Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 20-09-2020, 10:51 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
I seem to recall that we were treated to an early display of the type of Gascoigne stupidity, that ultimately led to his downfall at the end of the season, when he ran some 20 yards to “do” Richard Shaw with a thigh high stamp/lunge. Fortunately Shaw avoided serious injury, probably because he saw him coming a mile off.
Old 21-09-2020, 09:11 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Spurs 1. Gascoigne
Palace 1. Thomas

Att: 34,859

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Thompson. Wright. Barber. Subs: Bright (for Barber). Hodges (unused)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 21-09-2020, 02:30 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Was it this game that they had Chas & Dave as the pre-match entertainment?
I don't know about that - I do know they were our pre-match entertainment one time v Bolton.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 21-09-2020, 02:37 PM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Gazza took the piss and the free kick was struck before the ref had blown his whilstle. Because Gazzamania was in full flow and Gazza was a 'cheeky chappy' that made it all OK and the ref allowed it.

Loved watching the bundle behind the goal when Geoff scored on telly the next day.

This was the game that told me Palace would be solid if nothing else this season. Three fancied teams out of the first six fixtures and still undefeated. These were exciting times.

As for me, this was just before I started venturing to away games so made do with my local team Gillingham hosting Maidstone in the short-lived (Maidstone only lasted 3 years before going bust) but 'high-spirited' Kent derby.

Best player on the pitch? Maidstone's Dave Madden, who I'd last seen playing four months previously in the Cup Final replay for Palace. Stood in the Gillingham end but enthusiastically applauding an opposition player wasn't the smartest move!

Old 21-09-2020, 06:26 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
I went to White Hart Lane that day. The Gazza mania was in full flow and I haven’t seen anything like it in the media before or since in this country. He really was a one off and this was probably the one season he was at his very best, before snapping his cruciate in the self inflicted injury in the FA Cup Final that season.

It was actually the first time they’d dropped points at The Lane since we beat them in March the previous season. The atmosphere at the game was electric and we took loads there. Recall the Spurs fans singing before the game, ‘We’ve got Gascoigne, we’ve got Gascoigne, you ain’t! You ain’t!’

Right from the kick off there was a feeling we were just there as another bit part to the ‘Gazza show’ and felt the officials were swept away with it too as every decision seemed to go their way. Remember spitting feathers throughout and made worse when Gazza was allowed to take a free kick while our players were still trying to sort our wall out. Martyn was still by his post organising the wall when Gazza struck. Ref went along with it and 1-0.

When the equaliser did come 10 minutes before the end, it was an explosion of joy from the 80 mins of utter frustration of feeling hard done by. It was so typical of that Palace team that they refused to be a side show for anyone. The looks on the Spurs fans faces were a joy to behold. They couldn’t believe that we had the audacity to come and spoil the Gazza party. Felt so proud of our boys. Despite this tidal wave against them they refused to give in and that Thomas goal is one of my highlights of that season.

My closest mates lived in Edmonton at the time and would go every other week to watch Spurs purely because Gazza was playing. A week later I couldn’t get to the Derby away match so went with them to watch Spurs entertain Villa. Got talking to a Spurs fan where I was standing and admitted who I supported and they commented on how amazingly crazy the Palace fans celebrations looked from the home end. The whole end really erupted.

As a sad post note of that game that I still recall....Was walking back from the game and a middle aged Spurs fan spotted us in our colours and said in passing, ‘Got to say your boys are not a bad team at all - credit where credits due. Just make sure the next time you come up you bring a few less black players with you.’ Couldn’t believe what I’d just heard and just stared at the guy in disgust as he walked the other way. What a wanker.

Old 21-09-2020, 06:48 PM

Swoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was in the Park Lane end that day and remember big Nige making a great save from jug ears at the Paxton Road end. We certainly matched them that day but the talking point was Gazza’s free kick,which nowadays would have earned him a yellow card. Six unbeaten, a great start to the season!!

Last edited by Swoonara; 21-09-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 21-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Probationary User

Shirley bennett is playing for a contract
Remember going to this game with my brother in law.hes a huge spurs fan (season ticket holder). He got me a ticket with him in the main stand and told me to sit on my hands all game.....did I f#£k.
When Geoff Equalised I went totally mad. I’ve never had so many people wanting to kill me.b.i.L dragged me back on my seat and somehow got out unscathed
Old 22-09-2020, 07:12 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Interesting to be reminded of the Gazza comments about boxing gloves. One thing the team had developed by this point was a real physical presence. This had been apparent in the latter part of the previous season as they had grown in confidence at that level, and I remember a right old ding dong at Plough Lane against the self-styled crazy gang only a week or two before the cup final. Dave Madden at the heart of proceedings on that occasion.

When you look at the spine of our team in 90/91 it's no surprise that we fancied ourselves in any physical battle - Young and Thorn, Thomas and Gray and Wright and Bright were a match for anyone in that department.
Old 22-09-2020, 07:19 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Back in the charts, these were the top ten new entrants week ending 22 September:

Holy Smoke by Iron Maiden - the veteran metallers would regularly gatecrash the top ten during this period but this one passed me by I'm afraid.

Show Me Heaven by Maria McKee - a massive number one smash from that Tom Cruise / Nicole Kidman film about racing cars, it stayed at the top for four weeks and became the sixth biggest selling single of the year. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it, she had a great voice.

Groovy Train by The Farm - debut hit for the scouse baggy scene bandwagon jumpers after years of trying. Harmless fun but hasn't aged well.
Old 22-09-2020, 07:47 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
I don't know about that - I do know they were our pre-match entertainment one time v Bolton.
Yes, but they also did the same at Spurs. My over-riding memory was that I had a migraine which had come on after going into the ground, tunnel vision / shimmery thing in my vision, and Chas & Dave seemed so unbelievably loud to my pounding head, I had to sit down at the top (back) of the terrace, trying not to throw up. The things we do to follow Palace...
Old 22-09-2020, 08:13 AM

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned the political landscape, but at this point in time the Conservatives were in their 11th year of power with Margaret Thatcher our Prime Minister. (But not for very much longer). Neil Kinnock was the Labour leader.

They feel like real historic figures from a bygone age and really brings it home how long ago we’re talking about.

Old 22-09-2020, 09:26 AM

HRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Not sure if anyone’s mentioned the political landscape, but at this point in time the Conservatives were in their 11th year of power with Margaret Thatcher our Prime Minister. (But not for very much longer). Neil Kinnock was the Labour leader.

They feel like real historic figures from a bygone age and really brings it home how long ago we’re talking about.
Never really recovered from the poll tax riots and football id memberships . She had nobody to go to war with to save her either
Old 22-09-2020, 11:03 AM

Talking of Maggie - she was elected the week Palace went up in front of 51000 v Burnley and then kicked out of No.10 also when Palace were flying.

It's just a shame about the ten years in the middle of her reign!!

Old 23-09-2020, 10:40 AM

Our League Cup campaign got underway on 25 September 1990 and what a night it was for the 5,666 hardy souls who were in attendance at Selhurst Park as we decimated Southend 8-0. Wright and Biright both hoped themselves to hat-tricks while Garry Thompson and Glyn Hodges chipped in with the other goals. I suspect it was probably Hodges' only goal during his ill-fated spell with us.

As was usual in those days we played a virtual full strength side. Will be interesting to see who Southend had in their line up once Bubbs posts all the stats - I'm wondering if Dean Austin might have started playing for them by then.

My recollection of the evening is that it wasn't as though we relentlessly peppered their goal with shots, we were just utterly clinical with the chances that presented themselves. A real sign of the confidence that was flowing through the team by this time following our unbeaten start to the season.

This massive win set us up nicely for a tough looking away game at Derby a few days later.
Old 23-09-2020, 10:51 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley bennett View Post
Remember going to this game with my brother in law.hes a huge spurs fan (season ticket holder). He got me a ticket with him in the main stand and told me to sit on my hands all game.....did I f#£k.
When Geoff Equalised I went totally mad. I’ve never had so many people wanting to kill me.b.i.L dragged me back on my seat and somehow got out unscathed
Ha! I did exactly that the season after when we won 1-0. McGoldrick scored - from memory it was about 10 minutes from the end.

We borrowed STs & had to ask a steward where our seats were (it was 3/4 of the way through the season ).

I properly went up when Eddie notched, then kept my wits about me for the last 10 minutes. It says there were less then 20k in White Hart Lane that day.

Apologies for straying from the 90-91 season....
Old 23-09-2020, 11:18 AM

colonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Our League Cup campaign got underway on 25 September 1990 and what a night it was for the 5,666 hardy souls who were in attendance at Selhurst Park as we decimated Southend 8-0. Wright and Biright both hoped themselves to hat-tricks while Garry Thompson and Glyn Hodges chipped in with the other goals. I suspect it was probably Hodges' only goal during his ill-fated spell with us.

As was usual in those days we played a virtual full strength side. Will be interesting to see who Southend had in their line up once Bubbs posts all the stats - I'm wondering if Dean Austin might have started playing for them by then.

My recollection of the evening is that it wasn't as though we relentlessly peppered their goal with shots, we were just utterly clinical with the chances that presented themselves. A real sign of the confidence that was flowing through the team by this time following our unbeaten start to the season.

This massive win set us up nicely for a tough looking away game at Derby a few days later.
I went to this one! Remember feeling Southend were not all that bad but we were just utterly ruthless in front of goal. Felt so bad I wanted to write to them and say we know how it feels (after Anfield) to be shoed when pretty much every shot on target went in and not to be too upset but realised that was a little patronising and besides I had no idea who to write to - no fans threads in those days.
Seeing as Bright had been on the bench for the first few games (hard as it is to believe) I think this cemented him back in the starting line up?
Old 23-09-2020, 01:42 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Our League Cup campaign got underway on 25 September 1990 and what a night it was for the 5,666 hardy souls who were in attendance at Selhurst Park as we decimated Southend 8-0...
The attendance was 9653, a decent crowd for that round of the League Cup, particularly in those days.
Old 23-09-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
The attendance was 9653, a decent crowd for that round of the League Cup, particularly in those days.
Interesting, I got my figure from Wikipedia but of course that is not an infallible source of historical facts.
Old 23-09-2020, 02:43 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Southend a potential banana skin of a game. One that despite having a season ticket was debating whether to go. Finally made my mind up in the afternoon. That decision meant l saw the most goals by Palace in one game. Still remains my record.
As said it was not as one sided as the score suggests. However the goals rained in no slip up. This was a Palace that was profressional on the pitch solid in defence deadly in attack. Long happy journey home.
Old 23-09-2020, 02:51 PM
Champagne Socialist

NickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
One of them was me.

My short years as season ticket holder covered Zenith Data Systems glory, FA Cup nearly glory and finishing third - not bad eh?