip

Season ticket prices for 91/92 season

Noades face = Just shut up and sign the cheque.
Old 21-04-2021, 06:23 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
£100 for a season ticket on the Holmesdale...those were the days.

Interesting to note that Pardew again started this game, Andy Gray must still have been injured from the ZDS Final. I've always had it in my head that apart from the early phase of the season, Pardew pretty much faded from the first team picture with the exception of the ZDS games. But in truth as the team line-ups through the season have shown he was still getting plenty of game time, albeit often due to injuries.

From memory he and Barber both left in the summer as Coppell started to ring the changes. Paul Mortimer came in (we'll gloss over that quickly), and of course we had Gareth Southgate emerging in midfield, closely followed by Rodger and Osborn from the youth set up. I used to play against Simon Rodger in youth football so it was interesting to see him make the grade.
Old 21-04-2021, 06:33 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
£100 for a season ticket on the Holmesdale...those were the days.

Interesting to note that Pardew again started this game, Andy Gray must still have been injured from the ZDS Final. I've always had it in my head that apart from the early phase of the season, Pardew pretty much faded from the first team picture with the exception of the ZDS games. But in truth as the team line-ups through the season have shown he was still getting plenty of game time, albeit often due to injuries.

From memory he and Barber both left in the summer as Coppell started to ring the changes. Paul Mortimer came in (we'll gloss over that quickly), and of course we had Gareth Southgate emerging in midfield, closely followed by Rodger and Osborn from the youth set up. I used to play against Simon Rodger in youth football so it was interesting to see him make the grade.
From memory Mortimor came in that season to replace Salako after he was injured.
I dont recall many close season signings Lee Sinnot to cover Eric. Plus Chris Coleman a defender from Swansea who ended up as a centre forward by the end of the season.
Old 21-04-2021, 07:06 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
From memory he and Barber both left in the summer as Coppell started to ring the changes. .
I think Pardew left nearer Xmas 91. I say that only because my memory is of the Eagle Eye front cover of their Christmas issue, with Pardew on a turkey's head and saying 'Merry Christmas Charlton - here's your turkey'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 21-04-2021, 07:07 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nice jump in sponsorship money. I remember the initial Virgin deal in 88 being £250,000, although that may have been renewed at some stage - now we were up to a million per year.

Old 21-04-2021, 07:12 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
I think Pardew left nearer Xmas 91. I say that only because my memory is of the Eagle Eye front cover of their Christmas issue, with Pardew on a turkey's head and saying 'Merry Christmas Charlton - here's your turkey'
True i think the Mortimor signing was the final straw. He was not seen as the long term Salako replacement. Mortimor came after Marco as we never saw Salako feeding Marco from the wing.
Old 21-04-2021, 08:02 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I went to the Villa away game early in the 91/92 season and I have a clear recollection that Mortimer played in that game. But I'm probably wrong.
Old 21-04-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I went to the Villa away game early in the 91/92 season and I have a clear recollection that Mortimer played in that game. But I'm probably wrong.
Signed for us on the 18th October which was 17 days after Marco.
However you may be correct but was playing for Villa
Old 21-04-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Signed for us on the 18th October which was 17 days after Marco.
However you may be correct but was playing for Villa
Wow I think you're right...amazing how the memory starts playing these tricks on you as middle age beds in.
Old 21-04-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Wow I think you're right...amazing how the memory starts playing these tricks on you as middle age beds in.
Mine is Lee Sinnot i thought he played in the Norwich ZDS semi final.
Somewhere there is a game he played and showed how good a player he could be. Trouble is now I cannot for the life of me think which one.
Old 21-04-2021, 10:11 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Sinnott would have made a great old-style Rugby full back - he had an unerring ability to find touch.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 21-04-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Mine is Lee Sinnot i thought he played in the Norwich ZDS semi final.
Somewhere there is a game he played and showed how good a player he could be. Trouble is now I cannot for the life of me think which one.
I think every player does have one decent game in them. Sometimes it is just one.

When I think of this I think Rudi Hedman v high flying Villa in 1990; David Amsalem's debut in 1998; Damian Mathew's debut at Grimsby (his 2nd game was pretty good as well); I think David Woozley and Richard Harris as the 1999 season drew to a close.

I'm sure you're right about Sinnott, but like you, I cannot for the life of me remember which game it was.

Old 21-04-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I think every player does have one decent game in them. Sometimes it is just one.

When I think of this I think Rudi Hedman v high flying Villa in 1990; David Amsalem's debut in 1998; Damian Mathew's debut at Grimsby (his 2nd game was pretty good as well); I think David Woozley and Richard Harris as the 1999 season drew to a close.

I'm sure you're right about Sinnott, but like you, I cannot for the life of me remember which game it was.
Rudi I would add Swindon play off second leg.
Old 21-04-2021, 06:54 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

I think when we signed Rudi from Colchester (?), when they had almost been relegated out of the Football League, I think our expectations about him, were pretty low.

On that basis, I never thought he was that bad a player, for us

Lee Sinnott, on the other hand.....oh dear.
Old 22-04-2021, 09:35 AM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Richard Harris as the 1999 season drew to a close.
But all Richard Harris could do was throw a ball

Mind you, he should have signed for Stoke, would have been cheaper than Delap and I am sure he could throw it much further
Old 22-04-2021, 09:41 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
But all Richard Harris could do was throw a ball

Mind you, he should have signed for Stoke, would have been cheaper than Delap and I am sure he could throw it much further
Yup, Richard Harris did next to f all for us bar a long throw. Woozley was decent enough, and Andy Frampton done a job at Left Back.
Old 22-04-2021, 07:14 PM

On 23 April 1991 we travelled to Anfield to play Liverpool.

The timing of this was somewhat ironic, coming just a week or so after the powers that be had decided to kick little old Palace firmly in the gonads and welcome Liverpool back into the European fold. 18 months previously we had travelled up there in hope, only to witness the infamous 9-0 mauling. A lot of water had passed under the bridge since then of course, we had won our previous two games against them so this time around there was more optimism that we could hand their faltering title defence a potentially fatal blow.

It wasn't to be as we succumbed to a comfortable 3-0 defeat, we would have to wait until the following season to taste victory at Anfield. If memory serves though, this was the game in which Eddie McGoldrick played as a sweeper. This was certainly a bold move from Coppell, going with an untried formation and utilising a player in the pivotal position who as far as we knew had never played there in his life. As it turned out McGoldrick played well and he famously drew particular attention from the notoriously dour Allan Green on the live radio commentary, who repeatedly broke off from commenting on the game to marvel at McGoldrick's skill and bravery. It took something to draw praise from that miserable bugger so well done Eddie. The game culminated in a late McGoldrick own goal, this brought further howls of sympathy from Green.

In fact I believe the entire line up that night was relatively experimental, I think Southgate started and I have a recollection that Collymore came off the bench...maybe this was the cameo appearance that sewed the seed for his big money move to Anfield a few years later!

Last edited by Bipe; 22-04-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Typo