Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-02-2021, 12:12 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Is it bad if I cant be bothered to hate Brighton?
Old 13-02-2021, 02:35 AM

Le Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I cannot support hate at any level any and especially in sport where the makeup of teams changes with great regularity.
I can understand not liking a certain player because he may have provoked an injury to one of ours or because he often scores against us, but hate come on..
The same player may get transferred to us
Do we still hate him ? No we praise him because he is one of ours

It makes absolutely no sense to hate a collective in sport but accept that rivalries can and do exist but below the level of hate
In earlier days our main rivals, due to proximity were Millwall and Charlton and there were frequent "altercations" but I never had that feeling of either giving nor receiving hate.
Old 13-02-2021, 07:03 AM

cheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneseagles View Post
I still have the programme from the Fulham game, remember a huge Palace following and I think Bobby Moore scored his one and only goal for Fulham that day.
Remember both those games esp Swindon if you thought our stands were poor
sat in the stand opposite the players tunnel ,just to get into the stands we had to climb this rotten rickety old wooden staircase that seemed to be swaying .
There was a large palace following and walking up to the ground you could hear them .
Old 13-02-2021, 07:09 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverymoon View Post
Yes I remember the Fulham game. The Palace fans took over almost the whole stand and the noise and the jumping around made it feel like the stand was going to collapse.
I thought we had 3/4 of the whole ground or is my memory playing tricks?

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 15-02-2021, 06:53 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Near the station? FWIW I didnít go that day but we also had massive support at Luton in 1977-8. I walked from the station through that Arndale shopping centre to the pedestrian high st about 4 years ago and it still was exactly the same as I remembered it forty years earlier.
Remember it kicking off on way back to station at Luton but think that was early 80s we lost 1 0
Old 15-02-2021, 10:29 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Trapper View Post
I cannot support hate at any level any and especially in sport where the makeup of teams changes with great regularity.
I can understand not liking a certain player because he may have provoked an injury to one of ours or because he often scores against us, but hate come on..
The same player may get transferred to us
Do we still hate him ? No we praise him because he is one of ours

It makes absolutely no sense to hate a collective in sport but accept that rivalries can and do exist but below the level of hate
In earlier days our main rivals, due to proximity were Millwall and Charlton and there were frequent "altercations" but I never had that feeling of either giving nor receiving hate.
Thatís one way of looking at it, but it really is wide of the mark as far as Iím concerned.

When you look at how the Palace/Brighton rivalry started it had many sub-plots to it that culminated into a perfect storm of rivalry on many levels that continued long after the initial clashes of the early 70ís.

There were two very ambitious clubs, larger than life managers, not just Venables and Mullery, but before them, Allison and Clough, who although not direct rivals, had raised the profiles and expectations of both sets of fans, the atmosphere had been building between the summer of 1973 right up to those mega clashes in the 1976/77 season.

Millwall and to a lesser extent Charlton will always be big derby matches, but there has never been a situation, to my knowledge, where the ambitions of both clubs kept pace over a sustained time.

The rivalry continued well after 1976/77 as Palace and Brighton continued to progress towards Division One in 1979 and even though our fortunes were poor after 1981 with our relegation, our rivalry resumed by 1983 in Division Two and although the gates were much smaller in the 1980s clashes, the feeling, especially at such a hostile time generally in football fermented by those fans of the time, who were mainly hardcore supporters anyway.

If you take football Ďrivalriesí as not really being an issue much before the late 1950s - Palace v Charlton was not a fixture between the mid 1930s to the late 1960s and we were hardly in the same division for more than a couple of seasons at any point.

Millwall always was the main rivalry - but here too, there were not the same amount of fixtures in the 1970s as there were with Brighton when the rivalry developed, taking several thousand fans to Millwall was never going to happen for very obvious reasons too!
Old 15-02-2021, 10:33 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Is it bad if I cant be bothered to hate Brighton?
Not at all. I love reading the stories of the early days of the rivalry but when our 3rd round FA Cup match with them a couple of years ago was played out in front of 20,000 empty seats it signalled to me at least that the rivalry had had its day.
Old 16-02-2021, 04:26 PM

Rob T is playing for a contract
Double Post

Last edited by Rob T; 16-02-2021 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 16-02-2021, 04:34 PM

Rob T is playing for a contract
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEagle View Post
Was it really an underground car park. I recall a big issue in a car park but I thought it was a multi-storey one.

I think you are correct. It was the ground floor of a multi-storey. Myself and my mate were chased through it and around and over the parked cars there !

Couple of years later back in Luton I was ambushed with other palace fans in the old style shopping centre on the way back to the station. Got smacked in the face for my trouble. Luton always seemed a dodgy ground for me !
Old 16-02-2021, 05:26 PM

Garfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc View Post
Remember it kicking off on way back to station at Luton but think that was early 80s we lost 1 0
I remember bricks being thrown by Luton supporters. From memory Jerry Murphy was in the team that day so I'm guessing it was around 1980.
Old 16-02-2021, 07:32 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
It was Boxing Day 1988 iirc that we took a particularly big following down to that den of inequity a few years before the ground became Toys R Us. We were given the corner section next to the North Stand but packed it out quickly with people getting crushed. Eventually the police agreed an extra section should be given to us.
Old 16-02-2021, 07:48 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy View Post
I remember bricks being thrown by Luton supporters. From memory Jerry Murphy was in the team that day so I'm guessing it was around 1980.
Think Your right Murphy played think mabbutt played as well so was probaly 81 82 around that time