Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

View Poll Results: What is Palace’s average league position since 1958/59?
15 0 0%
16 0 0%
17 0 0%
18 1 0.56%
19 2 1.13%
20 2 1.13%
21 3 1.69%
22 2 1.13%
23 5 2.82%
24 11 6.21%
25 4 2.26%
26 7 3.95%
27 5 2.82%
28 13 7.34%
29 10 5.65%
30 19 10.73%
31 13 7.34%
32 11 6.21%
33 15 8.47%
34 11 6.21%
35 12 6.78%
36 9 5.08%
37 5 2.82%
38 5 2.82%
39 3 1.69%
40 4 2.26%
41 2 1.13%
42 0 0%
43 0 0%
44 0 0%
45 1 0.56%
46 0 0%
47 0 0%
48 1 0.56%
49 0 0%
50 0 0%
51 0 0%
52 0 0%
53 0 0%
54 0 0%
55 0 0%
56 1 0.56%
57 0 0%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-04-2021, 03:59 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
A Championship club punching above our weight.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 15-04-2021, 04:53 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
28th. Total guess.
Old 15-04-2021, 04:56 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
My early days as a Palace fan

1st Season FA Cup Semi as a 3rd Division club
2nd Season Promotion to 2nd Division
3rd Season Respectable 9th Place
4th Season Promotion as Champions to top Flight
5th Season Team of the 80s is born

As an 11 year old I thought I was so lucky that my local team were so great and on the verge of world domination
Exactly the same as me. And I thought it would always be that way.
Old 15-04-2021, 05:00 PM

eastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteastend eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
My early days as a Palace fan

1st Season FA Cup Semi as a 3rd Division club
2nd Season Promotion to 2nd Division
3rd Season Respectable 9th Place
4th Season Promotion as Champions to top Flight
5th Season Team of the 80s is born

As an 11 year old I thought I was so lucky that my local team were so great and on the verge of world domination
Worth noting perhaps that, objectively, our last five seasons have been much more successful than those ones.
Old 15-04-2021, 05:53 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastend eagle View Post
Worth noting perhaps that, objectively, our last five seasons have been much more successful than those ones.
In terms of bank balance, of course. But in terms of actually being a fan, I would wager that there is no comparison.
Old 15-04-2021, 06:00 PM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
A Championship club punching above our weight.
You could interpret it that way. I would prefer to call us a 'club with huge potential who are just starting to fulfil it'
Old 15-04-2021, 06:04 PM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
But in terms of actually being a fan, I would wager that there is no comparison.
The late 70s were a good time to be a Palace fan
Old 15-04-2021, 06:05 PM

mrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmrB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I went 28th, pretty close!
Old 15-04-2021, 07:01 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
So in effect we’re 10th in the Championship.

It would take two more mid table Premier League finishes (after this season) for us to rise to 29th.

Before CPFC2010 bought the club we were in 32nd place.

An interesting aside on working out our average position is that I was able to assess four Palace owners individual average positions. Because Bloye, Noades, Jordan and Parish all had their first full season as chairman in the second tier, our average position under each of their stewardship is quite an accurate indication of their on field achievement at Palace.

Bloye: 35th
Noades: 25th
Jordan: 31st
Parish: 19th
Great work - LOVE this piece of research

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 15-04-2021, 07:06 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
The late 70s were a good time to be a Palace fan
Just before my time but I absolutely love seeing clips and new stories from that era. That whole 76-79 part looks a whole load of fun....all while being the best dressed team in the league as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 15-04-2021, 07:45 PM
per aspera ad astra!

RAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce the voice View Post
me too the same year.

Thanks for doing this--it's fascinating. What's amazing to me is that we've managed to avoid relegation to Division Three for 45+ years. I remember being very nervous in 1982-93 and 1983-84; given how far we had fallen from the team of the eighties I think slipping into Division Three then might well have led to a real disaster (bad as those years were before Coppell)
Since those two seasons you mention, there was also the 2000/01 season and the glorious midweek evening at Portsmouth with Freedman in his pomp. Which he surpassed at Stockport on the following Sunday. The picture of 'that goal' taken by a Palace fan from behind the goal has the ball hitting the net just before it rolls down the inside of the netting. The split second is caught beautifully as along with the faithful we were about to go totally barmy!

The picture has been on my lounge wall for 20 years this year.
Old 15-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Del Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Winner At Last - was a goo, educated guess, but I went with the round number!
Old 16-04-2021, 10:50 AM

Carlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
So in effect we’re 10th in the Championship.

It would take two more mid table Premier League finishes (after this season) for us to rise to 29th.

Before CPFC2010 bought the club we were in 32nd place.

An interesting aside on working out our average position is that I was able to assess four Palace owners individual average positions. Because Bloye, Noades, Jordan and Parish all had their first full season as chairman in the second tier, our average position under each of their stewardship is quite an accurate indication of their on field achievement at Palace.

Bloye: 35th
Noades: 25th
Jordan: 31st
Parish: 19th
Worth noting this last when we feel we are not being thoroughly entertained recently.

I keep having this nagging feeling it must all go wrong soon - 5 decades of Palace supporting for you
Old 19-04-2021, 05:34 PM
Probationary User

Brian Bason FC is playing for a contract
28th