Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-08-2020, 08:33 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Saw this old picture of Marvin Hinton of Chelsea. Is this not taken at Mitcham training ground?

Sure I’ve heard Chelsea used it before us.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 24-08-2020, 08:58 PM

Dogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDogburger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes Chelsea trained there previously . I remember playing against one of their youth teams in the mid 70's at the Mitcham ground .
Old 24-08-2020, 10:02 PM

asus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Remember being taken along there by school for a training session run by Chelsea youth teamers as part of some badge they were doing.
Old 25-08-2020, 02:44 PM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Saw this old picture of Marvin Hinton of Chelsea. Is this not taken at Mitcham training ground?

To view the link you have to Register or Login
My mum went to school with Marvin.
must have been at Ashburton school.
Old 30-03-2021, 10:32 AM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The programme for the opening 1977/78 South Eastern Counties fixture against Millwall. Are there any others out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mill1.jpg (305.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg mill2.jpg (444.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg mill3.jpg (418.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg mill4.jpg (351.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 30-03-2021, 10:36 AM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The remaining four pages. Own up, which one of you is Alison?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mill5.jpg (288.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg mill6.jpg (409.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg mill7.jpg (254.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg mill8.jpg (222.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 30-03-2021, 10:38 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Interesting to note that Steve Leahy seemed to be our main goalscorer in that side...I make that 21 goals in the 40 games. Of course he never really made the grade, my only real memory of him as a young fan is him coming on as a sub when we beat Middlesbrough 5-2 early on in that ill-fated 1980/81 season.
Old 30-03-2021, 10:42 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Sorry Barnabas, I started typing before your page 2 popped up.

A few familiar names in that Millwall squad, Tony Kinsella, Dave Mehmet and Kevin O'Callaghan. Mehmet ended up involved in the Millwall youth set up himself after he retired, I encountered him once or twice and let's just say he was an interesting character.

Steve McKenzie playing for us in what looks like an experimental line up.
Old 30-03-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Interesting to note that Steve Leahy seemed to be our main goalscorer in that side...I make that 21 goals in the 40 games. Of course he never really made the grade, my only real memory of him as a young fan is him coming on as a sub when we beat Middlesbrough 5-2 early on in that ill-fated 1980/81 season.
As I have commented elsewhere, Steven Leahy was a major component of our Youth Cup-winning side. I especially remember his two-goal contribution in the third round tie against Arsenal (played at Mitcham and not Selhurst for some reason). We were close to going out until his coolly-taken late penalty.
Old 30-03-2021, 11:12 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabas View Post
As I have commented elsewhere, Steven Leahy was a major component of our Youth Cup-winning side. I especially remember his two-goal contribution in the third round tie against Arsenal (played at Mitcham and not Selhurst for some reason). We were close to going out until his coolly-taken late penalty.
He had some hair, too.........
Old 30-03-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
He had some hair, too.........
We all had back then!
Old 30-03-2021, 11:27 AM

Mick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Neil Banfield was also very highly rated, but don't think he ever made the first team. I believe that he had a successful career coaching at the Arsenal academy.
Old 30-03-2021, 11:32 AM

Mick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMick : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Neil Banfield was also very highly rated, but don't think he ever made the first team. I believe that he had a successful career coaching at the Arsenal academy.
Just googled it- he did in fact make 3 first team appearances and was actually promoted to first team coach at Arsenal. Currently working for QPR.
Old 30-03-2021, 04:17 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

][/url]

John Boyle, the Chelsea right full back lived around the corner from us on Stratford Road. Often wondered why he was living in Fort Neef instead of the Kings Road. Realize now that players will pick a residence nearer the training ground than near the clubs home ground. Makes sense as you're only at the home ground a couple of times a week.
Old 30-03-2021, 05:28 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabas View Post
The reason was Alan Mullery didn't like Mitcham
Is that so? Well, I lived in Mitcham before I moved here, and I think Mullery's a ****, so that makes us even.
Old 31-03-2021, 08:50 AM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
How times have changed, Chelsea training at Mitcham to their current amazing set up are just world's apart.
Old 31-03-2021, 06:23 PM

grand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is heregrand aigle Sam the man is here
Got invited for a trial at Mitcham (for Chelsea !!) went to Stamford Bridge, met afew players in the snooker room (Osgood, Bonetti, Harris, Hudson) then got put on a coach back to Mitcham, about 15 minutes from home ! Needless to say wasnt signed by Chelsea (their loss lol)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:06 PM

hulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
My mum went to school with Marvin.
must have been at Ashburton school.
She must have gone to school with my dad and his mates as well as they were all best mates with Marvin and played for the school team with him. He used to turn up to play for Woodside with them under a false name so that Chelsea didn't hear about it.