Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 31-03-2021, 08:42 PM

CrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkCrayzePat sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZARD View Post
Same last year tbh something to do with lockdown easing/good weather I would think - extra demand?
So the manager lied to Bob?

PS I agree with with what you say about extra demand, but the conclusion is rather dismissive of the extra issues being encountered this year.
Old 31-03-2021, 08:49 PM

Paulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
Deffo in Aus....So many Visas and jumping through hoops for certain categories of people trying to migrate.

I was an immigrant here from the start on account of being married to an Aus. Whereas plenty of people on work visas require certain things to happen before they can become Immigrants. Those people are currently ex-pats. They are not permanent.... and thus not immigrants..... yet.
Doesn't have to be permanent residents. All those on visas with leave to remain that expires are consider immigrants in the UK in government statistics, even students.
Old 31-03-2021, 08:52 PM

Paulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulinmorden came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayzePat View Post

PS I agree with with what you say about extra demand, but the conclusion is rather dismissive of the extra issues being encountered this year.
It's a thing. Shortage of supply and shipping problems especially rising costs.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 31-03-2021, 09:45 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleDAN View Post
thats bollox.

an expat is someone who's living in Britain because it offers a lifestyle that they consider beneficial to them overall. They might still yearn for aspects of Turkey, Somalia, Pakistan etc but, at that time, overall, the new country is where they want/need to live at that time.

A bit like being one of the Indian nationals that live in the 6th largest Indian populated city : London.

oh, and the EU isn't a country. And won't be.
EFA
Old 01-04-2021, 04:54 AM
I am a Bad Man

RazorsEdge has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
Try and buy garden furniture post Brexit. Us oldies love a garden centre. Why we voted for this I do not know.

We've been to three today now that we can see people in the garden. You can't even order it. One store manager told us getting deliveries from Europe is now too expensive and inefficient to bother with.
Misfit did post an article it is not just garden furniture, even the flowers etc are from EU

Old 01-04-2021, 06:40 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Aren't 'expatriate' and 'immigrant' two sides of the same coin? You are simultaneously an expatriate from your home country, and an immigrant in your new country. Depending on the context, it is accurate to use either term.

'British expatriates may not vote in the Brexit referendum.'

'British immigrants may vote in Spanish local elections.'
Old 01-04-2021, 07:36 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
You’re an emigrant. Or rather, I am.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:50 AM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Aren't 'expatriate' and 'immigrant' two sides of the same coin? You are simultaneously an expatriate from your home country, and an immigrant in your new country. Depending on the context, it is accurate to use either term.

It may be accurate but itís also a product of British exceptionalism.

It stinks.

Cricket wanker.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:53 AM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post

It stinks.
Is there anything you donít get outraged about nowadays ?

Old 01-04-2021, 08:30 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus mickus View Post
What is this Ex Pat you speak of? What does it actually mean ?

Apart from immigrant.
To view the link you have to Register or Login

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 01-04-2021, 09:11 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post

It stinks.
You maybe right, but I am not sure. Don't get more wrong there is much to dislike about colonialism, but there is also an aspect of working overseas for a period of time but seeing yourself as being from where you were born/identify with.

So for example my Grandfather and great Uncle, basically the whole of my mother's side of the family, made their lives in Chile but saw themselves entirely as British. Coming back for example to fight in WW1.

Likewise there are many who come to London with the intention of working x number of years and returning to whence they came.

I see that as different to someone who moves to a country with the intention of living there forever.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:12 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Youíre an emigrant. Or rather, I am.
emigrť, sais plus un bon mot
Old 01-04-2021, 09:31 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayzePat View Post

I'm sure the demand is also a big part of it. After all, being with people in the garden is all we're allowed to do. I don't know anything about international trade, but the manager did say Brexit has crippled garden furniture imports. But he also said his furniture came from Egypt and I didn't have the heart to tell him it was not currently an EU member.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:37 AM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
The Suez side or Port Said side?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:44 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
The Suez side or Port Said side?
I wish I'd taken you with me.

Unlike the wife who was just moaning about the lack of availability and telling the guy that we voted remain as if that would somehow get us preferential treatment.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
You maybe right, but I am not sure. Don't get more wrong there is much to dislike about colonialism, but there is also an aspect of working overseas for a period of time but seeing yourself as being from where you were born/identify with.

So for example my Grandfather and great Uncle, basically the whole of my mother's side of the family, made their lives in Chile but saw themselves entirely as British. Coming back for example to fight in WW1.

Likewise there are many who come to London with the intention of working x number of years and returning to whence they came.

I see that as different to someone who moves to a country with the intention of living there forever.
I think this is broadly right.

Simplistically I view an expat as temporarily being overseas, where an emigrant is permanent. An expat is less likely to immerse themselves fully in where they are living, whereas an emigrant would because they have no current intention of returning.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:01 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post

Yes, well rather expatriate and emigrant would be, I think (although from the hosting nations side, I guess it would be immigrant). Expatriate is a strange term which denotes a kind of contradictory state in which one embraces a national identity to which one no longer really can be said to belong. Expatriate seems to me, to suggest less of a duality of national identity but the maximum maintaining of your original national identity at the exclusion of the new.

Expatriatism within the UK is probably more prevalent in temporary migration and asylum, than those intending to settle permanently in the UK (where in reality becoming 'more British' is kind of a necessity of progression). That said, my experience is a bias sample, as many of those I know who are settled British ex-foreign nationals are South African and White
Old 01-04-2021, 10:26 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
It also depends upon the ability to become, say, a British citizen whilst remaining a citizen of another country. And of course the tax implications that, for example, can hound American citizens even those who have been here years.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
It also depends upon the ability to become, say, a British citizen whilst remaining a citizen of another country. And of course the tax implications that, for example, can hound American citizens even those who have been here years.
From recollection there are only two countries that assess tax on their citizens irrespective of location, being the US and China. The U.K. does but only in very limited circumstances (for instance embassy staff posted overseas are generally still subject to U.K. tax)
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:10 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Its a remarkably short list of British Nationals how can claim dual nationality (if you're applying for British citizenship). I don't know how reciprocal that actually is.