Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-04-2021, 07:58 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
LIVERPOOL 3. Rush. Barnes McGoldrick (og)
PALACE 0

Att: 36,767

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Bodin. Pardew. Southgate. Shaw. Thomas. Osborn. Wright. McGoldrick. Subs: Collymore (for Bodin). Thompson (Osborn)

Liverpool: Grobbelaar Ablett Burrows Nicol Mølby Staunton Beardsley Houghton Rush Barnes. Gillespie. Subs: Speedie Rosenthal (unused)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 22-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
On 23 April 1991 we travelled to Anfield to play Liverpool.

The timing of this was somewhat ironic, coming just a week or so after the powers that be had decided to kick little old Palace firmly in the gonads and welcome Liverpool back into the European fold. 18 months previously we had travelled up there in hope, only to witness the infamous 9-0 mauling. A lot of water had passed under the bridge since then of course, we had won our previous two games against them so this time around there was more optimism that we could hand their faltering title defence a potentially fatal blow.

It wasn't to be as we succumbed to a comfortable 3-0 defeat, we would have to wait until the following season to taste victory at Anfield. If memory serves though, this was the game in which Eddie McGoldrick played as a sweeper. This was certainly a bold move from Coppell, going with an untried formation and utilising a player in the pivotal position who as far as we knew had never played there in his life. As it turned out McGoldrick played well and he famously drew particular attention from the notoriously dour Allan Green on the live radio commentary, who repeatedly broke off from commenting on the game to marvel at McGoldrick's skill and bravery. It took something to draw praise from that miserable bugger so well done Eddie. The game culminated in a late McGoldrick own goal, this brought further howls of sympathy from Green.

In fact I believe the entire line up that night was relatively experimental, I think Southgate started and I have a recollection that Collymore came off the bench...maybe this was the cameo appearance that sewed the seed for his big money move to Anfield a few years later!
That was his debut, right?
Old 22-04-2021, 08:02 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
LIVERPOOL 3. Rush. Barnes McGoldrick (og)
PALACE 0

Att: 36,767

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Bodin. Pardew. Southgate. Shaw. Thomas. Osborn. Wright. McGoldrick. Subs: Collymore (for Bodin). Thompson (Osborn)
That was also the night of the 40 minute long ‘Stevie Coppell’s Red n Blue Army’ in the 2nd half, no?
Old 22-04-2021, 08:16 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Not the best game to suddenly have an injury crisis after a pretty much stable side all season. Two kids in Osborn and Southgate making their first starts; no Young, Thorn, Gray or Bright.

Was a disappointing night being their as Liverpool’s class clearly shone through, but what remains with me to this day was the rendition of ‘Stevie Coppell’s red and blue army’ that went on and on and on. Not sure how long into the second half we started it, but it went on for ages and turned into a mantra that felt like for me, a celebration of the club’s most successful season even if it ended on a sour note through no fault of our own. Can’t recall us ever sustaining a chant like that before for as long as that, and was almost like a precursor to the HF 15 years early.

From memory, both Southgate and Osborn made a more than decent account for themselves . McGoldrick was imperious in his sweeper role, so gutted for him to score through his own net.

Old 22-04-2021, 08:22 PM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Not the best game to suddenly have an injury crisis after a pretty much stable side all season. Two kids in Osborn and Southgate making their first starts; no Young, Thorn, Gray or Bright.

Was a disappointing night being their as Liverpool’s class clearly shone through, but what remains with me to this day was the rendition of ‘Stevie Coppell’s red and blue army’ that went on and on and on. Not sure how long into the second half we started it, but it went on for ages and turned into a mantra that felt like for me, a celebration of the club’s most successful season even if it ended on a sour note through no fault of our own. Can’t recall us ever sustaining a chant like that before for as long as that, and was almost like a precursor to the HF 15 years early.

From memory, both Southgate and Osborn made a more than decent account for themselves . McGoldrick was imperious in his sweeper role, so gutted for him to score through his own net.
HF came along a lot later than 2005, was around 2011 they really became noticed I would say.
Old 22-04-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
HF came along a lot later than 2005, was around 2011 they really became noticed I would say.
Oh I always thought they were founded in 2005. I’m guessing you mean the incessant chanting didn’t begin for another 6 years? Moved to Scotland in 2003 so not sure about the timings of the group.

Old 22-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Oh I always thought they were founded in 2005. I’m guessing you mean the incessant chanting didn’t begin for another 6 years? Moved to Scotland in 2003 so not sure about the timings of the group.
In 2005 they would have all probably been about 12.
Old 23-04-2021, 07:10 AM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
On 23 April 1991 we travelled to Anfield to play Liverpool.

The timing of this was somewhat ironic, coming just a week or so after the powers that be had decided to kick little old Palace firmly in the gonads and welcome Liverpool back into the European fold. 18 months previously we had travelled up there in hope, only to witness the infamous 9-0 mauling. A lot of water had passed under the bridge since then of course, we had won our previous two games against them so this time around there was more optimism that we could hand their faltering title defence a potentially fatal blow.

It wasn't to be as we succumbed to a comfortable 3-0 defeat, we would have to wait until the following season to taste victory at Anfield. If memory serves though, this was the game in which Eddie McGoldrick played as a sweeper. This was certainly a bold move from Coppell, going with an untried formation and utilising a player in the pivotal position who as far as we knew had never played there in his life. As it turned out McGoldrick played well and he famously drew particular attention from the notoriously dour Allan Green on the live radio commentary, who repeatedly broke off from commenting on the game to marvel at McGoldrick's skill and bravery. It took something to draw praise from that miserable bugger so well done Eddie. The game culminated in a late McGoldrick own goal, this brought further howls of sympathy from Green.

In fact I believe the entire line up that night was relatively experimental, I think Southgate started and I have a recollection that Collymore came off the bench...maybe this was the cameo appearance that sewed the seed for his big money move to Anfield a few years later!
Quite correct about McGoldrick, Southgate & (my favourite commentator, cos I'm a miserable bugger too) Mr. Green

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 23-04-2021, 07:17 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner View Post
Quite correct about McGoldrick, Southgate & (my favourite commentator, cos I'm a miserable bugger too) Mr. Green
Generally not a fan on Alan Green, but I was that night. As well as lauding Eddie, he also commented frequently on the noise the Palace fans were making.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 23-04-2021, 07:24 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Similar recollection of the game mid week radio commentary. There was no chance of getting to Liverpool after work. No chance of arranging a meeting with overnight stay in those days either.
The team was suffering with injuries and the season was coming to an end. Yet a brave performance great away support. A total surprise with Eddie playing sweeper even more so how good he was.
A long way in a short time from the 9 0. With so much packed into it. One of those strange games a defeat even a heavy defeat at 3 0 but a feeling of pride in the team despite it.
Old 23-04-2021, 07:27 AM
Senior member & moaner

Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Generally not a fan on Alan Green, but I was that night. As well as lauding Eddie, he also commented frequently on the noise the Palace fans were making.
Made the long journey home barely endurable.

On another point, are Liverpool the only teams to have scored (or failed to score) the full range of goals in a game against us from 0 to 7? Must be due an 8-goal thrashing soon

Last edited by Mark Gardiner; 23-04-2021 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Clarify goals vs Palace
Old 23-04-2021, 09:47 AM

simon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I took my scouse girlfriend (now my wife) to this match. The only other matches she has been to are the 9-0 and the 0-0 with Everton earlier in this season, so never seen us score.

I was convinced that Barnes' goal was offside and you can see me looking across to the linesman on the highlights. Unfortunately it wasn't.

We actually played really well, and Eddie had a blinder at sweeper. Liverpool were just very, very good.

Support was amazing though, and as mentioned above the Stevie Coppell's Red 'n' Blue Army chant was possibly the longest and loudest I'd heard before or since. Pretty much the whole of the second half if I remember correctly, which I probably don't.
Old 23-04-2021, 09:49 AM
Baller!!!

All I remember from the season review highlights was after one of the goals the commentator says something like "And Martyn didn't have an Earthling!" Whatever that means?!

The Rush goal.I think.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:17 AM

November85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
It was during the administration period in early 2010 they took off I reckon.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Senior member & moaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
I took my scouse girlfriend (now my wife) to this match. The only other matches she has been to are the 9-0 and the 0-0 with Everton earlier in this season, so never seen us score.

I was convinced that Barnes' goal was offside and you can see me looking across to the linesman on the highlights. Unfortunately it wasn't.

We actually played really well, and Eddie had a blinder at sweeper. Liverpool were just very, very good.

Support was amazing though, and as mentioned above the Stevie Coppell's Red 'n' Blue Army chant was possibly the longest and loudest I'd heard before or since. Pretty much the whole of the second half if I remember correctly, which I probably don't.
Probably just beats the away leg of the Playoff Final at Blackburn in '89. We sang for about an hour before kick-off, but then were too knackered (or uninspired by the performance) to provide much support once the match started.

Old 23-04-2021, 11:36 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
All I remember from the season review highlights was after one of the goals the commentator says something like "And Martyn didn't have an Earthling!" Whatever that means?!

The Rush goal.I think.
"Didn't have" or "hasn't got an earthly" (not earthling) used to be a fairly common phrase but you don't hear it so much these days. Basically means that no-one on the planet would stand a chance, e.g. of saving that shot.
Old 23-04-2021, 11:42 AM
Baller!!!

Quote:
"Didn't have" or "hasn't got an earthly" (not earthling) used to be a fairly common phrase but you don't hear it so much these days. Basically means that no-one on the planet would stand a chance, e.g. of saving that shot.
That has always stuck in my mind.
Old 23-04-2021, 11:44 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
By the way, in case any of you pop pickers out there are wondering (you're probably not), in what must have been one of the most boring chart weeks on record there were no new entries into the top ten for week ending 20 April. No song within that top ten moved by more than three places, there was just a minor reshuffling of the pack. Chesney Hawkes and James still stuck at #s 1 and 2 respectively. So no update this week and no insights into my own musical biases.
Old 23-04-2021, 11:51 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Yup, exactly how I remember it. They were very complimentary about Eddie and the fans that night and saying what an injustice it was that Eddie got credited with an own goal - which incidentally I think came from pressure by future Palace hero Ray Houghton

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 23-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
By the way, in case any of you pop pickers out there are wondering (you're probably not), in what must have been one of the most boring chart weeks on record there were no new entries into the top ten for week ending 20 April. No song within that top ten moved by more than three places, there was just a minor reshuffling of the pack. Chesney Hawkes and James still stuck at #s 1 and 2 respectively. So no update this week and no insights into my own musical biases.
We're all bracing ourselves for a burst of Cher with 'Shoop Shoop' coming up soon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1