Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 01-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Kneevil View Post
How did I forget to include Chaka’s Like Sugar on my list? That bass still kills me.

It’s a great tune and she is a total legend in my opinion. That’s a cover of Bus Stop, which is just as good but 40 years older. 🏻
Old 01-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Well nobody's perfect

northernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Here's few borderline, not-quite-Disco which I admire

Who's Zooming Who - Aretha
You were always on my mind - Pet shop boys
The Crown - Stevie Wonder - check out the really long 15 min version - where he lets rip on the vocals
Old 01-08-2020, 08:19 AM

Danny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is here
Brothers Johnson - Stomp
Fatback band - I found lovin’
Jade - Don’t walk away.
Evelyn Thomas - High energy
Frank Sinatra - New York. (Even gets auntie Eileen on the dance floor)
Old 01-08-2020, 08:25 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsouler View Post
The Crown - Stevie Wonder - check out the really long 15 min version - where he lets rip on the vocals
Stevie Wonder only guests on it. It's actually by Gary Byrd & The GB Experience, and is fantastic.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:35 AM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
As an aside... going on football tours to Belgium in the late 70's... they sure knew how to do the disco thing in the night clubs there! (Ghent, Bruges, Zeebrugge)

Not sure I knew what I was listening to, but fit the bill...
Was in Ostend late 70s en route to the beer festival. Great disco clubs and a proper "English" boozer The Eagle.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:32 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Stevie Wonder only guests on it. It's actually by Gary Byrd & The GB Experience, and is fantastic.
Stevie also co-wrote it and it features Syreeta and Teena Marie amongst others on backing vocals and it is indeed super-fantastic.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:38 AM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
Trying to avoid the greats already on here but have to include some of my all time favourites:

If You Could Read My Mind - Viola Wills
I Don’t Love You Anymore - Teddy Pendergast
Going Back to my Roots - Odyssey
Take Your Time - Carol Williams
I Believe in Miracles - the Jackson Sisters
Old 01-08-2020, 11:50 AM
old git

pallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is here
All great tunes.
Billie jean mj
Old 01-08-2020, 04:53 PM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
The Sugar Hill Gang - Rappers Delight:

Old 01-08-2020, 05:13 PM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
Me and my little horrors used to have an evening mini disco which i’ve phased out over the last year due to their always asking Alexa for “Born to be ******* alive”. It doesn’t pay to royally p*** me off. When things were under control the top three (have to come back for two more)were always pretty much

Which Way is up - Stargard
Gotta Go Home. - Boney M
Car Wash. - Rose Royce
Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 PM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford triumph View Post
Trying to avoid the greats already on here but have to include some of my all time favourites:

If You Could Read My Mind - Viola Wills
I Don’t Love You Anymore - Teddy Pendergast
Going Back to my Roots - Odyssey
Take Your Time - Carol Williams
I Believe in Miracles - the Jackson Sisters
Good choices here. The Richie Hawtins version of Going Back to My Roots is excellent, too. Long funky intro. And Carol Williams’ Love Is You is a banging track with the hook for Spiller’s Groovejet.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:00 PM

ChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is hereChiswickEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Stevie also co-wrote it and it features Syreeta and Teena Marie amongst others on backing vocals and it is indeed super-fantastic.
It is uncomfortably similar to post 69 below. Banging tune though.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:23 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
The Richie Hawtins version of Going Back to My Roots is excellent, too. Long funky intro.
Richie Havens, innit.

I mentioned this on another thread recently but Sylvester's "Over and Over" is absolutely immense, especially when he seques into "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" (Ashford & Simpson wrote so many bangers - "The Boss", "Bourgie Bourgie", "I'm Every Woman" &c. and that's just the disco-y ones).
Old 01-08-2020, 11:26 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiswickEagle View Post
It is uncomfortably similar to post 69 below. Banging tune though.
Nowt wrong with "Rapper's Delight" apart from Big Bank Hank absolutely teefing off Grandmaster Caz, and the fact that Chic may have been robbed a little bit too.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 AM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Richie Havens, innit.

I mentioned this on another thread recently but Sylvester's "Over and Over" is absolutely immense, especially when he seques into "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" (Ashford & Simpson wrote so many bangers - "The Boss", "Bourgie Bourgie", "I'm Every Woman" &c. and that's just the disco-y ones).
Oops, yes. Richie Hawtins is an undiscovered genius, largely because he doesn’t exist.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:55 AM
jft39

Quote:
Oops, yes. Richie Hawtins is an undiscovered genius, largely because he doesn’t exist.
He almost does but shouldn't really be on a disco thread.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:01 AM
Weirdly Proud

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Old 02-08-2020, 10:35 AM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
Quote:
Good choices here. The Richie Hawtins version of Going Back to My Roots is excellent, too. Long funky intro. And Carol Williams’ Love Is You is a banging track with the hook for Spiller’s Groovejet.
Yeah, love the Richie Havens version too but the quiet build up on the Odyssey version gets me every time even after all these years. Carol Williams is rather underrated.
Old 22-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hard task this one, but here's my two cents...

Cerrone - Love in C Minor
DC La Rue - Cathedrals
Atmosfear - Dancin' in Outer Space
T Connection - Do what you wanna do
George McCrea - Rock your baby
Miracles - Love Machine
Old 22-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Weirdly Proud

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Club Underworld is my favourite Cerrone track